Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Feel like a fraud!  (Read 17964 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feel like a fraud!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »

Phew  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:26 AM »

I had a reoccurance of the pain last night. It was as intense and overwhelming as before. I didn't panic, but tried to make myself heard. My husband eventually heard me and came up, with my daughter. ( We are on holiday.) The pain eventually eased as before. The pain was slightly lower than before, below my right breast, rather than behind. We didn't call for help, we knew it was highly unlikely to be heart related. My daughter suggested gall stones. Had I not had this pain before, I would be blaming the meal I had had earlier. Fish and chips, which I haven't had for years as I was wheat intolerant, but can now cope with small amounts of wheat every so often. But I was and am feeling uncomfortable, wishing if had kept to my normal diet. Last time, I hadn't eaten for several hours before and had been eating 'me' friendly foods.

My husband is ringing the surgery today for an appointment when we get back. I don't think I will be doing much today. Now is feel I putting a damper on the holiday. We are staying in a lovely self catering house in the snowdonia area with our daughter, her partner and our grandson for a week.

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

You will feel better if you rest today.  If the weather is nice, you can sit and watch the scenery  ;) there's plenty to do in that area for the family.  Harlech is nice for a wander.  Make sure you keep hydrated and keep off fatty foods ....... in case it is the gall bladder!

Ju Ju

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »

Well done Dr CLKD! Had the pain again this afternoon, while we were driving home. Hubbie had to stop on the side of the dual carriage. Decided to go to Bangor A&E. Saw a very nice doctor, after a long wait, who said he thought it was gall stones. I'm to see my own doctor on Monday to arrange a scan and came back here with strong pain killers. Not the best way to spend my holiday, but we have already decided to come back soon. It is a wonderful place and I can't fault the house we are staying in. 

honeybun

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »

Please research getting your gall bladder out. My sister did and wishes she hadn't. Hubby decided against and now takes Milk Thistle and watches his diet.

It has its plus points and also a shed full of negatives that your surgeon won't tell you about unless specifically asked.

Don't want to go into it any further unless you want me to.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:58 PM »

Oh what a shame to have to cut short your holiday  :-\ would you return to the cottage?

Ju Ju

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 08:33:29 PM »

We're going home on Friday, but not doing everything planned. We look after our grandson on Thursday for the day as daughter and partner are going to a wedding. I won't be left fully in charge, just in case.

HB, you might as well let me know as it is best I have information before making any decisions. Hopefully, if it is gall stones, I can alter my diet. I don't generally eat greasy heavy foods, but yesterday, I did. I was in the difficult situation, where it was eat what was on offer or not at all. Maybe fish and chips was a huge shock to my system. I didn't feel too good anyway after the meal, even though I left a lot. Interestingly, I have heard that it is quite common to develop gall stones after losing weight, which I have.

honeybun

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »

This is a bit long winded but you will get the idea.
It's very very common after having your gall bladder removed. My sister had the op and suffers from this and its very difficult to manage as what she can eat one week she can't the next. My hubby has lots of little stones. He asked his consultant about dumping syndrome and was told it would probably happen. He left that question to the end of the consultation to see if it would be mentioned....it wasn't.
Hubby ended up in hospital just like you thinking it was another heart attack. He now watches his diet and takes a daily high strength Milk Thistle tablet. There is really only one worth taking. Jarrows is really the best. I get hubbies from Canada.

Here is the info....better you know.

Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the small intestine expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (having increased osmolarity) contents from the stomach. This causes symptoms due to the fluid shift into the gut lumen with plasma volume contraction and acute intestinal distention.[1] "Early" dumping begins concurrently within 15 to 30 minutes from ingestion of a meal.[1] Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens one to three hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. The syndrome is most often associated with gastric bypass (Roux-en-Y) surgery.

Rapid loading of the small intestine with hypertonic stomach contents can lead to rapid entry of water into the intestinal lumen. Osmotic diarrhea, distension of the small bowel (leading to crampy abdominal pain), and hypovolemia can result.

In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid "dumping" of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream. This type of hypoglycemia is referred to as "alimentary hypoglycemia."

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

Thanks HB. I shall read up some more. I already have IBS, which has not been so severe overall since starting HRT, if I take Fybogel. I think I have had my fill of digestive problems. If it is gall stones, then I really hope going down the diet route will help. I will do the research and talk to people I know who have had similar problems, including my father who had his gall bladder removed at the age of 84 but felt better than he had done for many years. Then again, my daughters friend has had a lot of problems.

honeybun

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »

It's certainly worth at least asking. Of course it does not happen to all. More common if you have it removed when you are a bit older. My sis was 63 when she had hers done.
Look into the Milk Thistle. It's pretty good stuff and you could start that before you have tests.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 05:59:40 AM »

Thanks I will. That's good advice. I have some research to do. I haven't slept well and can't blame my husbands snoring! Bit worried really. As the doctor said, it's not immediately dangerous, but needs to be sorted ASAP. I'm worried about the consequences of being so suddenly incapacitated by pain. It is so overwhelming. What if it starts when I am driving and can't stop? Perhaps my car is trying to tell me something. It is poorly too. I'm supposed to be singing in a concert on Saturday as well.

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »

Add stress about the concert and you've got the full whack  ::)
I expect it was triggered by the grease in the fish and chips.  I really have to fancy certain foodstuffs in order to be able to digest properly - i.e. egg meals, pizza, f/chips .........

How are you this morning?  Weather nice?

Ju Ju

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »

Had a lazy morning at the house. Beautiful weather today, mountains in the distance.

Abdomen feels sore, but ok. Yes, I agree the fish and chips are probably the cause. I normally eat carefully these days, so maybe I would have problems before if I hadn't. Having done a bit of research, I wonder if all the digestive problems and insulin resistance I have are all linked. I used to eat less healthy foods, until I was forced to eat a healthy diet due to food intolerances. Obviously I shall need a scan, but I hope dietary changes will avert further problems. We'll see.

My daughter and her partner have come to this area several times and have planned a gentle walk this afternoon. They enjoy the rough terrain and climbing. I had hoped to visit some castles, but will save that to next time.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

Certainly the castles won't go away  ;) Edward built them to last ............  :whist:  glad that you can see the Mountains.  Sometimes  ::) one has to remember that they are there ...........

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »

Have you driven into Towyn for honey ice-cream yet?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6