Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Which B vitamin prevents mosie bites  (Read 14904 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Which B vitamin prevents mosie bites
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »

Bar into the fridge first, taken out and whack - no mossies - of course the chocolate will melt  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »

;D ;D ;D No it wouldn't CLKD, wouldn't be around long enough to melt. :whist:

littleminnie

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »

Reading all the post CG, there doesn't seem to be anything that will prevent the mozzy problem completely, so I think if you drink plenty of alcohol (0bviously for medicinal purposes) you won't care so much about the bites.  :)

Rowan

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »

Have to agree with littleminnnie, I have taken B vitamins since my mum placed a bottle of Brewers Yeast in my hand when I was teenager and said they were good for the skin.

I have lived all over the world and the mozzies always made a beeline for me, woke quite a few times woke up with swollen eyes where they bit on the eyelids.

In Singapore we used "Fish Burners" coiled green things on a stand that you lit and they burned to an ash, it was nightly ritual to light them, we still got bitten.

I think they must be attracted to the secretions in the skin, women seem to bitten more then men, covering up and mozzies nets are the only answer as had been said, maybe a pith helmet with net they can be quite stylish ;D

http://theeyetravels.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/safari-style.html

Limpy

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »

G&T is medicinal if you include the quinine in the tonic water  :whist:

Joyce

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »

;D SL.

Linsey44

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »

Def agree with SL women tend to get bitten more than men.  Few years ago in caribbean i was about the only woman round pool for the first week. Start on second week took a period then hey presto several bites on legs.

Flaming hormones are getting the blame

ariadne

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »

Just back from Spain where both my friend's husband and I were bitten several times whereas my friend and my husband were not. My husband used no repellent at all and I used Mosquito Milk roll on repellent as well as a spray.

My friends husband and I were constantly comparing bites and arguing over whose were most painful and swollen. His bites began like mine but then faded quickly to small red spots whereas mine always spread to a large red swollen area much bigger than the original bite.

They gave me a lot of discomfort in bed and kept me awake.

Hubby said I should do what he does if he gets bitten which is slash the bite with a sharp nail to left out the poison. So I tried it on a bite on my wrist - bad mistake as it caused a large red area to spread up my arm along a vein. Fortunately it stopped spreading after a day or two although it still itched like mad

Today my husband brought home a tube of Odomos cream repellent that is used in India. A customer of his gave it to him for me to try after hearing about my bites. I thought it was a tube of toothpaste when I first saw it. I'm going to give it a try and if it works well I can get some from Amazon.

I wonder why some people suffer more than others?

Ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »

Hubby used to say the mossies were so busy nibbling on me that he didn't need any protection. That was until the Bahamas 2 years ago. I got 2 or 3 he had heaps.

Friend away to Turkey armed with skin-so-soft. Will see how she got on when she gets home.

ariadne

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »

Oh yes, I forgot I also had Skin So Soft as well as the Mosquito Milk and spray repellent. I guess I'm just irrisistable to mozzies  ;D

Ariadne xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »

With the humid weather the mozzies are out in force where I live. Yesterday evening I just went out in the garden for a breath of fresh air with the dog, I was wearing thick track suit bottoms and I got bitten twice on my hips!!! The little buggers (sorry for my language) had bitten me through the thick material of the track suit bottoms.  DG x

honeybun

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »

We have been midge free so far this summer. Nothing keeps them off no matter what you use  ::)

A couple of years ago I was bitten by a horse fly. I had the biggest blister and it was the worse bite I have ever had. I hate those but you never know where they are hiding. At least with midges you can see clouds of them appearing at night.

The joys of Scotland  ;D

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »

You have no midges!!!!! That's it I'm moving.  ;D Been heaps here & we haven't had same nice weather. Not fair!  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »

I was wearing thick track suit bottoms and I got bitten twice on my hips!!!

Seems awfully unfair if you got bitten through track suit bottoms, they are thick.
Don't know how to put this, but could you have some little visitors, courtesy of the dog?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »

Hi Limpy
My dog gets regular flea treatment and he certainly isn't itching - dog fleas don't tend to bite humans and these were definitely mozzy bites - I believe cat fleas bite humans though?.  I've had this happen before, I've had to stop sitting on the bench in the garden, even when wearing thick trousers or track suit bottoms, or I get bitten all round my upper legs and hips.  I've actually seen one land on my leg and watched it pierce through the fabric - the little blighters!!! DG x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4