Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Daft question alert  (Read 6757 times)

Joyce

Daft question alert
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »

This is probably daftest question, but here goes.

Does taking ABs interfere with uptake of HRT? Reason I'm asking is, my flushes have suddenly increased since starting ABs. Maybe just a coincidence.

honeybun

Re: Daft question alert
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »

Not that I am aware of CG. But who knows what medicines react with what so it could be possible.

I think it may just be an unhappy coincidence.

Hope they tail off again.

Honeyb
x

Mrs January

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »

Hey

I had a lot of hot flushes on starting on AD's they do settle but may take a week or two.

Hugs

Mrs January

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »

Don't know - ask a Pharmacist?

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »

CG is your HRT patches or pills?

If pills ABs may affect uptake. Well they do with the contraceptive pill, which is same sort of thing as HRT, ok different levels but the same type of thing. Would have thought patches would be ok but ask a pharmacist.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:37:27 PM by Limpy »

lubylou

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 08:33:17 PM »

HI CG

Yes I think they do, see the text of an article below about estrongens and Antibiotics. (although it was a question about the Birth Control Pill it specifically refers to the estrogens)

Lubylou

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=17192
There are two ways that antibiotics potentially can reduce the action of birth control pills. Birth control pills contain estrogens. Some antibiotics, e.g., rifampin, griseofulvin, cause the enzymes in the liver to increase the break-down of estrogens and thereby can decrease the levels of estrogens in the body and the effectiveness of the pills. This can result in unwanted pregnancy. Therefore, individuals taking birth control pills should use a second method of birth control when taking these antibiotics or other drugs that can increase the break-down of estrogens.
The other way that antibiotics could interfere with the effectiveness of birth control pills is by reducing the re-circulation of estrogens within the body. Estrogens, e.g., ethinyl estradiol, in birth control pills are broken-down by conversion in the liver to other chemicals which are then secreted into the intestines in the bile that is produced by the liver. Bacteria in the intestine are able to convert these chemicals back into the active estrogen which is then reabsorbed into the body.. This re-circulation is called entero-hepatic cycling. Theoretically, antibiotics can kill the bacteria that convert the inactive chemicals to the active estrogen, and, therefore, may interfere with the effectiveness of birth control pills.

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »

Just found this

"Although there are no adverse reactions between drugs and oestrogen or progestogen - the main components of hormone replacement therapy - there are certain drugs which can reduce the effectiveness of HRT.
Women taking antibiotics, medication for blood pressure or epilepsy should consider taking their HRT via a patch, rather than orally.
'It's not that it's dangerous,' explains Dr Stuart Drew, a member of the scientific advisory group of the National Osteoporosis Society.
'But women on certain medications may very well find that they benefit less from HRT when it is taken orally because other oral drugs compete for absorption into the body via the liver. In these situations, it's very easy to switch to a patch.'"

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »

I'm on patches, well half patches as I'm trying to come off HRT. I knew it affects those on the pill, just wondered if same for HRT. Weird how in past week flushes have been quite strong. Up until the ABs, I was just having warm glows. Took last tablet today, so will see if things improve again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »

The Pill is hormone based though.  ADs aren't  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »

Are we talking ADs or ABs, thought CG had mentioned ABs?   :-\
Anti Biotics (ABs) mess up the uptake of hormones.
Don't think Anti Depressants (ADs) do though. Though nothing would surprise me now   ::)

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »

It was ABs. Had look online. More likely to affect folk taking oral HRT though, so may just be coincidence. Will try & remember to ask chemist tomorrow.

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »

Perhaps if you're on half a patch there's less hormone around and more likely to be affected by ABs?

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »

Goodness knows. Though I have to say, although my tum was upset, it's been much, much worse on other ones.  So have kept a note of latest one for future reference.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »

Spoke to pharmacist, she says that ABs could possibly upset uptake of HRT, especially as they had given me the runs.  She says it's less likely with patches, but not impossible.

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »

See CG - It's not a daft question at all. It's good that you were able to speak to a pharmacist. Hopefully now your stomach has settled your flushes will too.
Pages: [1] 2