Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colpermin or Colofac  (Read 15810 times)

moonbeam121167

Colpermin or Colofac
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

Evening all

I have IBS not taking nothing at the minute but finding I am having terrible nausea again plus aching pains in my left side and a bloaty stomach, I am currently on Imipramine 25mg for neck pain and on Estradot 100mg, I am going to GP on Tuesday but was told to try Colpermin, when I was told I have IBS I was given Esomperazole and Colofac but a. I never took the Colofac and B. stopped the Esomperazole as I found i was not better on it but lately the nausea and pain is getting worse, tried different herbal stuff but never helped, probiotics help a bit but my poor stomach needs some more help, anyone have any advice please

honeybun

Re: Colpermin or Colofac
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »

The pain that I have on my lower left hand side has been diagnosed as as diverticulitis. These are pouches in your bowel that collect food matter and can get infected. Lovely stuff.....Not. I control mine through diet. It's really a case of trial. and error.  You would have to have this diagnosed though, but it's classic pain.

I have had a bit of a flare and ended up on Colpermin and Mebaravine. The combination was quite good. I had awful wind pains and they eased it a lot. I have figured out what was wrong with me and it was self inflicted. Now I know what I have been doing wrong and have stopped it I can come off the pills.
Not sure what you can try for the nausea though but maybe the Colpermin might help. It's good for trapped wind as they are peppermint based. One of the side effects though is heartburn.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

honeybun,  I have tried peppermint caps but they repeated on me big time but is the Colpermin better, does this diverticulitis cause back pain, I start my day with crunchy nut with red top milk, about 10.30am I have a cup of chamomile with a banana, 2 pots of activia yoghurts for lunch but thats around 12pm as I work as a dinner lady, then when I get home I have a pkt crisps with some coleslaw and then around 5.30pm I have tea , then at about 9pm I have a cup of chamomile and some blueberries,  i normally drink 2 cups of decaf tea a day, in between that I have one or two pots of actimel drinks , is there anything in my diet I should add or take away which could help

thanks for your help

Caroline xx

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »

The Colpermin has to be taken up to an hour before food. I don't think it will do much unless you suffer from bloating. I did fine on them, they really got rid of my bloating....ie, they make you fart...Sorry if TMI.
The meberivene helps with pain. It stops cramping and discomfort.

Your diet sounds ok.
When I have a flare I go on a white diet. Fish,potatoes,rice,chicken....until it settles and then add in other stuff. You could try a food diary and see if you have trigger foods.
Diverticulitis is pain in the lower left abdomen. It's tender when you press gently on it when you are lying down.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »

I dont suffer major bloating, so maybe Colofac would be better. The pain starts around my back and then comes around the left hand side , when i press my side it is uncomfortable, its like someone is sticking a knife under my left hand ribs, and I feel sick and hot and yuck !! when I normally go to the toilet (poo) it can be 3 ,4 or 5 times a day but this last day or 2 its maybe twice and can be a strain, I feel I have got one thing sorted EG my HRT and then bang something else happens, it depresses me big time, I am 47 yrs old but feel 100, its not fair  :'(

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »

Have you a sympathetic GP that you can talk to. Sometimes I get in a bit of a mess with my IBS and think I can treat it myself when really I need some help and a change of meds.
My GP always suggests another way to deal with things.

I have also seen an alternative medicine practitioner and I use that kind of thing to maintain things when I am ok.
I really think you should talk to someone about this. The danger is we start self diagnosing and treating things with over the counter stuff when what we need is a proper diagnosis and one treatment.

Diverticulitis only gives abdominal pain and not back pain.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »

I have finally got a fab GP which I am seeing Tuesday,  he actually listens and talks in depth which is great, yes for me GOOGLE is the worse, I shall takes some paracetamols before I go to bed and try and cope till Tuesday, which isnt to long, I do thank you for listening to me moan  :) :) :) :)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

No bother, I know just how miserable stomach problems can be and how much they can dominate your life.

Tuesday is not long to wait. I hope you can get something to help.

Let us know how you get on.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »

Indeed I will

Caroline
XX

moonbeam121167

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »

Honeybun

just come back from seeing the doctor, he has changed me back to Amitriptyline 10mg to be used for 2 weeks then increase to 20mg, he said hopefully they will help your headaches and neck pain but they could also help with your IBS, also he has given me Colofac and I have to take them 3 times a day 20 mins before food but also gave me metoclopramide for nausea, I was on Domperidone but he said they have been stopped cause there is a fear of heart attacks with them,  not sure how to take the new ones, with the other ones it used to be 20mins before food but it doesnt say that on the new ones, can you help, I will take the Amitrptyline at 9pm every night, upon waking I will take a Colofac and then 20mins before lunch and then the same before tea, but were will I take the metoclopramide, sorry to be a pest, thanks

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »

Metoclopramide pushes food through your stomach quicker. I don't have a specific time that I take mine but I guess just after you eat would be fine.

I get on fine with them but only take occasionally, they work really well if you feel sick.

Let me know how you get on.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »

Honeybun

thanks for your help :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »

Late to this thread.  When I was diagnosed with IBS in 199something the GP gave me Colpermin peppermint capsules and Motillium.  Colpermin helps ease upper gut wind and other medications help fast forward the gut spasms to encourage food to pass through.

I had Domperidome - in fact I have a drawer full  ::) ……. which helped enormously.  I had to take 3 small tablets at a time: the idea was to take both medications within the hour before eating my main meals including breakfast - which meant setting the alarm first thing  ::) and after 3 weeks I was able to drop the early morning call.  Those medications saved my Life.

How are you now?  My biggest problem were his parents  >:( who would tell us that lunch would be served at 12.30 p.m. but then not begin cooking it until 1.30 …….. so I had to take my own food for several years because I had to take the medication within that hour. 

moonbeam121167

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

CLKD,

I got on ok with Domperidone but the GP said they dont give it out no more cause of the risks of heart attacks so he gave me  metoclopramide instead,  but on the instruction it says just take 3 times a day , nothing about before eating, so do you have any ideas, I will take the Colofac upon waking cause I dont eat for about a hour, then the 2nd 20 mins before lunch and then the last 20 mins before tea but the metoclopramide not sure whens best, have you or anyone out there had any experiences of these ones and when to take them , between this blinking IBS and the headaches I feel like screaming or crying or both ,j ust hope this lot of pills will help and I can get back to normal :)

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »

I would take them after breakfast and then before lunch and dinner. It really doesn't matter much to be honest.
This is what they give you before an operation to make sure your not sick.

Some people don't get on with them at all. They can make you feel a bit strange.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2