Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apparently I can't take progesterone...  (Read 6472 times)

Amy Dover

Apparently I can't take progesterone...
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »

I went to a new doc to see if We could get to the major anxiety/panic I have been having. I have been on a number of ad's that I haven't tolerated....it's been a circus. Bottom line is the new doc said I basically I have no hormones....very low levels I guess. He put me on 200 mg of progesterone to start plus a thyroid med. My anxiety has shot through the roof. He told me not to take the thyroid med...that was probably to blame. Well things have only gotten worse as far as the anxiety goes since I started on this regimen 2 weeks ago.                                                         I have been post menopausal for 6 years. I am 52 years old. Maybe reintroducing the hormones not a great idea? He said once those were balanced I wouldn't need anti anxiety meds or ad's. Can I just stop them cold turkey? I called his office at 8:00 this a.m. And told them how bad things were. They sent me an email stating I would hear back later this a.m. Never heard a word.
My mind is about shot. Racing thoughts, my chest feels tight, and nervousness/anxiety all day,every day. It wasn't this bad on ad's I know somebody on here has had a similar problem? Please, please tell give me a suggestion or 10!!!

Amy

peegeetip

Re: Apparently I can't take progesterone...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »

Sorry to hear your having these problems.  :(

The doctor can't guess that the thyroid medicine is to blame - that sort of method is beyond me - sounds like doc is guessing away here (common issue from my own experience too).

Just wondering why are you just on progesterone?  ???

From what you've said assuming that your on the UTROGESTAN 200mg. Like others I've not used this personally, but from the great info on this site the 200mg is down there for peri and the 100mg is down for the post menopause. Or perhaps I'm just misreading  ::)

Either way if your hormones are so low then surely the doctor would be best to provide some estrogen to get your hormones back to more normal balanced levels.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:55:14 AM by peegeetip »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »

Has your doc suggested a different thyroid medication? If your thyroid function is low then this has to be addressed. The symptoms you describe can be down to progesterone as I also get anxiety and panic when using the progesterone part of HRT but they can also be down to an overactive thyroid which causes the heart to beat faster and for you to feel "wired" so maybe the thyroid dose was too high.

I agree with peegeetip in that if you have "no hormones" you must surely also need oestrogen to balance things?

I hope you get this sorted soon.

Taz x

Amy Dover

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »

;)Thanks so much ladies for your info and input. I was on Armour thyroid...for about a week. Started it at the same time as the progesterone. Was taken off the Armour and told to continue with the progesterone. I was or am...not sure which, supposed to go see him next week. That may be when he was planning on adding the other hormones. I don't like the way this is going with his doc tho. He changed my diet, Paleo minus dairy, gave me enzymes for my stomach, and a concoction of some sort for my drainage, plus the meds, and I have felt worse in the last 2 weeks than ever. I have another name of someone who specializes In hormones and I think another opinion is warranted. I have a copy of the tests results that I can give her to view. She also takes insurance. Doc doesn't. And I've lost confidence in him and his staff because that can't seem to communicate back with me. As I told them
in an email last night, it might be better if they stopped taking new patients for a bit since they can't call or email people back when they have an issue. >:(

I have a lot more reading to do on this sight! There is a wealth of info on here! I have been told by others that reintroducing hormones after this length of time would not be best. That is where the ad's can help. I didn't take the progesterone last night, not sure I will take it again...at least not
without more info.

Keep the comments coming!! It helps!!! ;)

A

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »

200mg is heavy and I cannot even sleep on 100mg makes me so hyper. Why are you taking Progesterone of this dosage surely you should rather use some Oestrogen to help with the anxiety, like the gel and cut the progesterone down to 100mg see if this doesnt help, I doubt its the thyroid meds sounds more like too much progesterone. All the best.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »

You seem to swing from 1 suggestion to another - I think that's because in the US you have the option to pay for appointments whereas in the UK we usually go to a Consultant via our Family Doctor.  We also have Practice Nurses who are qualified to prescribe so are a Mine of Information  ::) .......

If you are low on hormones how are you still standing?  A gynaecologist would be my route, to discuss whether in fact blood tests are of any use: my gynae won't do them, he treats by symptoms only : and it is known that progesterone can have various awful effects for ladies who are taking HRT.

