Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 187

Author Topic: utrogestan/estrogel support group  (Read 728777 times)

mmbecks

Re: utrogestan/estrogel support group
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »

Hi - I'm 'the lady' that was using 6 pumps - which increased to about 10 pumps a day (5 in the morning and 5 at night)!  The gynaecologist said this was ok.  However, it still wasn't helping with my insomnia, night sweats, adrenaline surges etc.  I managed to get to see the nurse practitioner at the Oxford Menopause Clinic (Janet Brockie) and she swapped me to the gel called Sandrena (which I think is stronger so you don't have to use as much of it).  I apply three 1mg sachets a day (1 in the morning and 2 at night).  She said there is no problem with taking high levels of the gel, it's just that in her experience there is a maximum amount the body absorbs and so there comes a point where applying more will not make any difference.   The gel worked in terms of increasing the level of oestrogen but unfortunately I still suffered from adrenaline surges/palpitations and inability to sleep (at all some nights or only a couple of hours).  So Janet advised that I also take an anti-depressant for the anxiety/sweats - I will take my first dose of mirtazapine tonight!   I expect to feel spaced out over the next few days but have reached the point where I simply do not know what else to do.  I'll let you know how I get on.

donnacrichton

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »

Hi good luck hope you get some relief. Will keep a note of that gel  5 1/2 pumps but getting some relief. Anxiety improving daily palpitation also calming down. Let us know how you get on x

Salad

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2014, 12:14:53 AM »

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on the thread  :)

I've recently joined to find out if anyone else was using as much Oestrogel daily as I was- so relieved to read that some of you are using 5/6 pumps too.

My GP is overseeing my menopause care and nearly fainted when I confessed to going up to 5 pumps, not sure what she'll do when I say 6 is barely controlling my symptoms at the moment  ;D

donnacrichton

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »

My consultant was fine with six but it does depend on your age as to how much natural estrogen you should have. If your unsure I found a menopause clinic more helpful x

donnacrichton

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »

I've been applying gel wrongly and rubbing it in until it dries and an up to 5 pumps. The last two days I have left it to dry and anxiety and flushing through the roof tight chest. Not sure how slowly to reduce. X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2015, 06:41:56 PM »

Hi donnarichton and Salad
ARe you splitting you doses into 2 in the morning and 2 at night? Are you applying it to your inner thighs, smearing over a large area from the knee up then allowing it to dry for at least 10 mins. Also the skin mustn't have any moisturiser or lotions on it or this will stop absorption.
Have you had a blood test to see what your oestrogen levels are on this high dose?
If you both are still getting so anxious and flushes etc. with such a high dose then you may be one of those ladies that really need a SSRI alongside the HRT.  The gynae I saw recently recommended Citalopram as particular good for controlling flushes and anxiety and I have a work colleague who uses HRT with Citalopram and it has transformed her life.  My colleague said she felt some nausea and other side effects for the first few days when she started the Citalopram but is now really happy with her regime.
DG x

donnacrichton

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »

Hi DG I had started to rub in the full arm as dried instantly. Had about 2 weeks a bit better then end if last week felt symptoms slipping read on this thread about applying on inner thigh and not rub it in put on handsize then let it dry. Started noticing symptoms worse yesterday anxiety and flushing. Felt it easing off before last nights dose but applied it as usual worse this morning. I've had a bad reaction to antidepressants (made me suicidal) not willing to try again. I had noticed very painful breasts yesterday and also the severe aroused feeling I had before splitting the dose. Don't want to drop it too quick. I have phoned the consultant but usually takes him a few days to reply. It's just I'm not sure how much to reduce without causing more problems. Usually my skin is still moist after applying straight after a bath x

Hurdity

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »

I agree with Dancinggirl re the blood tests and in fact may have mentioned this on another thread? Even though they are unreliable - in your case 2 or 3 blood tests would help decide whether your dose is anywhere near sufficient and help you decide whether low oestrogen could still be the cause of your symptoms - although the blood oestrogen level at which symptoms are apparent varies from woman to woman.

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »

I hope he agrees not sure if I am absorbing any or how much.x

Salad

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:02 AM »

Hi just popping back and have seen these replies :)

DG - I've tried splitting the dose 2 and 2 or 3 and 1 but it didn't relieve my symptoms in the day, so the 4 is all in the morning. This gave me a good result for several months then symptoms would start to appear about 6-7 pm (joint pain, headache) and unless I added another dose before bed the pain would wake me or I'd have symptoms throughout the next day.
My levels seemed to get really out of control following surgery I had in November- new symptoms appeared - but I'm now feeling a lot better and although I've used 6 doses for the last week I will try reducing to 5 if I'm ok again tomorrow.
Initially I applied to my thighs but when the gel was still there 20 minutes later I changed to my arms- (pharmacy had also given me Oestrodose instead of the Oestrogel I prefer)
I've not suffered with anxiety nor had flushes - I suppose they could still appear!
Hurdity- my GP prefers to adjust dose depending on symptom control but I've had two blood tests one to check I was absorbing gel (level was 670) and then another to rule out tachyphylaxis (level was 370) when I went up to 5 pumps.
Thank you for replying - it really helps to hear what others have to say.
:)

donnacrichton

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »

Me too have now dropped ti 21/2 morning and 2 night he thinks by symptoms my estrogen has gone far to high. Is there any problem with this or better 2 1/4 each dose?

curlywurly

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »

Hi Hurdity and all you lovely ladies

I apologise for the delay in replying to your v. helpful advice, have had a pretty rough time of it.

