Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Here I go again..........!  (Read 6874 times)

dulciana

Here I go again..........!
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »

Help!  Self-imposed stress time again!  I'm sitting an all-day exam on Wednesday and I'm dreading it.   I'm worried about loss of concentration, forgetting things, going blank, needing a glass of water, looking stupid in front of other younger candidates, getting tired, needing something to eat, feeling claustrophobic, getting weepy, etc.  etc. and generally spoiling my chances.    Oh, and not sleeping well the night before.    It's the written (and final) part of a music exam that I've already passed the practical & performance parts of.   It matters to me intensely, because if I pass this, it will give me professional status as an organist, having changed over from the piano a number of years ago.  I think one of you ladies out there mentioned that you had got your Master's degree not so long ago, but I can't remember who it was.   If anyone could empathise or give a word or two of support, I'd really appreciate it.   Thanks.

Dulciana
 :cat88: :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:02:55 PM by dulciana »

LilFeather

Re: Here I go again..........!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »

:bighug: 

Sounds to me like most of the journey is over, and you've succeeded thus far.  You have the knowledge and ability, you just need to trust and believe in yourself.  You CAN do this!

Maybe find some other activity to focus on. 
Count to 10 slowly while practicing deep breathing.
When doubts surface, remind yourself of your previous success and that you DO know what you are doing.
DON'T focus on sleeping the night before, but on relaxing and just doing the calmest thing you enjoy (bubble bath, glass of wine, reading, massage....)   8)

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »

Hi Dulciana

I was thinking about you, I wasn't sure exactly when the exam was.

The thing is, you can only do your best that's all anybody can do.
Try and keep calm - know it's easier said than done.

Take a glass or bottle of water in with you, a banana mightn't come amiss either.
Just take your time and don't get rushed, you've done all of the work, it will start to come back when you see the questions.

Is there a piece of music you can listen to before to calm yourself or will it distract you?
How about Ride of the Valkyries? A fine example of Woman Power! - Ok perhaps not calming.    :valkyrie:

Lots of luck for Wednesday.

Limpy

dulciana

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

Tons of thanks, LilFeather and Limpy
 :thankyou:

Mrs January

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »

Hi Dulciana

You go girlie, you have done most of the hard work. Those younger candidates don't have  a patch on you and your skill and wisdom.....they probably were out on the lash the night before this exam!

Do whatever you need to make it go well, deep breathing, focus and after the first few minutes the knowledge will take over and away you go to passing this final part.

Good luck lovely xxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »

Oh I remember taking exams ……  and worrying about what to do if I got to the end of the sheet of paper first  ::) even now I feel sick, would I put up my hand to ask for the next sheet or wait until someone else did so  :-\  …… and what would others think if I were first ……….. we should be over that at our age  ::) (oh hats have gone  :D ) but it's nerve racking even so!

Good Luck!

dulciana

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »

This is all so helpful.  Thanks very, very much!
D.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:19:02 PM »

Wishing you loads of luck! Do whatever you need to, to keep calm. How about some Bachs rescue remedy pastilles, you can suck a few before/during exam. I get on better with the pastilles than spray, but if spray would work for you, that's fine too.

Sure you will do absolutely fine! Fingers crossed.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »

My daughter is in the middle of studying for a BA. She is very tired and hugely stressed and she is only 19.

I really admire you going for what you want as a mature student.

My daughter is always calm on the day. She always says that at that point there is nothing more she can do to prepare so let's get it over with.

Wishing you the very best of luck. You have maturity on your side and we can teach those young ones a thing or two.

Honeyb
x

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »

Thanks, Cubagirl and Honeybun.  Mmm, Bach Flower pastilles - good idea!
D.

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »

They come in 2 flavours - natural & blackcurrant. I like the blackcurrant ones. You can get in health shops, or even the supermarket. I know stresscos sell them.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »

Dear Dulciana,

I wish you all the best! Well done! I will quote what my husband would say to you in the course of his professional work. It's just a thought! We all live in our heads. Our thoughts are not real. You can't stop the thoughts coming in, but remind yourself they are not real, then you won't react and get those feelings. You will be fine! Ju Juxx

dulciana

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »

Ju Ju - I'll keep this in mind!
D.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »

How did exam go dulciana? Bet once you got started you were fine.  :)

LilFeather

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »

:)  Was just stopping in to see how things went, as well!
Pages: [1] 2