Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Worried I have MS  (Read 6842 times)

shrimpette

Worried I have MS
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:55:48 AM »

For some time I have been worried that I have MS due to frequent headaches, migraine (last 2 years) lightheadedness, tinnitus and tingling sensations (some temp numbness) in legs and arms, particularly at night in my left leg and foot, accompanied by a buring sensation. Even my outer labia tingles on and off! I often wake up with headaches and I've had a patch on my shoulder (above shoulder blade) for 3 years which itches like crazy but also tingles. I am full of aches and pains (particularly lower back - office jobs are not good for backs!) my feet feel rigid in the morning sometimes, my neck is often stiff and wrists and ankles sore, and my focus and concentration is terrible. I've had a CT scan recently which showed a sinus polyp. Went to see neurologist for headaches at the beginning of this year and he said he didn't think there was a problem but refered me for an MRI as a precaution but I couldn't go through with it! ENT may want to refer me for a MRI for hearing. I've never suffered from headaches/migriane before.
Went to see GP last week (I also have lichen sclerosis) it was a dreadful appointment (she told me she had an appointment at 10am so to make it quick!) to talk about this and some of my symptoms and after checking my recent bloods told me that I am glucose intolerant....I had no idea.. should I be worried about all these symptoms poiting to MS?! I'm 49 and a lone parent. :-(

honeybun

Re: Worried I have MS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »

We have another lady on the forum with MS.....Limpy.

Hopefully she will be along soon to give you some advice.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »

shrimmpette
You are describing pretty classic meno symptoms. Anxiety over these symptoms is probably making things worse.   Aching joints, tingling sensations, headaches are all signs of hormone fluctuations etc. If you are already on HRT then perhaps you need to up the dose or try something else.
How dreadful to be rushed with your appointment with the doctor - really not good enough.
Lichen sclerosis can be treated and is probably causing the tingling and itching around the labia.
Lack of oestrogen will make the skin itch - I have to apply masses of moisturiser every day after the shower or I itch like crazy.  I'm 58 and came off HRT 6 months ago (time for a break)and though my flushes have been much less this time my aches, pains, headaches etc. are worse.
If you have an office job then some extra gently exercise could help your joints and improve your health generally.  Brisk walking or perhaps a yoga or pilates class could do wonders.
DG x

libby1

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »

Hi

I thought I had ms a few years ago. Had numbness, tingling, all sorts, absolutely terrified me  :'(

Ended up seeing a Neurologist - not ms. Must have been meno symptoms. Sending you a hug  :hug:

Libby
x

tiger74

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »

You say "should I be worried".  It sounds like you are worried.  As I think I said on another post recently in response to someone with various symptoms... they could all be related or unrelated to each other and all related or unrelated to the menopause.

What would put your mind at rest?  What do you think your options are? 

What was the reason you didn't go through with the MRI scan?  (Not my favourite thing either, BTW, but have had several).  Would having the results of an MRI scan help alleviate your concerns?

If so, can you see a way of going through with it?           

If not, what do you think is the best way forward?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:41:39 PM by tiger74 »

minkusmum

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

Hi Shrimpette

I read your post and had to reply. I joined this group a few months ago because I have MS and was pretty sure that the menopause was making me feel much worse - I've since started HRT (and have seen a big improvement, btw).

From what you describe, I would say that some of your symptoms could point to MS, but all of them could also be related to the menopause - it can be hard to know what is causing what, which makes everything much more difficult. :-\

I really understand why you couldn't face an MRI scan - I had one a few years ago and it was not at all the walk in the park some people had said it would be. It does beat a lumbar puncture though, which is just barbaric. Having said all that, I really would suggest that you get one one of your neurologist has offered it. It's not at all nice, but the results will put your mind at rest. After all, even if it does turn out to be MS, at least you can start on some treatment now. I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but there are a lot of treatment options out there which could be helping you right now.

Can you get someone to go with you if you have an MRI scan? I think you'll find it a lot easier if you do?

Please keep me posted

minkusmum

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »

Shrimpette - The thing with MS is that there are no definites, it's not easy to diagnose  or know how to treat if diagnosed.

The good news is that you have seen a neurologist and he didn't think you had it, they go mainly on history of clinical symptoms when making the initial diagnosis. It would be really good if you could go for a MRI scan because then they can see if there are any plaques on the myelin sheath. It could be many things so please try not to panic.

Sorry, got to dash, OH is having big problems with big floaters which have suddenly come on in one of his eyes, and we can't get to speak to anybody in the local eye hospital.

Linsey44

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »

Sorry you are having such a hard time, hopefully you will get an outcome soon, often its the unknown that scares us more.

Maybe an mri scan could put you mind at rest.  I have had 2 mri and the first one upset me a little bit.  Then when i was going for a breast mri the consultant told me to ask my GP for a low dose of diazapem to numb me slightly.  You would need to take someone with you as you shouldnt be on your own after taking that med.

I ended up not asking for diazapem, getting in a bit of a state, took bach rescue spray and the pastilles but managed with support from the nursing staff.

Good luck

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »

Hi shrimpette - this worry is obviously eating away at you. Just want to say that I had dreadful numbness and tingling in arms, hands and later legs and feet and it was all down to wear and tear in the neck vertebrae. I was amazed that what seemed to be such a small thing could stop me doing things such as hanging out the washing, drying my hair or standing for periods of time. After a course of physio (following an MRI scan to rule out MS) the tingling, lightheadness etc. all disappeared. It does come back now if I forget to do my neck and spine exercises. Have you ever had a neck injury such as whiplash.

Taz x

SilverFairy

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

Have you had your vitamin B12 checked? A deficiency doesn't cause all the symptoms you have, but does cause many.

shrimpette

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »

Hello again, thanks so much everyone...sorry for delay responding. Tiger74 - you're right I am worried! minkusmum, thanks so much for sharing your insight and DG, thanks too Limpy, hope your OH is alright? Thanks everyone for letting me share my anxiety. Just to let you know, I've been back to see another GP and he is going to do a full screen, B vits, hemoglobin and other things, kidney and liver function and if needs be I'll get some diazepan from my GP and have an MRI. Minkusmum, lumbar puncture sounds horrendous! Bless you. GP said tingling in groin (labia) could be  symptom of spinal stenosis  :( had to look this up, but my last glucose test is also pre diabetic (6) anything above 7 is diabetes apprently...news to me...& headaches and tingling, even in the groin, can be symtomatic. My bloods were done this week so I should have results next week so will keep you posted. I am trying to keep things in perspective....do more exercise...my neck is always stiff/sore (lower back, feet too - early decrepitude!) so will ask to see a physio and see if I improve...thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »

Swimming is good exercise, non weight bearing and sociable.  One needs to do weight bearing exercise too in order to stave off osteoporosis.

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 06:19:03 PM »

I had an MRI for weird neuro symptoms last year and was petrified by it beforehand, but got some great advice on here from Trey about wearing an eye mask which I put on before they moved the bed into the scanner. They gave me headphones and I listened to Alan Bennett reading Alice in Wonderland, which worked better for me than music would have. The MRI technician talked me through everything and told me how long each sequence would last.
I did take diazepam though.

Next day they rang to say that they needed to redo part of it (panic!) and I took my mask and cd but no diazepam and it was fine.
It's not fun, but probably easier than the dentist!

Good luck.