Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: amitriptyline and weight gain  (Read 28471 times)

moonbeam121167

amitriptyline and weight gain
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »

Afternoon all, need some help, been back on Amitriptyline now for a few months, was at first on 10mg then after a few weeks was told to up to 20mg which as helped with the headaches but my weight has increased, I am normally a 12 but now I am a 14 and this upsets me BIG time, I was a 10 but since all this Hysterectomy and HRT I have gone up to a 12 which I felt not to bad about but a 14 that awful .  Has any one have this issue with these pills, I dont eat crappy food cause I have stomach probs, I hardly every eat a biscuit, never eat chocolate, always eating fruit, I dont exercise much, ride a bike sometimes and have started some gentle stomach exercises but the weight seems to be piling on , I think I am going to reduce down to 10mg for a while, I do have a appointment with the Meno consultant in October and hoping he will try me on Testosterone to see if it will help with my energy and libido so then I will be able to have the get up and go and they also say Testosterone can help with the middle age spread. If I dont try something I am afraid I will continue getting fat and that isnt happening... :)

cherylks

Re: amitriptyline and weight gain
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

I take amitriptyline 20-30mg for nerve pain.  Have been on it for a couple of years now.  Although I did have weight gain over that same period I don't put it down to that.  More to do with lack of exercise, mid life spread and eating far too much chocolate, cakes, bread and the rest.  In the last year I have managed to lose a stone and keep it off.  I guess exercise does help - anything exercise wise will help.  I still eat choc & the odd cake but just try to be careful overall - ie not too much bread, potatoes, fat & sugar etc.  Hope you get sorted soon.   

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »

Cherylks,

I wish it was down to food but as I have IBS !!!!  I do watch what I eat, I dont eat bread, chocolate, sweets, it maybe down to lack of energy since my op , I am hoping the consultant will give me a go Testosterone, he did say he might then maybe I can start having some get up and go............

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »

I am on it for nerve pain, just watch what I eat and a good long walk everyday. There is Noratroptyline which may suit you better it does some.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »

I think the explanation given for weight gain with any drugs is that you feel better so you eat more.

I'm not convinced, I take Gabapentin for neuropathic pain. I vary the doses I take, my level of podginess varies with variations on dose, not the amount I eat.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »

Ladies, I am going to reduce the dose from 20mg to 10mg, and hope the reduction will help abit, I honestly dont eat rubbish food but dont have energy, I am off work at moment (dinner lady) so I sleep in till 10am but still feel tired, just cant motivate, they help with the headaches but the physio said with correct posture it will help, possibly if I reduce the dose I may not feel so tired and that may help..

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »

Moonbeam, see how it goes.

For me, amitriptyline didn't help much with headaches, I just got really tired, groggy and brain dead.

Try the reduced dose it may be enough to make you stop feeling tired.

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

These pills are so different for everyone the ami does not knock me out, if anything the opposite.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »

Limpy , I must admit I do feel a bit brain dead, so thats what I am going to do, hopefully I feel less tired and have a bit more var var voom  :)

oldsheep

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »

I think some ADs slow metabolism. Some are notorious for weight gain. I've not heard about amitryptaline doing this, but sounds like in your case it might well be.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »

Increased appetite and weight gain is a common side effect of this drug. I put on around 10lbs in three months when on just 10mg but the benefits far outweighed the spare tyre! However, it can also cause fluid retention so it's important to distinguish between the two.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »

It would be good if the scales could identify fluid retention.
Mine just go up........ 

Hattie

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »

I am on Nortriptyline for nerve pain - it does have less side effects than amitriptyline if you wanted to try it - i was on ami for quite a while beforehand.

I have found that the Nortriptyline makes you less groggy in the mornings but even going up on doses of this you get fluid retention. Never feel like i want to pee first thing in the morning like i used to anymore. I am very tempted to not take it at all - and have tried not to - but too much nerve pain otherwise.

Are there no other options for your headache.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »

I only took 10mg last night and for most of the day I have had a awful headache, I am having physio but isnt helping, just dont know what else to try, I know the pain is awful but I cant cope with the increase in weight, can anyone  or advise please  :)

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »

As Hattie says, Nortriptyline may be worth considering.
I tried it for headaches and it helped.
Stopped using it because it seemed to exacerbate MS balance problems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5