Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I am very fed up  (Read 4003 times)

lel123

I am very fed up
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

Hi Ladies,
I am looking for advice really. I am 49 and for the past 3 years have been having hot flushes, night sweats, terrible nights sleep, no periods for the last 2 years. At present my biggest problem is my aching bones, I get up in the morning and feel about 100, every joint aches, I do have a bit of arthritis in my neck (diagnosed after x rays last year) but generally feel rubbish  :( tired all the time, sometimes want to burst into tears  :'( my joints ache and creak and click, and I just feel horrid. I was thinking of going to the docs this week and asking for HRT patches, I am a little nervous as HRT has had bad press, but I am sure the Doc will go through all this with me. Has anyone else had bad joints etc and then found that HRT has been wonderful?
Thanks very much and I hope someone will have some advice for me.
Lel

Hurdity

Re: I am very fed up
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:48:57 PM »

Hi lel123

I can't help with the joints issue - but I know that others on here in the past - or even now have suffered with this and found HRT to be helpful and I am sure will be along soon.

HRT will most definitely help with all the other menopausal symptoms and in terms of bad press - HRT taken before the average age of menopause (51-52) doesn't really count in terms of risk and it is beneficial to take HRT to help protect your bones from possible osteoporosis.

It was really only 10 years ago that HRT got a bad press because of the big study that was carried out - but the data have been re-analysed and the study has found to be flawed. In addition the study was carried out using oestrogen derived from horses, and synthetic progestogens. Other studies since then have concluded that bio-identical or body identical HRT - using estradiol and progesterone - and especially when delivered transdermally - is associated with far lass risk.

If you look at the information on this site starting here
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/oestrogens.php

and especially at the page on balancing risks and benefits
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

that under 50 the benefits outweigh the risks.

In terms of quality of life there is no contest. Most of us after perhaps trying a few types and tinkering with the dosage, feel so much better on HRT - and most of the time do not feel rubbish!

Do go and make that apointment with the doc but read up all you can beforehand so that you are well informed - even today some GPs are reluctant to prescribe or are not well informed themselves.

Good luck!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »

:welcomemm: a drop in oestrogen can cause laxity in the muscles = pains in the joints.  Have a read of the menus, left of screen.  Ask away.  Browse round.

groundhog

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »

Hello - I have joint pains which came with the meno.  I too haven't had a period for two years and am now menopausal.  The joint pains are much worse in the morning and I wake up feeling  as I have been run over by a truck!!  My situation is complicated by the fact I have chrons disease and so that could be the cause of the joint pain but my blood tests don't reflect this.  I cannot have HRT owing to a history of severe endometriosis although I do have vagifem.  Really sympathise as it's miserable - do you work or are you able to rest in the mornings to make up for your lack of sleep?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »

Hi lel123 and welcome
Joint aches and pains are common with the meno, however one mustn't forget that joint problems often emerge at our age - just look at how many men have problems in their 40s and 50s. One of the main symptoms in my 30s when I became peri meno was aching joints and HRT definitely helped.
Tiredness, lack of sleep, flushes etc are miserable and HRT may well be worth trying.
Most of us on this site would recommend bio-identical ( Oestrogel or patches with Utrogestan) but many find Femiston quite good because the progesterone in this HRT pill is kinder.
I am an ex dancer and I would strongly recommend you do plenty of walking and take omega oils, glucosamine and Vitamin D to help your bones.  Eat a yogurt each day for calcium.
I'm now 57 and have ongoing problems with hips and lower back - I try to keep my abs strong and keep moving - sitting down for any length of time is a no,no.
Also, what is your mattress like?  If it's old and sagging this won't help.
DG x

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »

I agree with what DG says, in fact the estrogen patch can cause back pain, have a look on the leaflet.

Estrogen can cause the ligaments to loosen especially in the knees, women athletes are aware of this.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:19:43 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »

Brisk walking daily can stave off osteoporosis

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »

Walking of course is good weight-bearing exercise and will help keep your bones healthy along with healthy eating (to include foods rich in Calcium and Vitamin D - plenty of sunlight too), giving up smoking and limiting alcohol, but only oestrogen can slow down the rate of bone loss.

It is well known that women are at greater risk of developing osteoporosis due to oestrogen deficiency following menopause.

Also that a 50 mcg oestrogen patch is the dose recommended as the minimum to prevent/treat osteoporosis.

Most women will experience minor side effects initially, but for most of us these do subside and we are faced with a better and healthier quality of life.

All the information on this site (via the menu on the left) is accurate, up to date and recognised current thinking.

lel123 - from your description you are a prime candidate for HRT that will give you back your quality of life.

Hurdity x

BreadFruit

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »

I had the bone and joint pain issue when waking up in the mornings.

Since I am on HRT tablets I have had no pain. Mind you its only day 5 but I can happily report that I hardly had any issues waking up this morning. I am on tablets as I still get the odd period off and on.