Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem ok to take with phyto-oestrogen?  (Read 1982 times)

wornoutmum

Vagifem ok to take with phyto-oestrogen?
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:05:10 PM »

I've been prescribed vagifem pessaries to help with vaginal dryness but I've been taking phyto oestrogens for past 6 weeks to combat hot flushes which seems to help but does anyone know whether its wise to combine the two?

Interestingly, 2 weeks after starting the phyto oestrogens I had vulva and vaginal soreness with increased discharge. This was a problem with HRT and why I stopped taking it. I wonder if I have some sensitivity to synthetic oestrogens? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem ok to take with phyto-oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »

What does your prescribing practitioner suggest?  Or have a word with a Pharmacist in your town 'chemist' shop?

Dancinggirl

Re: Vagifem ok to take with phyto-oestrogen?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:03:19 PM »

Hi wornoutmum and welcome to MM
I doubt very much that the phyto oestrogens you are taking will effect you using Vagifem. As CLKD suggests I would ask your GP or the pharmacist for reassurance.
I have tried so many different remedies for hot flushes and I have a diet high in phyto -oestrogens(i have tried taking REd Clover as well) - nothing has made a difference.
As one lady on this site commented if phyto-estrogens and other herbs, remedies and supplements worked then they would be prescribed on the NHS".
There is some anecdotal evidence that some women find through the peri meno stage that phyto oestrogens seem to help but this is difficult to prove as your hormones will fluctuate through the peri stage so symptoms will vary.
As for vaginal soreness, I'm afraid this may have little to do with HRT or the phyto oestrogens but a lot to do with Vaginal Atrophy.  The natural flora of the vaginal area becomes less acidic through peri and post meno and so there is a greater chance of thrush and other bacterial infections and these will cause burning, itching and discomfort.  The local oestrogen(Vagifem) should help with this. Sadly systemic HRT doesn't always help with VA and local oestrogen is required as well.
Vagifem can cause some burning as well to start with - it sometimes works within a few weeks but it can take up to 6-9 months of using local oestrogen to return the vaginal area to it's healthy state.
Try using Hylaofemme or Multi Gyn Actigel to lubricate things and maintain the acidic balance - they can make you feel more comfortable  - you often have to get these online.
Keep posting.  DG x