Back on the antidepressants (Citalopram - 10mg) after what was an awful time (was off them for 19 months and really hoped to avoid going back on them - tried everything).  Pleased to say they have definitely helped with the awful gutted feeling and crying though.  I am learning to take life a moment at a time.  CLKD's post from a while back helped me too I screen grabbed it and it really helped! 

'Of course they change your brain  :bang: :bang: :bang: ....... ::)   the brain is an organ very often neglected.  Until depression sets in.  If you are hungry, do you not eat? If you have pain, do you not take relief?  For many years I fought against taking ADs because I need/ed to know what is causing my constant depression.  Usually it's lack of chemicals.  When I accepted that I need to take a low maintance dose FOR LIFE, I was able to move forwards.

Many things we eat/drink/imbibe - do nor not - alter our bodies/brain for ever!'

THANK YOU CLKD!!!  :) :) :)

Reduced Oestrogel to 2 pumps a day and so far seem to be 'ok'.  It is a faff applying the gel but I do like to know I can alter it as necessary (will keep in mind Estradot though for the future).  :)

I think you may be right re: me not being completely post meno as I had a withdrawal bleed on my last Utrogestan break (I take 25 out of 28 days) - I presume this means there is still some life in this old dog yet?!

I am seeing my consultant early Feb and will ask for blood tests just to see if levels are getting better.

I have also begun Androfeme (Testosterone cream for women) as my levels were v. low.  Husband has noticed 'moments' of confidence (not enough for me I want the old me back!!).

Sorry for waffling on.  Thanks so much again for all the advice and help.   :)

CW
 :)

Hi curlywurly

Yes low oestrogen does cause low mood - some women have called it "the feel good hormone". Most women feel at their best during the mid point of their menstrual cycle when oestrogen is at its highest. Low oestrogen is also thought to contribute to post-natal blues and depression as well as low mood just before and at the beginning of menstural cycle.

It is sometimes difficult to get to right when administering externally (as SuzyQ points out) and also I can imagine if you took the amount needed to give levels at what is known as the "pre-ovulatory peak" = very high levels, all the time - we would feel quite odd (maybe that's what you are experiencing when levels are very high SuzyQ?), which is why HRT aims to give levels as an average over the whole cycle.

As SuzyQ says sometimes also applying gel correctly can muck things up a bit - I know the area of absorption is critical. It needs to be spread in such a way that the oestrogen is absorbed before it dries. If it dries too quickly then some of the oestrogen won't be absorbed. I have never used gel so this is just what I've read.

Like SuziQ I use Estradot and have always used this - and I find my levels are always stable.

I would find it too much of a faff to have to put it on every day - let alone three times! Also personally I would not put it on the upper body at all - none of the patches nor the other gel (Sandrena) recommend this - all say the lower half of the body.

Also maybe you weren't quite post-meno - there are some women who will continue to have a bit of a cycle more than 12 months after they've had a period - but this is the cut-off time for investigations. If this was the case for you, you might still experience hormonal fluctuations and associated mood swings. The other thing is your own oestrogen levels will continue to fall for 2 years following the last (ie final) period ie menopause - so you may well be sensitive to this fall as well and require an increased dose.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2015, 06:43:31 PM »

Hi curlywurly

Are you from Aus may I ask? Sorry I've forgotten! I am asking because I hadn't heard of androfeme so Googled it and Aus came up..... and it's not available in UK as far as I know.

Hope you are beginning to feel better...

Hurdity x

curlywurly

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2015, 11:48:10 PM »

Hi Hurdity

My consultant recommended Androfeme 1.0% cream as he wouldn't prescribe the T. for men as he says it's too strong.

Apparently the CEO and Pharmacist, Michael Buckley had given a talk just prior to my appointment so he had the details of the product to hand.

I have since emailed Michael Buckley who is very helpful and there is a company newsletter each month too.

I ordered it direct from Testomed.com no prescription was needed.  Although I have a private prescription from my consultant which I can now get at a pharmacy in London.

Not cheap but I was/am desperate to feel better so thought I would give it a try.

I am 'getting there' - thanks for asking - I hope you are well.  :)

Take care
CW :)

Hi curlywurly

Are you from Aus may I ask? Sorry I've forgotten! I am asking because I hadn't heard of androfeme so Googled it and Aus came up..... and it's not available in UK as far as I know.

Hope you are beginning to feel better...

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »

Hi been reducing estrogel as had gone too high. This week has brought some great relief and gone from 51/2 pumps to four. Was improving every day until yesterday my symptoms are showing I am high again. Tingling head and burning with jitters. How long before it could just be settling. It is out the blue when everyday was brining improvement?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 187