Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: phantom periods  (Read 4143 times)

donnarob

phantom periods
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »

Hi Girls,

I remember the same time last month, (full moon) and I had draggy vaginal cramps, just like a period was about to start.  At the same time, I had swollen, achy, heavy breasts.  I did a breast exam and wish I hadn't as all I could feel was lumps!  My imagination started to run wild and I decided to take myself off the the doctor.

She took my bp, (too high) although I was feeling really anxious when there.  She suggested I come in next week to get fitted for a blood pressure monitor which will record my bp over a 24 hour period.  Anyone had one of these?

I am currently taking one Vitamin E capsule 350mg daily and she has also suggested that I take Oil of Evening Primrose.

She has organised for a mammogram, smear test with gynae and bloods have been taken.  Feels like a MOT. 

To add to the conundrum, I also was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2, three years ago but it is very much under control and I am on diet and exercise regime only.

I really don't want to take statins if at all possible.  Do you think bp goes up as you progress through menopause.  My last period was July 2012 so I am about 17 months into it.

I live in Norway and find things are done a bit differently here.

It would be good to hear your thoughts as the poor woman paled when I came in with a list and still forgot to mention things, brain fog being a constant reminder of meno!  Duh!

Donnarob.

Taz2

Re: phantom periods
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

Hi Donnarob - although it feels like an MOT it is really good that you are going to have all of these done. I'm not so sure that things are done differently in Norway but they may be done a bit quicker than here!

I've had the blood pressure monitor for 24 hours and then another one for four days. The overall result was that I didn't have blood pressure high enough to treat so hopefully this will be the case for you too. You don't take statins for high blood pressure normally  - they are used to lower cholesterol. If you find that you do have high blood pressure there are things you can do to lower it before resorting to medication. You  may find suitable info here http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou?gclid=CPC138-39roCFa3KtAodXnYA6A  It's worth really exploring the site.  I think that BP can go up with age rather than just with menopause. Well done in controlling the your type 2.

Taz x