Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: I Spoke Too Soon  (Read 6080 times)

toffeecushion

I Spoke Too Soon
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

After bleeding for 53 days I finally stopped, but only for 5 days.  I am bleeding again and it is even heavier and flooding.  Is this normal?  We got back from Florida today, the flight was a worry, but got through it.  I don't know whether to see if it settles or go to my doctor.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Suzyq

Re: I Spoke Too Soon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:07:42 PM »

Oh dear! I can't help i am sorry, but I feel for you!

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »

The GP will ask if you took the pills he prescribed. Maybe now your holiday is over this would be the time to give them a go before you become really anaemic.

Sorry to hear you are still suffering.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »

I went through stages of having a month of bleeding, no bleeding for a week or so and then bleeding again for weeks. At the time I didn't consult a doctor - just thought it was normal for a fiftyish year old - and it eventually settled by itself. Not before I'd ruined a friends dining chair and a hotel mattress though - embarrassing!!  How heavy is it? It is usually  measured by how many times you are changing pads and tampons. Are you having to use both and is their clotting?

I never became anaemic which was surprising.  You maybe should consult you doc again as to the next step. How long has this sort of bleeding been going on for?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »

See your GP Pronto!  Why suffer  :-\

Annika

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »

Have to agree with CLKD see your doctor 53 days is way to long to be bleeding. There are so many different options now that you don't have to put up with it or the worry that it causes. So sorry you are going through this because i have been there and thought surely it would stop on its own unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Sending you big hugs  :hug:

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »

I went to see my go. She sent me for a blood test to check my iron levels and FSH.  I have a scan booked for the 22nd. She also said to start the northisterone, but I have stopped bleeding again, so don't know whether to take them. I don't feel I need them at the moment and wonder if they will affect the outcome of the scan, will they change the appearance of the thickness or anything else?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »

I think you should do as your GP suggests. It can be very frustrating for a GP to give advice and then have the patient disregard it only to turn up at the surgery again sometime later with more problems maybe caused because they didn't follow advice. If you have a scan booked then it will probably be on the request form that you are taking norethisterone and this will be taken into account re any scan result. If you haven't taken it then your result may not be "true"

Taz x

angelindskiexx

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »

I went to see my go. She sent me for a blood test to check my iron levels and FSH.  I have a scan booked for the 22nd. She also said to start the northisterone, but I have stopped bleeding again, so don't know whether to take them. I don't feel I need them at the moment and wonder if they will affect the outcome of the scan, will they change the appearance of the thickness or anything else?

------

I know all too well the frustration of prolonged and heavy bleeding.  I've taken Northisterone before and it's really good for stopping a heavy bleed but this med has some very nasty side effects.  I recently stopped the N and now I'm on a period again.  You can try the Norethisterone to see what happens and then stop if you feel it's not suiting you, but only if you're on a period.

I'm currently taking natural progesterone cream to see if that helps.  If it doesn't I'm going back to discuss other options with my GP. 

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this %$$!!  but trust me. I know how it feels!

toffeecushion

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »

I was all set to take the norethisterone,  but the bleeding has stopped.  I feel I should wait and see what happens next.

Could this bleed just be a normal period, it only lasted 5 days and was about 8 weeks after the long period started?

This is a horrible thing to be going through, so unpredictable.

angelindskiexx

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »

I was all set to take the norethisterone,  but the bleeding has stopped.  I feel I should wait and see what happens next.

Could this bleed just be a normal period, it only lasted 5 days and was about 8 weeks after the long period started?

--------------

You are going through a similar bleeding pattern to what I had a few years ago.  The doctors will do all the tests to see what might be causing it.  They diagnosed me with a couple of fibroids but mine have become smaller over the years (they wasn't that big to begin with) -  Do you have fibroids?

The other thing I wanted to ask is, do you take Ibruprofen?  Ibriprofen is really good for reducing the blood loss - it works better for me than Tranexamic acid.

toffeecushion

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »

--------------

You are going through a similar bleeding pattern to what I had a few years ago.  The doctors will do all the tests to see what might be causing it.  They diagnosed me with a couple of fibroids but mine have become smaller over the years (they wasn't that big to begin with) -  Do you have fibroids?

The other thing I wanted to ask is, do you take Ibruprofen?  Ibriprofen is really good for reducing the blood loss - it works better for me than Tranexamic acid.

I don't know if I have fibroids yet, I have a scan on the 22nd.  What was your bleeding pattern like, did it go on for a long time?  It's good to know I am not alone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »

I would ring my GP and explain that my bleed has stopped and ask for advice.  Build up a working relationship with your GP as you are going to need it during this time! What is the scan for?