Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 4 weeks dairy free  (Read 12243 times)

babypink2807

4 weeks dairy free
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

Not posted for a while and thought I would share with you if you don't mind what I have been doing

The doctors at the hospital are now stating they believe my condition to be more likely Colitis.  I had an MRI scan a few weeks ago and a inflammation is showing in my large colon on the left now, I've had tummy problems and now on Mesalazine to ease things down a bit.  What I have done is visit a nutritionist and discussed what I need to do to enhance my nutrient intake, without having to eat more but also she'd a few pounds.  The result being to try fair, gluten and wheat free.  My goodness it's been difficult, but when you are desperate you try anything.  My surgeon recommended Aloe Vera Gel, orally and also Curcumin too in a powder form

So.......I have been dairy free, after a lot of research and also wheat and gluten which I found very difficult and constantly hungry. I have discovered camomile tea which I didn't think I would like but I do!  I use almond milk, eat plenty of protein, veggies and fruit. I have in the last two weeks noticed my energy levels improve and feeling better than ever

The aloe Vera gel I only started today, so fingers crossed that will help.  I had to give a stol sample to see what's happening in my gut and there is a lot of bad bacteria and yeast in there, so tomorrow we will be discussing how to tackle that

So for a few weeks I have felt something like myself at long last

In preparation for a big decision I need to make about a future operation I need, difficult choice and very apprehensive. But I have to be fit, well and in the right state if mind to deal with it hence this hard work

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 4 weeks dairy free
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

:thankyou:  for the up-date.  Sometimes our bodies benefit from cutting out regime. 

Aloe Vera is known to be healing as is honey.  I have used aloe vera on my chickens bare bottom this week and it's made a different girl of her, most of the red sore area is healing and she's walking more easily.  Wish I had thought to use it sooner  :-\

Yeast feeds on sugars.  LIVE yoghurt can help shed bad bacteria.  Will be interested in hearing what your Consultant/Nutrienist suggest!

Linsey44

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

Hi Babypink
Like CLKD says aloe vera is very good and anti inflammatory as is curcumin (i take that as a health supplement)

Fingers crossed you can reduce symptoms via diet and keep medication to a minimum.   I just bought a juicer a few days ago to make sure I get all the vits and minerals without overeating. Start a 3 day juice detox tomorrow.  Would juicing be helpful for your condition?

I also take a supplement called mega probiotic and get it from victoria health, would that be any use to you it should top up your good bacteria levels.

Let us know how you get on.
Take care

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

Aloe vera by mouth tasted foul years ago, hopefully it's improved in flavour  ;)

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

CLKD if your chicken is walking better with aloe Vera, perhaps it would help us ladies with issues, in the nether regions. :)

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »

Hello Babypink.

I have Ulcerative Colitis and my recent experience may be of interest to you.

I had a flare up in May and was prescribed mesalazine in the form of Mezavant XL 1200 tablets which worked very well and got me into remission with no side effects.

There is a lot of interest in how gut bacteria influence disease and although my toilet trips were okay I recently began taking a probiotic called Acidophilus and noticed an even greater improvement so you may want to give that a try. There is another probiotic on the market that was formulated to help UC sufferers and showed a good response in clinical trials, it used to be prescription only but  can now be bought over the counter and I have some on order. It's called VSL#3 and is very potent but I will give it a try and will report the results.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I'll be seeing my consultant in August and I plan to ask for a Calprotectin test which is a way of measuring inflammation by looking at a stool sample, again this may be something you could ask about.

Since diagnosis in 2010 I also changed my diet becoming diary free and began taking fish oil capsules and olive oil, all of which I believe has helped.

Let us know how you get on with everything and I'll update the forum when I have any news.

Wishing you well, take care and keep posting.

K.

babypink2807

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »

Hi Babypink
Like CLKD says aloe vera is very good and anti inflammatory as is curcumin (i take that as a health supplement)

Fingers crossed you can reduce symptoms via diet and keep medication to a minimum.   I just bought a juicer a few days ago to make sure I get all the vits and minerals without overeating. Start a 3 day juice detox tomorrow.  Would juicing be helpful for your condition?

I also take a supplement called mega probiotic and get it from victoria health, would that be any use to you it should top up your good bacteria levels.

Let us know how you get on.
Take care

Because of my warfarin she needs to look at alternative for the probiotic so waiting to year on that.  The juicing she is putting some recopies together for me on that as well

babypink2807

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »

Hi Kathleen

My nutritionist at the start required me to give three days of stool samples to send off to the lad so she could put together recommendations of diet and update it dependent on the results

My mouth is high in yeast, I have e-coli higher levels in my gut, and a few other things too so she did that, the hospital did not.  Wasn't cheap either!  The benefits from this are great though

The pro biotic she is still working on due to the warfarin. 

I am struggling to find powder curcumin though, no luck so far

I have about four things to buy as supplements next week and we are then leaving it 6-8 weeks to see how I get on

babypink2807

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »

CLKD if your chicken is walking better with aloe Vera, perhaps it would help us ladies with issues, in the nether regions. :)

Apparently Aloe Vera has many healing properties and is now being recommended (as was by my surgeon) by hospitals for many ailments

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:57 AM »

Amazon have curcumin powder and capsules (they have almost anything)

babypink2807

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »

I did look there I was a little sceptical as was not sure that's exactly what is I. The packet

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »

Lots of Indian spices are used to aid digestion; as mouth cleansers between courses although all food is usually put out at the same time. 

The healing effects of honey and aloe vera have been known for years.  Which is why housewifies had aloe vera plants on kitchen windowsills, to snap off a leaf and put onto burns.

Apparently it's good for arthritis sufferers …….. taken by mouth .

I did stool samples this year, offered from age 60.  3 days, 1 sample per day, messy but result - negative!  :-*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:02:16 PM by CLKD »

babypink2807

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »

It wasn't pleasant but now know what supplements I need and other foods to avoid too

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

How does a stool sample give such intense advice?  Fascinating!  Let us know how you get on.  I 'went off' Actimel drinks but probably need to start again as my bowel is slow = pressure on the bladder  :-\

babypink2807

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »

It was sent off to a lab in Germany and got a list back the full A4 size, they tested for all sorts
Pages: [1] 2 3