Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: FSH Level  (Read 5546 times)

toffeecushion

FSH Level
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »

I have just rang the doctors for my latest blood test results and am a bit disappointed.

FSH level was 8, so I guess I'm not perimenopausal then.  She also said my NH level was 1.9 (may have mis heard her, after checking online think she may have said LH).

On a good note my ferritin level has risen from 9 to 34.9, but my Hb is now getting low so the doctor wants to see me.

At the doctors this afternoon so will see what she says.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: FSH Level
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »

Hormone blood tests are reliably unreliable as they only show how the hormones are at the moment that the bloods are taken  ::)

Make a list of symptoms to take this afternoon and work through each with your GP.  Take a notepad so that you can jot down any salient points.  Don't be afraid to make another appt next week to discuss anything you think of after this appt.  ;)

BreadFruit

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »

Totally agree with CLKD above.

Do NOT rely on the blood tests alone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »

:thankyou:

How did you get on with the appt.?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »

Hi toffeecushion. Your FSH level is extraordinarily low.

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

The doctor doesn't think the bleeding is menopause related.  She has said to wait for my scan next week and then she will refer me to a gynecologist.  In the meantime I have to continue taking the iron tablets.

At least I will get a referral and hopefully will get sorted there.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

I just wondered whether you have been given any indication as to why your FSH level is so low?

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »

I just wondered whether you have been given any indication as to why your FSH level is so low?

Taz x

I was just told it was satisfactory.  I have done a bit of searching and found this 'FSH is often used as a gauge of ovarian reserve. In general, under 6 is excellent, 6-9 is good, 9-10 fair, 10-13 diminished reserve' So I am assuming everything is ok.  Hopefully will learn more when I see the gynecologist.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »

I have forgotten how old you are - it just seemed very low for a woman approaching menopause. This is an interesting description of FSH levels and what they mean if you want to read it. http://natural-fertility-info.com/fsh-fertility.html The pituitary gland is responsible for regulating it.

My level was around 60 at aged 50.

Taz x
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:07:48 AM by Taz2 »

toffeecushion

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »

I read about the pituitary gland and thought (worried really) that I may have a problem, but have tried to tell myself that it my GP says it is ok then it must be.  I will definitely mention it next time I see her, but I tend to worry myself silly about everything so am trying to block that one :)

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »

My FSH is 2 & I am 51 yrs old. To me that sounds far too low & should be queried but no nothing no hrt yet. I am beginning to wonder if I have fibroids or cysts as some of my symptoms are related, plus I have been a skinny minnie all my life & have a huge tummy like I am pregnant. Pffffffffffff is all I can say sick of no one helping think I am going to have to look into private treatment. x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »

I didn't mean to worry you  :(  I just thought that eight seemed very low but then again I didn't know how old you are. I was reading up on it due to my lack of libido etc. and found it to be interesting.

Two is even lower Bev! Have you queried your pituitary function? There is lots of info on the website http://www.pituitary.org.uk/

Taz  :hug:

toffeecushion

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »

My FSH is 2 & I am 51 yrs old. To me that sounds far too low & should be queried but no nothing no hrt yet. I am beginning to wonder if I have fibroids or cysts as some of my symptoms are related, plus I have been a skinny minnie all my life & have a huge tummy like I am pregnant. Pffffffffffff is all I can say sick of no one helping think I am going to have to look into private treatment. x

Thanks for that Bev, it makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one with low FSH.  I am 47 and I was sure I was perimenopausal.  I cried when I was told I was 8, then I cry at the slightest thing now.  I am so anxious at the moment as well, I have suffered from anxiety in past and was agoraphobic for a while and I can feel myself slipping back.  I have a scan next Wednesday, so will wait to see if I have fibroids or not.  I guess the bleeding could be fibroids or menopause, so I will wait and see.

I am also thinking of going private, but not sure where to start.  Was going to go to a menopause clinic, but if it's not menopause I'm not sure.  Where were you thinking of going?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:28:39 AM by toffeecushion »

toffeecushion

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 09:25:21 AM »

I didn't mean to worry you  :(  I just thought that eight seemed very low but then again I didn't know how old you are. I was reading up on it due to my lack of libido etc. and found it to be interesting.

Two is even lower Bev! Have you queried your pituitary function? There is lots of info on the website http://www.pituitary.org.uk/

Taz  :hug:

I have health anxiety, so worry about everything  :)

bev567901

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »

Toffee Cushion I understand totally I am becoming agorophobic too. Went out for the first time this year last night to a shop at the nearby town & I realised I had a problem. Have withdrawn & hubby doing school runs & shopping since Sept but didn't realise I had got this bad, just thought I was feeling peri ill 24/7. Time to start a new journal now.... going out!  I used to drive for hours on day trips just me & the kids. Hate this hormonal stuff :( xx