Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not allowed anymore vagifem  (Read 26591 times)

Sarah2

Re: Not allowed anymore vagifem
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »

However, there is little evidence to prove the safety of vaginal preparations beyond one year of use; clinicians should therefore aim to use the lowest effective dose for symptom control and counsel women regarding this.

If a Dr read the above they could feel justified in stopping the use after 1 year.

YET further down the piece it says this:

Low-dose vaginal estrogenic creams, rings, tablets and pessaries should be considered for all women with symptoms of urogenital atrophy.
Local estrogenic preparations and may be more effective than systemic therapy and can be used in conjunction with oral/transdermal HRT.
Indefinite usage is usually required as symptoms often return when treatment is discontinued – progestogenic opposition is not required as systemic absorption is minimal with estradiol and estriol preparations.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:56:58 PM by Sarah2 »

hummingbird

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »

Aww, thankyou ladies for your help and suggestions, you are all brilliant.
Taz, I have mentioned my bloatedness to my gp and the urologist as I was worried about the possibility of ovarian cancer, (as my paternal Nan had it) neither of them seemed overly concerned, but I must say, I tend to agree with Milliemoo, that it is part and parcel of low estrogen as for the 3 months I was on the vagifem my stomach returned to its normal flatness and now that the vag has been stopped all the nasty symptoms are back, including my huge bloated tum.  :(
I'm not really sure if I have the VA tbh, as I don't really have the dryness or burning, just pain in my back and stomach, constant need for a wee and the bloated tum.

Hurdity and Sarah, thanks for the great information, you have certainly given me plenty of homework, my aim is to be so well informed on the matter that my GP will have no option but to sit up and listen to my concerns. I have a week !! Watch this space girls !!!

Milliemoo, I have taken a tolterodine this evening ( will just have to put up with the dry mouth) but I will ask for the kentara patches next week.
 :thankyou: everyone

Trey

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 03:17:10 AM »

Have you had a pelvic ultrasound?  The vagifem's effect on you is quite dramatic and I wonder if your ovarian function is somehow affected by the slight addition of this very mild hormone.  This is good scan, especially for confusing symptoms.  I highly advise this study and it may guide your physician to more educated treatment for you.

Milliemoo7

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »

Good for you Hummingbird.

Sarah2, where did you get those 2 conflicting pieces of info from?  I'd like to quote the latter one to my GP if she tries to take my Vagifem away  >:(

Sarah2

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »

Millie- oddly enough they are both on the same paper by the same dr!

Go to the link left by Hurdity on the previous page to this thread- the one linked to the 'sage ' info.
http://min.sagepub.com/content/19/2/59

But then scroll through  to Routes and Regimes until you reach the piece I quoted. Here:

Low-dose vaginal estrogenic creams, rings, tablets and pessaries should be considered for all women with symptoms of urogenital atrophy.
Local estrogenic preparations and may be more effective than systemic therapy and can be used in conjunction with oral/transdermal HRT.
Indefinite usage is usually required as symptoms often return when treatment is discontinued – progestogenic opposition is not required as systemic absorption is minimal with estradiol and estriol preparations.
Off label use of vaginal estrogen therapy can be considered in women with a history of hormone sensitive malignancy but the pros and cons of each case should be weighed up carefully with close collaboration with the oncology team.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:06:58 PM by Sarah2 »

hummingbird

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »

Sorry for the late reply Trey but not been able to get my head into gear to post anything for a few days, but thankyou for your input. My gp appointment is tomorrow and I will request a pelvic scan. I will also be asking to be referred to a meno clinic as I feel I can't go on with this pain and misery any longer. My symptoms have still not abated and to make it worse my gp,s rang me Friday to say that the appointment I made with the lady gp as had to be rearranged, due to her being sick. I'm now seeing a new young male Doctor. I would have preferred to see a lady gp, but if I want to do that, it is 1 more week to wait for app and I just can't wait any longer.  :(

Has anyone had good care at either Nottingham, Derby or a Chesterfield meno clinics? As I can't decide which one to ask for a referral to.

Thanks to everyone on this site, it is my lifesaver at the moment. So for all you lovely ladies, just wanna say, hang in there, we're all in this together and it's great that we can support each other through such a difficult time in our lives xx

Trey

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

Hi Hummingbird, so glad you will ask for scan.  So much better than guesswork and will reduce normal anxiety associated with the unknown and hit or miss answers.  I'm having retinal scans this Wed and scared to death, but know the relief I will have with results to guide treatment. The unknown is always the worst.

hummingbird

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »

Thanks Trey. Aww, I feel for you. Good luck with you scan on Wednesday. Retinal scan? Am I right in thinking that is to do with your eyes?

hummingbird

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »

Went for my dreaded gp app with the new young male Doctor yesterday and he was brilliant. He gave me the vagifem straight away and said he was very surprised that my urologist had refused to give it me!!!
He has given me 7 weeks supply and wants to see me when in 6 weeks time. If everything has settled down he will then put it on repeat script for me.
If I'm still having problems he will send me for a pelvic scan and also refer me to a menopause clinic.
I'm really happy with that, I'm just furious with the urologist for putting me through all this unnecessary pain. Just hope the vagifem doesn't take too long to kick in !!! Xxx

Katy

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »

So pleased for you hummingbird thank goodness you have an understanding GP.  Hopefully your pain will diminish in the next couple of weeks.  Did he tell you to start again and use every night for two weeks?

Katy x

hummingbird

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »

Thanks Katy, yes, he said every day for 2 weeks then twice a week, but I'm still in loads of pain and my bladder is driving me nuts, (my trips to the loo are getting ridiculous) so I'm gonna double up on the vag for a few days just to get it back in my system!!

Things can only get better!!!! ..........can't they?    :neutral: xx

scriv

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »

Good luck, Hummingbird. I would double up too, speaking as one who now has to double the dose now they only manufacture the 10mcgs.

Hurdity

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »

Good news hummingbird and hope it sorts you out!

Hurdity x

hummingbird

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

Thanks Scriv and Hurdity, just can't wait for it to kick in now, as it's been going on for almost 2 weeks I'm well and truly peed off with it ....literally !!!
Thank god I'm not on a water meter, must have had 15 wee's already..... And that's just today!!!
Sometimes it's hard to be a woman....Oohh, feel a song coming on here.
got to laugh though eh.... Even when we don't feel like it, we can't let the bugger get us down can we!!!!! ;)

scriv

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »

Love the water meter and the pop song  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]