Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hillsborough - again  (Read 4258 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Hillsborough - again
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »

Why can't it be laid to rest  :-\  :'( - these families have not been able to mourn because of all the hype, Inquests, on-going discussions ………

bramble

Re: Hillsborough - again
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »

What shocked me was it said it would go on for about a year. What a commitment that means for all involved and esp. the jurors. How did they manage to get a jury that could put their lives on hold for a whole year - never mind the financial constraints?
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »

I think it's the families that have pushed for this latest inquest. They still wants answers but what it will achieve I really don't know.

It's a huge commitment for any juror. What happens to careers and mortgages and lives.  :-\

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »

This kind of situation is surely beyond Jury Service …….. (something I no longer agree with) …… what do the families want exactly?

Witches Cat

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »

It's such a shame that this is being raked over again, nothing that is said or done will bring any of them back, accidents happen and this WAS an accident at the start, no one planned for it to happen, and maybe the police didn't handle things well at the time, but think of the panic and confusion that must have been going on... and think of the cost of all this now and for the next year if it does indeed take that long. It's very sad but it's done, and the best we can hope for is that with proper planning nothing like that ever happens again.  :'(

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

It really can't happen again because fans are not penned in anymore.
The police did make mistakes and statements were changed to cover things up. Football violence was rife in those days and because of this and to stop pitch invasions they caged in the stands.
If this level of violence had been controlled then there would have been no need for cages and this tragedy would not have happened.

It's very sad but nothing will change what happened.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »

Also - why don't people look for a way out when they arrive at a venue, it's the 1st thing I do - to make sure that if push comes to shove, I can get out ………. is this new enquiry about compensation  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »

CLKD - I don't think there was a way out for the people who were killed, they were crushed before they fully got into the stadium. There was no way to escape or get onto the pitch when fans were pushing from behind to get into the ground on time.

I think it's the families themselves who want the inquest, they were not happy with what was decided on at the first one. Also, I think the lawyers won't be unhappy at the fees they will accumulate during the coming months.

tiger74

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »

Also - why don't people look for a way out when they arrive at a venue, it's the 1st thing I do - to make sure that if push comes to shove, I can get out ………. is this new enquiry about compensation  :-\

Have you ever been to an event with thousands of people present?  Fair enough looking for a "way out" - I think you would have struggled to get to an exit at this particular venue when the problems arose. 

Many innocent people died at Hillsborough and I personally think they deserve respect whatever you may think about the motivations behind having a new inquest. 

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »

Of course they deserve respect. It was a tragedy that should never have happened.

I don't think anyone meant anything other than that.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »

Such a shame that all these years later, the relatives are still having to go through this.  Hard enough knowing they've lost relatives. I hope they get closure.

As for looking for an exit, easy under calm conditions, add mass panic & it's a different story.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »

Yep I've been in busy stadiums/event venues which is why I advise - always look for a way out before settling in.  I keep an eye for how busy a place is whether it's a shopping mall or event venue even in a field ....... probably due to my ease of panic when surrounded by people ... no-one expect this situation to happen  :'( I don't think anyone expected the probing to go on and on and ....... sadly it's perhaps a sign that people didn't/don't want to take responsibility ....... since then 'duty of care' has fortunately been much more the order of working with people - hopefully this Inquest will bring closure.