Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: A cat that plays "fetch"  (Read 11922 times)

dulciana

A cat that plays "fetch"
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »

My cat likes to chase an old champagne bottle cork upstairs when I throw it;  then she picks it up in her mouth and runs to the top of the stairs, to the gallery (it's an old school building - bit quirky!); I say "drop it" and she drops it , then I have to throw it again.   I usually end up calling her Fido - she doesn't seem to mind!

Admittedly, we're in a double flat which I partly chose because I thought the stairs would give her some exercise; and I have to take her outside on a (shock-horror!) cat lead, but I do think it's all rather gone to her head!

D.

Taz2

Re: A cat that plays "fetch"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

Two of mine have done this dulciana. I used to find it really funny. One of them also used to steal things from neighbours houses though such as socks, underwear, tea towels - a perfume bottle top was a favourite which he carried around for weeks. Here's another "fetch" cat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ih9BnYFjVA

Taz x

bramble

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

All of my cats at some times in their lives have played fetch. Normally it is the youngest that does it. My kitten is currently the fetch cat. Gives me an excuse to eat even more wrapped chocolate biscuits as she is desperate for the wrapper.

Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »

Wish my dog would play fetch. She runs after whatever you throw for her and then runs away  ;D

She is so well trained  ::)

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »

We had a quarter-bred Siamese who played fetch better than our spaniel  ;D.  The cat loved shallot onions in the skins because there was a 'tail'.  DH grew a whole row for the cat  ::) ........ once the skins were off the cat would fetch a new one from the veg. rack.  He loved to play with garlic too.  If the onion finished up under the bed the cat would lay there for ages, until I went to find him; I had a bamboo pole by the bed for the sole purpose of fetching his toys out (honestly  :P).    Ping pong balls, up and down the stairs ............ oh and the plug from the bath, it was hunt-the-plug every night for years before I could put hot water in  :D  ..........

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

;D  Cats are exasperating but don't we love them!

Mudster

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »

I had a cat that was half siamese, she used to sit on the window sill and growl at the window cleaner because he was in her garden!  And she used to fetch little crumpled bits of silver foil (like from chocolate bars)  She would drop it in front of you for you to throw for her again..  ;D

She didn't like my ex brother in law either and would sit and stare at him and make him really nervous, especially when she jumped on the chair arm he was sat on and actually growled at him!!  I had to move her when he came round..  She obviously had good taste though cause he was a bit of a waster and my sister finally divorced him! 

I loved that cat, just like a siamese she was very 'chatty and was very vocal!  :)

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »

Our cat is 16 and I've heard that old cats get very vocal.  Ours certainly does.  Our daughter left a pair of floppy slippers here after her last visit and one of these have become puss's "sadness toy", as our daughter calls it.  She picks it up in her mouth, usually when we've gone to bed, and starts miaowing, pitifully at first and then sounding crosser and crosser.  (Miaow! MiaoW! MiaOW! MiAOW! MIAOW! MIAOW!   Which is probably cat for "How dare you go to bed!")   I feel guilty, get out of my lovely comfy bed, trot downstairs and give her whatever she wants.  She wins again!   Familiar story, anyone?
 :sigh:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »

;D  yep.  Sometimes cats become deaf so their voices become louder, certainly the case for our little lady as she aged.  My Siamese would lift up my eyelids when he wanted feeding in the night ........ does yours not sleep in the bed Dulciana?

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »

Don't think ours is deaf, CLKD - from the way she starts off gently and gradually gets more and more insistent, it sounds as though she's getting more and more annoyed that we've left her on her own-y-o!   I would have her sleeping on our bed but she's got an arthritic front leg and our bed's too high for her to jump down without hurting herself. 
 :cat88:

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »

There are pet steps with carpet if that would help  ;) ……. she would probably jump over it though  ::)

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »

Hmmmm..........!!  Thanks CLKD - I'll look into that.
D.