Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hot Flush and Pounding Racing Heart  (Read 5514 times)

Shazzie

Hot Flush and Pounding Racing Heart
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »

Hi everyone.

I am new here and wanted to say hello.

Does anyone have any ideas how to cope with hot flushes which usually end up with a pounding racing heart for about 15mins.  It is really frightening.  GP said it wasn't my heart but as I am 53 and haven't had a period for a few months it is most definitely a sign of the menopause.

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Shazzie

Hurdity

Re: Hot Flush and Pounding Racing Heart
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »

Hi shazzie

Just wanted to say  :welcomemm:

You will find lots of information on menopause here (menu on the left) and support from everyone on the forum.

You might like to think about HRT - so have a good read and we are here to help ....

Hurdity x

mamakaren

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

:welcomemm: Hi Shazzy

I'm also new & am finding this forum very helpful! I'm sure you will as well!

Are you currently on HRT?

Good luck!

Karen

Shazzie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »

Hi Hurdity and Karen

Thank you so much for your replies.  I really appreciate it.

The GP has asked me to think about HRT.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and the hot flushes cause my MS symptoms to get worse.

I am going to chat with my MS Nurse and go from there.  Hopefully I will be able to start HRT soon.

Are you on HRT?

Shazzie x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »

Hi Shazzie - my hot flushes/sweats raise my heartrate from a normal 60 beats per minute to around 120 or more every twenty minutes. It can take up to ten minutes for mine to return to normal and makes me feel dreadful. It's amazing how it can affect our whole body.  HRT patches stopped my hot flushes within 48 hours. I am off it at the moment due to my age (almost 60) but for the past six years it has made such a difference to my life. I would recommend it to anyone who is suffering.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Shazzie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »

Thank you Taz for the welcome and your reply.

I really appreciate knowing that I am not alone.  It is very frightening when it happens isn't it?

My GP has recommended HRT but as I have Multiple Sclerosis I need to speak to my MS Nurse/Neuro to make sure it is ok to use the patches alongside the MS Meds.  Hopefully it will be ok as I hate these episodes.

It has really helped and I hope you are doing ok.

Shazzie x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »

Hi Shazzie. I hope you can have HRT. There are other members on here with MS so it may be worth starting a new topic to see whether any of them are on HRT.

Although this link is from a breast cancer site you may find it helpful as it describes what is happening to the body when we have a hot flush http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/menopausal/facing/hot_flashes

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »

Hi Shazzie. I hope you can have HRT. There are other members on here with MS so it may be worth starting a new topic to see whether any of them are on HRT.

Although this link is from a breast cancer site you may find it helpful as it describes what is happening to the body when we have a hot flush http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/menopausal/facing/hot_flashes

Taz x

That was a really good read.  Loved the bit about putting your head in the freezer lol.

Shazzie

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

Thanks Taz

NGood read and like Toffeecushion said I enjoyed the bit about putting head in freezer.  Will have to try that!!

I will put a new thread on to see who are using HRT to get through this.

Thanks again for all your advice and help.

Shazzie x