Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: stopping HRT abruptly  (Read 19760 times)

Taz2

Re: stopping HRT abruptly
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »

Thank you. I had forgotten that the stroke risk was less. I did find this while searching the other week http://www.npc.nhs.uk/therapeutics/other/hormone/resources/pda_hrt_oestrogen.pdf  which is interesting.

I have had the clotting factor blood tests courtesy of my great GP and even those these came back as ok she still doesn't like the idea of women over 60 using HRT. The menopause clinic are also of the same mind as is my consultant gynae - surprisingly - as he was all for it when I was 55!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

I was just surprised that it was the menopause clinic who first said I should stop HRT at 60. The GP then seemed to take the same route - although before then was happy to keep prescribing - and I felt sure the gynae consultant would be in favour of it but he wasn't.

Taz x  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

I started HRT just before my 60th birthday, low dose. I went to see a private gynaecologist with the support of my GP. My sister died of breast cancer, but as she is the only close member to have had breast cancer this was not considered to be genetic or a bar to my taking HRT. My BP and cholesterol levels are fine.

By the way I have been told I can continue for as long as I want, forever, if there is no health reason to stop.

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »

I did aim my post more for Taz as I know she has a GP who is not keen on prescribing HRT after sixty.

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »

I just hope I can SL - it will have to be from the GP as the menopause clinic are really against it so I will pick my GP carefully!!  ;D  I really don't want to go down the private route if I can help it.

When there are three professionals who are all saying "no" it does shake you confidence a bit. Over the last month the flushes are much better - only a couple an hour - but that's because I am not rushing around I think. Once back at work I'm sure I'll be back to square one.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »

The thing is they do eventually ease even though you might think they won't, but its the waiting out that's the problem. Its the other things that estrogen helps that the body needs, you can use supplements, diet and exercise to compensate and they do work contrary to what some think. Menopause Matters magazine recommends this even. Its never too late to start supporting your body.

There are just as many women who don't take HRT as do, and I see a lot of very healthy jolly looking much older women and I often think to myself I bet they are not on HRT( they usually don't look the type to even know what hormones are) You have said many times yourself that only women who seek help eg on our forum are the ones who have problems with menopause.

I do hope your GP relents and lets you have estrogen patches as I know you have to work, and I hope you don't have to go down the private route as it can get very expensive.

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »

You are right about some women not needing HRT SL - my very best friend - soul mate even - and I have gone through the ups and downs of life together although sometimes countries apart and have been the same through most of it. However, she has had no meno symptoms whatsoever. Her periods just stopped at 55 and that was that. She's never had a hot flush, panic attack, sleeplessness etc. and although she is really supportive of me when I have a grumble and a moan she can't understand it. She keeps waiting for it to hit her but she's almost 61 now so maybe she has escaped! The only thing we were different in was pmt - she never suffered that either whereas I did.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »

Back from Scotland now and catching up on threads - reading this one with interest as always.

Nothing much to add right now except to say creativesarahv - don't stop oestrogen if you don't want to especially as you have had a hysterectomy! Also that I'm 61 and still on combined HRT (as I have a womb), on a long cycle (7-8 weeks meaning I still bleed), with the support of a gynae I had to see last year for investigations, as well as GPs in my local practice (all NHS).  Unfortunately there is no standardisation across the board until the NICE guidelines are updated ( next year I think) but the general consensus is that there is no reason to stop and that women should be able to make their own decision, while accepting the risks as published, but recognising their great limitations (ie the studies from which the risks are quoted). Sorry that's a bit rambling!

Hurdity x

creativesarahv

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »

today  i am having a phone consultation with the new GP
I am considering changing surgeries as  I am not happy with the way our surgery is run since it was bought out by a bigger surgery
I feel as bad as I did after a mini stroke lots of people came up to me over the weekend and asked how I was as I looked so ghastly and seemed so distant

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »

That does explain why your Doctor is being cautious creativesarahv, not sure what the protocol for HRT is after a mini stroke.

As has been said patches are far less of a risk for stroke, but don't know about if you have already had one, is it possible that the stroke clinic could advise.

Its always best to come off slowly from patches so not surprising you are feeling the effects.

peegeetip

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »

Hi Silverlady

sorry but Sarah's doc has just cut her off, not even offered tapering.
I agree with you Silverlady - best to come off slowly - but doc isnt even doing this (even if Sarah wanted to come off).

