Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sleep aids  (Read 5715 times)

Joyce

Sleep aids
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

Any ideas ladies? My stomach doesn't tolerate anything with Valerian, makes me extremely nauseous after 2/3 nights nor does it help with sleep.

I got Rescue Remedy Night capsules, don't get the nausea, but still not getting decent sleep.

Hubby bought me stuff for my pulse points, not much joy there either.

It takes about 2 hours or so to fall asleep, despite hardly being able to keep my eyes open. I've kept to usual routine at night, if I try going later it makes no difference, still takes couple of hours to nod off. Then I waken just after 3am & can only doze thereafter until I get up. I toss & turn the whole time. Hot baths/drinks are waste of time, in fact make it worse. I sleep on my own these days as I'm such a restless sleeper.   

Just need something to break the habit. Last bad spell GP gave me Zopiclone, but only allowed 2 weeks worth.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sleep aids
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

Are you able to fall asleep on the settee?  If so, do so.  Get a blanket and pull over you as you feel sleepy.  You may sleep through the night.

I had many years not sleeping.  Then 1 night I thought 'so what' ……… and usually I sleep better (that was in 1980s).  I do get nights when I am unable to drop off; I have nights when I wake intermittently.  Some mornings I wake earlier than I would like.

For years I had a radio by the bed tuned low to Radio2.  Music can be soothing.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

I found a sleep/wave sound app quite good for a while.

Now if I can't sleep I stop trying and read for a while and then try again.

Have you tried melatonin tablets CG. There are quite a few that have found it helped. SL uses it. Have a search.

Honeyb
x

minkusmum

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »

I agree with CLKD. For me I have to just accept that I might have a bad night, then I usually don't. If that happens I have always managed to get through the day, usually with the help of a few paracetamol, which take the edge off the shattered feeling for me. If I really need to get a decent night I take something with diphenhydramine in it, which is an old antihistamine now used as a sleep aid. I think that's what's in Nytol in the UK, or in Panadol Night. It works for a night or two, then the effect wears off, so you can't get hooked.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »

I found wearing solar shield amber glasses ( Amazon around £16 plus p&p ) for 2 hours before going to bed helped. This is to protect from blue light from TVs, PCs, lights etc. There has been research done in this area. It didn't help with waking up in the middle of the night, though.

Aethelede

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »

I use half a Nytol (can't remember why I ended up just using half - think a full one must have been too much) but only every now and again as HRT has helped with the insomnia. They do seem to work best after a break. Might be worth a try.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »

Nytol are problematic. Herbal ones have Valerian, other ones have lactose. If it's not one thing it's another, but thanks for suggestions.  Went to local Boots & have bought a pillow spray, so will give it a try. Not sure about the melatonin. Looked it up & it says there are contraindications with HRT.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »

I find that I seem to have a "sleep window" . It seems to last for about 15/20 mins after I turn out the lights. If I don't get over during that period then I know i will have problems.
When I have nights that I can't get over, before I give up and start to read I try tummy breathing. If I concentrate on that then it definitely helps.
Some nights I end up in the kitchen having hot milk and toast.  :P

It's the most awful thing. I cope so much better anxiety wise if I sleep.
I do try and get a walk in during the day.  a brisk walk along the shore helps.

Funnily enough the more tired I am then the poorer I sleep.

Hope you get it sorted soon CG.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »

If I have problems getting to sleep I try the 3:2:1 anxiety exercise of Bette's which I adapted for when I was in bed because you can't see - it seems to stop my brain racing about worrying about things or imagining scenarios. It usually seems to work if it's not a headache keeping me awake. Have a look there - my adpatation should be somewhere in the last few pages I think.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »

If I'm hungry or thirsty I can have trouble dropping off to sleep.

Milamam

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »

CG, melatonin is what works for me, if needed I take 3mg tablet one hour before the desired time to sleep and it has always worked. It is a supplement replacing the melatonin produced by your brain when it gets darker, and also helps adjust the body rythm which might be disturbed by the lack of sleep. No heavy head feeling in the morning.

Milamam

minkusmum

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »

Cubagirl, if you can't take Nytol tablets, you can get diphenhydramine as drops, which presumably are lactose free  :)

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »

Thanks ladies. Last night sprayed room with lavender spray, then some tummy breathing exercises. I'd forgotten about them HB & Hurdity, thanks for reminding me. May have been luck or exhaustion, but had great sleep last night.

Meadowblue

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »

Another sufferer here.  It is so debilitating.  I agree sometimes when I am most tired is when I can't sleep.  I have tried nearly every herbal tablet going with very limited success.  The Nytol non herbal I find give me a fuzzy head next morning.  Melatonin works sometimes not always.  I also try a spray of magnesium which sometimes works.  Wish I could sleep like I did before this silly meno.   >:(

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »

Mine was a one night wonder. So disappointed.