Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do????  (Read 6417 times)

mamakaren

What to do????
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience being on HRT combined with Effexor? I am having trouble finding anything that helps me and went to the 75 Estradiol patch 6 weeks ago. I had previously been on the 50 and Celexa(anti-depressant). My Dr kept increasing the Celexa even though it wasn't helping at all. I went back last week and she changed the celexa to Effexor. It's only been a week but I'm feeling worse than ever! My hot flashes are under control but everything else is horrible. I've been in tears constantly! :'( Desperately looking for something to help!!!

Advice???

Karen

JJ

Re: What to do????
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »

Have a  :hug: I'm not on hrt , I am taking anti depressants and I did try a few before I found the right one. Keep talking to your gp until you find you are settling . Lots of ladies on this site have great success with hrt x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »

What is making you tearful?  In what way do you feel 'worse'?  Some ADs take up to 14 days before they kick in which can seem ages when we want something to work instantly.

mamakaren

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »

I don't know really whats causing it. It seems everything makes me either tearful or really angry. I can't concentrate on anything!

I am trying to be patient but since I was on the Celexa for months with no results, I'm starting to wonder if this is just going to be my life now!

Sorry for whining, just can't live like this!

tjsmith

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »

Hi there

I have been in simular position as im on sertraline and have been 18 months now but was still having 10 days a month of high anxiety.

I was put on everol patch with mirena coil by gynae as he said its perimenopause triggering it, well 3 months on and scared that the bad patch is even longer.

I would say in your case your body got double wammy new antidepressant and hrt bless you.
Antidepressants take a lot longer to even out than we are told for me 6 months for anxiety to improve at all.

I really hope you get sorted but you far from alone.

Tracy x

JJ

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »

It can feel like you are never seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but with hrt and anti depressants I am sure the treatment will kick in soon. Since being in peri and starting anti depressants I can still be up and down, I'm hoping I will soon be post menopausal with a reduction in symptoms. Some weeks I feel great some weeks the symptoms back, it's a pain in the neck. I do seem to be able to cope better with my symptoms now, but if I'm having restless nights that sets me back. I think it's very common to feel more emotional due to the hormones being up and down, you are not alone with that symptom.

If you feel there is not improvement at all, I would go back and discuss with gp, I do now how horrible it is trundling backwards and forwards to docs. Hang in there x

mamakaren

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I have been having trouble for over a year now. Had a complete hysterectomy last January and still trying to get some help! There don't seem to be ups and downs right now. Just downs. My hormone levels are steady since I'm not getting periods! no one here seems to know what my problem is! Lol!

Galadriel

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »

Hi Mammakaren.
Have a hug from me. The AD you were on dealt with serotonin only. Effexor has effects on noradrenalin (norepinephrine) which will help your low mood but will take time to have an effect.
Did you have a break between the two? It takes around 35hours for half the dose to wash out of your system. If you didn't have a break you may be getting the effects of extra serotonin action for the two... one washing out and one phasing in.
I have no experience of taking it with hrt, just on its own and it did work wonders for me. The only piece of advice I can offer is to make sure you take Effexor with food otherwise you'll spend the rest of the day feeling sick. I did that once- not pleasant.
Incidentally, Effexor has some evidence of being quite useful in controlling flushes.

Fingers crossed for you x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »

:thankyou:  I usually take my ADs at night so my stomach is full.  Also any side-effects happen in the night .

Once I had decided that I wanted to feel better I wanted to feel better yesterday  ::)

Dizz

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »

I've been on Efexor for some years and was on HRT until a month ago.  I do remember feeling worse before I felt better when I started the Efexor - it was around 3 weeks I think before I began to feel the benefit.

Very hard I know, but hang in there.  :hug:

mamakaren

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies!! I guess I'll give the Efexor more time and hope it works! I think I probably should have been weened off the Celexa before starting the Efexor! But my dr. thought it would be ok! I have fotten a red, scaly rash on my neck and back since starting the Effexor. Has anyone else experienced this side effect?

After reading that Effexor has worked for some of you, I am feeling a little more hopeful! So thanks for that. I've been feeling bad for so long I guess I can wait a few more weeks!

:thankyou:
Karen

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »

Some ADs need weaning off others can be taken in tandem.  Have a word with your GP about the rash.  Or a Pharmacist.  Try not to look too far ahead, try to rest and let the meds do their work …….. let us know how you get on!

Galadriel

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »

Rashes occur in 0.1- 1% of people who take Efexor, so its very rare. I agree with CLKD, check it out with the pharmacist and take each day one at a time  :hug:

mamakaren

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the help! Being patient has never been my strong suit!  :-[ Especially when I'm feeling poorly! I called my Dr about the rash and she has prescribed me a cream. So hopefully that will help!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »

Did she say if it is a recognised side-effect?  I don't remember a rash when taking it  ::) ……..

I wasn't born with the Patience gene either  ;D - have had to learn to listen to my body!
Pages: [1] 2