Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Premature  (Read 4114 times)

Sleepylady

Premature
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »

Hi, this is my first time on here. My doctor recommended that I have a look and so far it's been great. A huge wealth of information.  I am 43 and had symptoms for about 4 years. Last year I started taking hot flushes, and even worse night sweats. I was prescribed Clonodine, which worked for a while, but they are back with a vengeance. I wake at least 5-6 times a night, drenched and very anxious with my heart racing. I was at my doctor today and he suggested HRT, but I really wanted to find out more first. I read positive things about Starflower oil and Menopace. Do you think these would work together? I am a single, working mother and I am EXHAUSTED!!!!! I seem to pick up viruses and infections so easily now where I was once so healthy. I have an ear infection now and totally believe lack of sleep is causing this. I don't want to sound too dramatic, but I feel so low and desperately need to kick these sweats!!!!  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Premature
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »

:welcomemm:  …….. do you need to up the dosage of the Clonodine?

Have a read of the menus left of screen.  Browse round.  Lack of sleep is used as a torture method so we really do miss a good night's sleep!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

Hi Sleepylady & Welcome
I suffered with early peri meno - i was in my mid 30s when I started to get symptoms. 
I would definitely try HRT - at your age you need the oestrogen for the long turn benefits to your bones, heart etc.
Sleep is terribly important and HRT will sort out the night sweats and give you better quality sleep.
Try to get something bio-identical e.g. Oestrogel + Utrogestan. Oestrogel is a gel form of oestrogen and allows you to start on a low dose and increase till you feel you have the symptoms under control.  I used it right through peri and post meno.  Utrogestan is the bio-identical from of progesterone which many find gives the least side effects.  If you ned contraception then you could consider a Mirena coil with Oestrogel or oestrogen patch.
If the GP wants to give you a pill form of HRT try Femiston at this stage as the progesterone is tolerated well by many women.
Life is short and meno symptoms can rob you of your quality of life for many years.
The benefits of HRT usually far out way the risks - so go for it.
Keep posting us and let us know how you are getting on.
DG x

Sleepylady

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »

My dose was upped to 3x daily a few months ago, but to no avail!!!! Have been reading up on the HRT on here and think it's probably the way to go..... :-\  I hear ye about the torture, I sleepwalk through the day. Fall asleep going to work, coming home from work and just about any time I sit down in between!!!!  Oh, to just climb into bed without a care in the world......sigh ::)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »

:welcomemm:

Your GP is right. At your age it is essential you replace the hormones that should rightfully be yours. It will protect your heart and bones and aid good bladder health until the natural age of menopause.
I would stop the AD's with your doctor's blessing of course and get on HRT as quickly as you can.
You are only young and you should be enjoying life.

Have a look at the green menu on the left for choices and ask lots of questions and we will help you as much as we can.

Honeyb
x

Sleepylady

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl, that gives me more info again for my next visit to the doctor.....I wanted to try the herbal remedies but also REALLY want something to work FAST!!!!! Such impatience, I know. But I totally agree that I shouldn't let this interfere with my life now, and it so does!!!!!

Sleepylady

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »

Thankyou so much ladies, you have made me feel better in the last half hour than I have in the last few years.  :D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

I tried every herbal remedy available and spent a fortune with absolutely now benefits.  At your age HRT is the only real option - you are far tooooo young to be without essential oestrogen.  Good diet, exercise, vitamin D and omega oils are just good common sense for everyone. Save your money to do something fun when you start to feel better once you are on HRT.
Keep posting.  Good luck  DG x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »

I tried various alternatives, waste of money. HRT is only thing which worked for me. Clonidine apparently only works for about 1 in 3/4. Absolutely useless for me.  Quality of life is very important. Hope you get something which helps.

Sleepylady

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

I did feel that Clonodine worked.....for a while, but symptoms just returned, twice as bad. I was so ignorant about HRT as I thought I wouldn't be able to get it at my age. Thanks to this site I am finding out more and more and really now believe it is the way to go. It'sva hard thing to talk about with friends and family as everybody has totally different experiences. Usually, it makes me feel like I am whinging and weak and should "just get on with it" as the first doctor I approached, who was female, by the way, told me to do. My mum seems to think she "sailed" through it, not taking anything. But, I remember some ropey moments from when I was a girl, that can now totally be attributed to her menopause. Hopefully my memory will be as selective when I come out the other side  ;D I am so happy my doctor told me about this site and look forward to reading everyones experiences......lovely to feel that I'm not alone. Thankyou.... ;)

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »

I think those of us ladies that suffer through prem meno, all want to try the natural/herbal route for fear of going onto the real Macoy at such a young age, but take it from a has been there and done it all type, they do not work, for prem meno, you need HRT. Your body is depleted of oestrogen, thus the nasties that you are getting. I second what the ladies have said, particularly, the combo that Dancing Girl recommended, the gel and the Utrogestan and also what HB & DG said, that your body needs these essential hormones in order to function properly, do it, you wont regret it, even if its just until you are in your 50's, it turned my life around :) All the best in your decision.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:03:38 AM by Cassie »