Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello, another new member needing advice/support  (Read 3235 times)

mamakaren

Hello, another new member needing advice/support
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »

Hi, i am a new member and love this forum! Just to give some background, I had a complete hysterectomy last January and have been struggling ever since! I am 38 years old and have the surgery due to large painful ovarian cysts. I wasn't able to go on HRT for 6 months due to my drs. fear that they would stimulate more cyst growth. I was put on a combination of anti depressants and estradiol patch 6 months ago and am still expieriencing many symtoms that make my life miserable! My dr. tells me I should stay on this and give it more of a chance, but I'm tired of living this way! I haven't been able to get a referal to a gynocologist & i think my small town Dr. might not have the answers I need!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hurdity

Re: Hello, another new member needing advice/support
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 07:55:27 PM »

Hi mamakaren

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough. Yes definitely you need HRT (as in estradiol) to help protect your bones and other health benefits, as you had an early surgical menopause.

What dose patch are you on?  Yes do try to get a referral to a menopause clinic and gynaecologist so that you can get the best possible advice.

Also after total hysterectomy testosterone levels also fall and can contribute to tiredness - there is some information here - http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php and also here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/testosterone.php

What are the symptoms that are causing you problems?

Hurdity x

mamakaren

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »

Thanks Hurdity for the reply. I am currently on the mildest dose of the estradiol patch and my nurse practitioner hasn't wanted to increase it. Not sure why she just wants to keep increasing the dose of my antidepressant. I have had alot of symtoms, including mood swings, anxiety, memory issues, hot flashes and night sweats and headaches.

Most of the time I just want to give up and hole up in my bedroom. I can't concentrate on anything and get easily irritated. I keep getting told that I am depressed and most of my symptoms are not caused by menopause. But none of this started happening until after my surgery!

I live in a small town in Canada and the nurse practitoner handles all "woman's issues" here. My condition is not considered an emergancy so have had trouble getting a quick referral to a gynacologist!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:04:19 PM by mamakaren »

Chaotic

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:24:31 AM »

mamakaren,sorry I have no advice but on reading lots through the night I hear that depression is very common.I thought it was just me too-I even started thinking that it was because I have never had or wanted children,i thought maybe it was all linked but I see it is all hormonal.good luck.

mamakaren

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »

Hi Chaotic,

Yes my depression is also definitely linked to menopause. It started for me after my full hysterectomy last year. I have been struggling with it ever since! So far HRT hasn't helped me!

Are you on any form of Hrt? I'd be interested to know what works for others since my patch isn't working after 4+ months.

Good luck Chaotic! :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »

Hi mamakaren

I'm not impressed by your nurse practitioner. She clearly doesn't know much about menopause if she is prescribing increased anti-depressants when you are still experiencing obvious symptoms of the menopause which usually respond to the right dose of oestrogen.

Is there a medical reason why you shouldn't increase oestrogen? If not then I would definitely increase. You haven't said what patch you are on but I presume it is 25 mcg as this is the lowest here? I would suggest you try putting two patches on for a month and see how you feel - there may be a few side effects to start with but you will need to ride through them to feel the benefit.

I would also get that gynae referral if that's how it works in Canada.

If you were in UK I would suggest having a consultation with Dr Currie but I doubt it covers outside UK as the £25 charge is charged to the phone bill!

As you 've had a hysterectomy you don't need progesterone if everything came out, so really there is no reason not to take more.

Hope this helps and good luck - you don't want to be suffering. Oestrogen and (testosterone) as I mentioned play a major role in women's well being after menopause.

The trick is getting the levels right - as an absolute minimum it should be sufficient to eliminate troublesome symptoms.

Hurdity x

mamakaren

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »

Thanks so much Hurdity! This was helpful!

I am not impressed mith my NP either! I would have expected more support from another female! I am waiting for a gynocologist appointment, but it's a long wait! I am on the 50 mcg patch and I thought that was the lowest dose but I am probably wrong about that. I am also on celexa as an antidepressant and she's increased that twice so far and I still haven't had any improvement. I don't think I'm depressed but the constant questioning makes me worry about my state of mind!

Does anyone know if maybe the pill form of HRT works better? I have asked and she keeps saying to give the patch a longer trial. It's been 4 months. How long would it need to start working? Should the patch work on all sypmtoms, including moods and anxiety? My issues just seem to be getting worse (except for my flashes-they have improved).

Thanks so much!!!!!

Karen