Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How to Stop Bleeding  (Read 3611 times)

toffeecushion

How to Stop Bleeding
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »

Does anyone know what a doctor would do for prolonged periods?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How to Stop Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »

There is a drug which can be prescribed.  Have a word with your Practice Nurse or Pharmacist if you can't get a GP appt..

bev567901

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »

Tranexamic Acid, I got it a few yrs ago but didn't take it in the end as I read the side effects leaflet & got scared. Stupid really as in 2002 I had a placental abruption & developed DIC & lost every drop of blood in my body & I must have been on much worse drugs then. If a drug says nausea as a side effect I tend to panic xx

daisie

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »

hi toffeecushion,doctor once prescribed me northisterone ,  its a progesterone tablet,which stops bleeding x

toffeecushion

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »

Thanks for your replies.  I don't like taking medication for anything.  I am dreading being prescribed something.

daisie

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

how long does your bleeding last x

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »

This is the first time it has happened.  It is very light and has so far lasted 24 days.

bev567901

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »

Toffee Cushion I am a bit like you with meds but you know sometimes we have to take the plunge. I got some strong painkillers for my cramps last period but have only started using them this week when my period is imminent because I am stupid basically. I only take them when I have a large meal too so I don't get my breakfast dose even though I have 2 weetabix. It is irrational I know I have a strong fear of side effects that will probably never happen. Maybe look at it as at the mo you might be prescribed x, which is fine but if things get really bad over the next few months you might get prescribed y which is a horible drug.  It must be horrible to bleed for so long xxx

daisie

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »

like me ,I have gone through menopause with having bleeding problems,having to have hysteroscopies,2 times,biopsies 2 times polyps removed 2 times,also a fibroid,did not have that removed,biopsies,came back ok,im not on hrt,so iv not had anything to control the symptoms,im 58 now and still not over it I still have problems with bleeding,had all the blood test done 2 weeks ago for thyroid and everything else,my homone levels are low,i know I need hrt ,but I too are scared of the sideaffects,im thinking now weather to go and give it a try x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:14 PM »

Hi toffeecushion

As you say your bleeding is very light, so it sounds doubtful whether you would need norethisterone - which would stop heavy bleeding often caused by a thickened utrine lining ie it thins the lining. I think Trane... acid is for this too ( I've no experience of this).

So - since it's the first time it has happened, I would just go to the doctor to check all is OK. You haven't said how old you are or where in menopause - so maybe you are still having regular periods and this is just a long one?

The doc may check your lining (send for a scan) or give you a blood test (if you are peri-menopausal one test won't really show anything) - but often what you are experiencing is typical of the variation in periods which begins to happen aorund peri-menopause.

Are you having any other symptoms which might indicate menopause?

Here is an article about what happens to the body at this time:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

This doesn't answer your question - sorry! I don't know if the doc would prescribe anything if the bleeding isn't heavy, and in the absence of symptoms, but HRT would regulate your periods, as would the pill - but the latter is synthetic though.

Hurdity x