Have you read the menus, left of screen: I know you had another thread running and I can't remember if you did or not  ::)

renee

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »

Before going through the meno I was given a blood test to check my thyroid and hormone levels. Have you had bloods taken to determine if you have an under /over active thyroid?

I have an under active thyroid and was started on a low dose of thyroxine while getting bloods taken every month which they then upped my dose gradually, Im now on 100mcg of Levothroxine.

I was then put on HRT which has oestrogen and Progesterone, again a low dose then upped if needed.

I too suffered from anxiety and also have anaemia from time to time so again bloods taken every 6 months for that....which can also cause anxiety.

I have a little stash of diazepam 2mg for when I need it for anxiety, but I use it very sensibly.

Unfortunately, it takes time for things to come right but getting your blood checked for thyroid, hormone levels and anaemia is the starting point I would think.

Feel for you though with the anxiety....it really can be awful. Xxxxx

Amy Dover

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »

Morning ladies! I have had blood tests that determined both my hormone and thyroid levels. The thyroid level was low...been tested by 2 docs. The hormone levels were tested by my gyn as well as this new doc and both showed very low levels.

My gyn had given me hormones at the end of the year but I was then found to have dcis..so she will not prescribe them for me. This doc feels like it is quality of life issue....my choice....with monitoring.

I do seem to be all over the place and not know what to do or think don't I. That's because my gyn sent me to a psych for ad's and they have been difficult for me to tolerate.

I have read a lot of info on here. Am trying to learn as much as I can. I see what is working for some and all the suggestions. I appreciate the feedback. I have never posted on a forum before....so if I shouldn't have started another thread I apologize. Been feeling alone and a little desperate and just wanted to be around women that understood.

Thanks again
A

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »

You can start as many threads as you want. There is always someone here to chat to even if it's just for a little support.

No need to feel alone with your problems as we are here to listen.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »

The only thing is not to forget we are in a different time zone so some responses might take all day  ::).

It's a Mine Field out there  >:(

Having read around and 'chattered' to us on here, what do you feel you should do for your body right now?

renee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »

Hi Amy,

That's good you have had the bloods and established that you have an under active thyroid and hormone levels.

Now it's knowing what to do about it, it seems easier here in Britain as thyroxine seems to be the drug the docs use quiet consistently for thyroid probs and for me it has worked really well.

Now the hormone issue....and that's quiet a subject!! Before I went in HRT I had tried a lot of alternative remedies but as your hormones are changing all the time the remedies never helped for very long. I'm now on the HRT circuit!!

You must be feeling awful, actually really awful as both together are a nightmare!!!!

I really hope you find a solution soon where you live but meds take a while to settle into your system and can make you feel worse to start with so try persevere with whatever your Doc prescribes.

So what are you taking at the moment? Xx

Amy Dover

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »

Thanks again for the replies! Renee, right now I am only taking Xanax .25mg every 4 to 5 hrs. Just to keep the anxiety at a low pitch. The doc said stop everything and try to calm myself down until he decides which to start first and at a much lower dose. He did call me and he said there are "a small percentage" of women that can't take progesterone and I " might " be one of them.

I sent atheist lab work to my psychiatrist then spoke with him on the phone as well. He feels like we need to find the right ad to help me through this. He agreed while we would be treating the symptoms it would still be beneficial to get me through, he said you don't have to suffer like this. We just need to find the right med and sometimes that takes time.

I have just about made up my mind that finding the right ad is going to help the most. I talked with a very good friend last night that has gone through a lot of depression issues, she's my age,a early meno as well. We discussed reintroducing hormones that have been dead or dying for 6 years and how hard it would be to get those regulated. She was so upset when she heard about the newest doc I went to.....she says it seems he is all about the money and selling his supplements. Especially since he doesn't take insurance and my first visit was over $1200. Including supplements and meds. The follow up will be over $300 . I can't afford that anyway. As he adjusts(or guesses) what I need ...he would want to see me every few weeks.

A

kiltgirl

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »

Hi Amy

I don't have anything else apart from a hug for you, really hope you get to the bottom of it and find something to help you feel like your old self again.

xx

Amy Dover

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »

Thanks kiltgirl, hugs are the best....prayers too, :)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »

"atheist lab"  :-\

Why would it be hard to get the hormone levels regulated?  If your body requires hormones then HRT although can be Trial and Error offers protection against other conditions.
Pages: [1] 2