Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: This damned clock change  (Read 5048 times)

Witches Cat

This damned clock change
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »

Do any of you ladies out there feel even more spaced out and knackered today after the clocks changed yesterday. For years I've said it gives me "jet lag" although I've never had proper jet lag, never had a passport for that matter, but this hour out completely throws me. Going the other way is fine. Yesterday hubby and I went for a 4 mile walk in the sunshine as father-in-law was having a good day and we could leave him be for a while. (He's got early Alzheimer's), but because we had time out it disrupted our usual routine, a big breakfast to "tide us over" replaced the usual weetabix and tea, and then nothing till half five when we got in. I now have awful back ache from walking in trainers instead of my walking boots and slip sliding in mud, stomach ache from what I can only think is an air lock, or maybe twisting myself getting over a style, and my usual meno head is totally shot. I'm asleep on my feet and because of my stomach pain down one side I'm panicking more than usual which isn't helping. I wish they'd leave the clocks alone, it's not saving daylight, it's gonna do it's own thing as the year passes anyway, you can't have what's not there no matter how you mess it about.   There, I feel a bit better now... sorry for inflicting that on you.   :-\

Galadriel

Re: This damned clock change
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »

Hi Witches Cat,

Been saying the same thing in our office - particularly the ladies of a 'certain age'. We are setting the rest of the office off in a game of 'pass the yawn'!!

I was fine yesterday - whizzing around being busy. Today I couldn't get out of bed, I have the attention span of a gnat and generally feel out of sorts. I ache all over but that might be due to yesterday's exertions  ;D

Hopefully we will be back to whatever passes for normal by Thursday  :o

Galadriel x

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

I wish they'd decide to have either GMT or BST (in the UK) and then leave it alone!!  I too am wiped out today, after even less sleep than usual on a Sunday night (never sleep well on Sundays before work!).  And, as someone who gets up early (0530!), I'd just got nicely used to getting up and going to work in daylight, and now it's dark again!!  Like you say - it doesn't 'save daylight' - there's a finite amount of daylight no matter where you put it in the 24 hour period!! 

I don't have a problem with using BST (so having the long summer evenings), but I really can't see any real advantage to changing it.  All it does is mess us all up twice a year!!

Witches Cat

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »

oh I am so pleased it isn't just me... my logical head says the day carries on the same, you just start the thing at a very slightly different time.... but my bodyclock says "hang on there... everything's changed..." and it's gonna take a week to come to terms with it.  ???

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »

I used to really struggle with it when the children were very young as babies and toddlers take ages to get used to the change. Now it's not that bad for me but I don't work and I wake at about the same time every day without an alarm clock.

It does make quite a difference in Scotland with regards to daylight hours though. Not so much in spring but definitely in autumn.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »

I had a deep sleep then managed not to wake properly until 9.30 this morning.

It is said that because of the phaff with the various energy companies that 'they' will put the clocks forwards this year and not back - followed by another shift next year to bring us into line with mainland Europe ……..

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »

I always suffer - dont know if its physical or in my mind but that hour really messes me up , I never sleep well with a clock change - am out of sort s for about a 5 days until I get back to normal, so pleased to see it happens to other ladies, meals for us to were all out of kilter so that doesnt help,

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »

I've never even thought about it. Not sure that it effects me apart from making me grumpy that the evenings are getting lighter!!  ;D 

Taz x

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »

I love it when the clocks go back (an extra hour in bed!), but hate it when they go forward!  Hubby and I went to bed an hour early (old time) on Saturday night, but I too have felt rather spaced out and weary today.  And Taz2, how nice to "meet" someone else who also doesn't like the evenings getting lighter!  I actually like the darker evenings, because it's easier to wind down at the end of a day and feel sleepy.   There's always been something about the lighter spring/ summer nights that unsettle me  They just don't feel right.  Good job I wasn't born Scandinavian - or even Shetlander, for that matter.  I'd have never got on with the "simmer dim"!
 ::)

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:18 PM »

It's funny how we are all so different. I love the long summer night's where sometimes it never gets properly dark until nearly midnight. In the winter up here it can be getting dark before 4pm and the dark nights seem to last forever.
The joy of living in Scotland  ::)

Honeyb
x

dulciana

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »

The funny thing is, Honeybun, I live in Scotland too.  My hubby simply can't understand me on this one.  Still, as you say, we're all different...........mind you, my gran was the same.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »

I turned really weary mid afternoon and DH suggested he could revive me if he helped me make the bed  >:( - he ought to know that by the time my head hits the pillow, bed made or not ……  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »

I hate the clocks going forward - It just doesn't feel right, much prefer GMT.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »

I had a  lovely sleep this afternoon ………..