Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello to everyone from a new member just starting HRT Femoston 2/10  (Read 6318 times)

SlinkyKitty

Hi everyone, I am located in Melbourne, Australia, am 54 and just starting HRT.
My last period was 4 months ago, for the 2 years prior they had become irregular, some normal, some very light.    I have had no sign whatsoever of any period coming and have been having difficulty with mood swings, I cry at the drop of a hat, and have got to the stage where the GP has just prescribed Femoston 2/10.   Recent blood tests indicate Estradiol at about 90, FSH over 1000, Progesterone 0.9.   
I notice that there is a 1/10 version of Femoston , however that is not available in Australia.
I am a little worried about taking HRT, and started taking them yesterday.  I have a dull headache, my stomach feels a little bloated, and one thing I do notice is that I have light pain over the gallbladder area.  ( I do have a single gallstone however that causes no issues other than dull pain rarely)

I am wondering if the 2/10 is a strong type of HRT, and whether I should be concerned about the bloating and headaches.
Thankyou for any information.  :)

peegeetip

Re: Hello to everyone from a new member just starting HRT Femoston 2/10
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »

Hi Kitty

hope your feeling back to normal asap on the HRT.

Takes a wee while for our bodies to realize what they have been missing ;)

Looks like maybe due to your age ;D - that doc has put you on medium level - see the following to help.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Just to help - why are you worried about the HRT? I'm assuming you did what a lot of us do and just discuss with the doc?

:-*

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »

Hi and welcome SlinkyKitty
Femoston is a good HRT to try as the progesterone in it is one of the kindest and brings fewer side effects. peegeetip is right, you have been given the stronger dose and it might have been better to start on the lower dose as this may have suited you in this peri stage of your menopause.
Try not to look for problems - your own hormones will probably still be fluctuating so may bring some side effects that will settle down as your own hormones drop.
If after the first month you are getting too many side effects I'd ask for the 1/10 Femoston.
HRT is the natural way to reduce meno symptoms but you sometimes have to persevere to find the right one.  Any risks don't really kick in till you are 60 and you will be protecting your heart and bones while taking HRT.
DG x

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »

Hello, Kitty and welcome to the forum!
I have been on Femoston 2/10 for 4 months already. I was started on this dose because here we don't have the 1/10, similar to Australia. I live in Bulgaria. I started becaused i had irregular periods, night sweats, depressed moods, anxiety, incontenance, and nausea. My hormone tests showed estrogen below 40. So the doc decided it is time for me to start HRT and that femoston is the closest possible to the human hormones and very easy to take ( i.e. One pill a day  every day).

I did experience some nausea and stomach acid problems when I started, and then one month i did het headaches before my period but now I think much has improved side effects wise. Night sweats are gone now, as well as incontenance (huraah) , nausea and stomach acids. I have generally better moods and still experience some anxiety but I am hopeful that with time these will settle, too.

Table HRT can cause slow release of gallbladder juice which can be the reason for your discomfort. I have felt some heaviness in the gallbladder area during the first two months but nothing serious to my knowledge. These feelings have gone now.

Good luck with your regime. This site is so full of knowledgeable ladies and lots of information (left of screen), i hope you take good use of it! It has helped me  a lot!

Mila xxxx

peegeetip

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »

Hi Kitty

I agree with Dancinggirl and Milamam - you've been given a good option by your doc.
However 1/10 could take longer to kick in and settle your wider peri symptoms.

I wouldn't change for now though - keep pushing forward - and let things settle. You are looking at low/medium doses so its not like your on higher options - so dont worry  8)
If you're concerned after a couple of months (at least) - then get a blood test just to confirm your Estrogen isnt too high if you get E related side effect - dont confuse this with the doc saying that you'll get false readings - it should just be there to ease your mind.

We're all different when it comes to bloating btw- for me certain food tends to cause me far more problems than the HRT (tablet) :o  ;D

On the weight gain side - mine was already on the way up prior to any HRT - due to too much good food and wine ;D

Sit back, drink more tea (wine of choice if you want too) and relax

:-*

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:40:03 PM by peegeetip »

SlinkyKitty

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »

Thankyou so much for the replies. I really appreciate them.

The gallbladder pain has been increasing. I did not have a tablet today as the pain was getting quite severe.

Do you think I could cut the tablets in half so in effect that would be 1/10 dose?
I would prefer to start on the smaller dose.   (Its silly that over here the smallest is 2/10)

ellie66

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »

Femston 2/10 is fabulous very gentle and effective. :) I was on it on for about 4 years.  I doubt it will affect your gallbladder. Give 3 months and it should settle. Also not everything is caused by HRT. You have been given one of the best HRT's  :)

Milamam

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »

Hi,
I wouldn't cut the tablets into two. This may give you less estrogen but will also give you less progestine which then can lead to disbalance. The difference in 2/10 and 1/10 is the amount of estrogen while the progestin is the same amount in both.

Mila