Doc is simply following a flow chart - oops sorry hitting 60 - time to stop HRT thats doing you good  :-\
There is no limit to how long you can use HRT as I mentioned earlier.

Being on HRT for 20 years and being happy with it says it all.
People are already seeing a difference in her which must be a sad and scary time for Sarah.

If someone has a mini stroke then that in itself is no reason to stop, wait and resume HRT as often docs do for operations also.
We should keep in mind that mini strokes can be caused by a multitude of things - often due to pretty innocent activities.

But there's no reason that HRT should be withheld as long as illnesses are treated, monitored and controlled.
This includes strokes, high blood pressure and heart attack.

If Sarah has been monitored or discharged by the stroke clinic, then surely its not a good idea to add another arbitrary opinion to an already difficult situation. This might give more confusion and difficulty from someone not specialized in HRT.

It is Sarah's choice to use HRT and feel better for it 8)

Best of luck with your new doc Sarah.

:-*

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:38:44 AM by peegeetip »

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »

peegeetip I really can't see what was wrong with my post and I am sure Sarah can answer for herself.

I was unaware that she had had a mini stroke from her previous posts or even when.

I am sure that this may make many Doctors more cautions, and you can't blame them for this, from what I can gather HRT is not recommended after a TIA.

I hope she is able to find a doctor top prescribe HRT if this is what she wants, I don't believe I said anything to the contrary in my post.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:03:56 PM by silverlady »

peegeetip

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »

Hi Silverlady

I didnt say there was anything was wrong with your post.  :o
I agreed with you also and pointed out her HRT was cut off. 
There seemed to be a lack of caution in the docs course of action from my point of view.

There seemed to be no consideration to the consequence of taking away HRT or to the patients wishes from the posts so far.
Its sad that Sarah is now having to look for a new Doctor but its good she's taking control of her situation.
This seems to be a repeating theme in a lot of the posts sadly.

As for the flowchart comment I've seen the flowchart my own doc uses ;D

I have a slightly different view point to you in regard to the rest in terms of a TIA.
As you say yourself "recommended" - but certainly not a "cannot" or "never".
It's the patients choice (or should be) as in any medicine or operation we need.

A lot seem scared off using HRT on the basis of weak, contradictory, out of date and often wrong information from docs.
I only summarized that if anyone is in a similar position to this post then there are always options.
Especially when things are being treated, monitored and controlled.

Like you I really hope that Sarah and others like her can get better treatment than this.
And hopefully those of us not at the same point can look forward to better treatment; that does not needlessly put us through this mill.

I hope we can agree to disagree on a few things ;) thanks.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:31:45 PM by peegeetip »

Rowan

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »

I think you are over reacting a bit a bit, nobody is disagreeing with you at all.

We all have tried to give Sarah support and I am sure she appreciates it.

I have not directed my posts toward you at all only Sarah and Taz and and was hoping to help.

We all have tried to help nothing more, and when you don't know all the facts it can be difficult, perhaps Sarah will be along soon to make things clearer.

ON the TIA subject I have a friend who has had two, she was taken off HRT. I an only go by that experience.

This obviously secondary to Sarahs first post where we have all agreed that she should not have been taken abruptly of HRT, once again I have not disagreed with you at all, also I don't know where I made " "flow chart comment" what ever that is!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:04:21 PM by silverlady »

peegeetip

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 12:27:01 PM »

;D - the comment on flowchart - that's just part of my discussion on the forum.
The comment was just to highlights how we are often treated by very simple logic tools like flowcharts.
Hence we have the problems like being stopped at 60 or when ill when they don't need to.

Not saying flowcharts are all bad.
We have a very good flowchart on this site. It certainly helped me understand the options.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/tree.php.

Unfortunately most docs have something far more simple to follow.
I wanted to go down the long cycle route with my own gp. However that wasn't on their flow chart  :o
Since then I realise the long cycle options were limited too.

On the TIA - again sorry your friend was treated in that way.

As mentioned on the last post - I hope we can agree to disagree on a few things in future ;) thanks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:55:38 PM by peegeetip »
Pages: 1 [2]