Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: hellooo  (Read 2286 times)

devonhil

hellooo
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »

Hello,

I'm new to the board and have found this forum a real life-saver. It's made me realise I'm not going mad!

I'm 47 and have been perimenopausal for around 4 years but it's recently got really bad. I did a menopause test and I have raised FSH so am assuming I'm in full-blown menopause now (no periods for nearly 3 months).

I've been lucky up to now as I have not suffered from PMS or any other issues before and am really struggling with hot flushes and unbelievable mood swings. I'm normally very calm but I have been shouted and screaming at my family lately (maybe lack of sleep from night sweats?). Feeling very tearful too which, again, isn't like me.

I would like to try BHRT and am going to try and persuade my doctor to put me on bioidentical oestrogen and progesterone - oestragel and utragestan. I'm also open to the idea of improving my diet to get more phytoestrogens and boost hormone levels that way.

Would love to hear from anyone who's using bioidenticals and/or diet and nutritional supplements and how they're getting on

devonhil x

Kathleen

Re: hellooo
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »

Hello devonhil and welcome to the forum.
Just wanted to say that I sympathise with what you are going through and although I can't advise on HRT I'm sure an expert will be along shortly.
Take care and keep posting.
K.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »

Hi devonhil

:welcomemm:

I remember the feeling tearful times well - it's hard to know where it comes from sometimes isn't it?

Apart from a brief start with patches containing a synthetic progestogen, I have used bio-identical HRT for 6 1/2 years - I use Estradot patches and Utrogestan and I find this works fine for me (I am now 60).

I started off in peri-menopause taking Black Cohosh but as most women find - eventually it doesn't work and anyway is not recommended for long term use. I also started to include lots more phyto-oestrogen containing foods in my diet - especially various kinds of seeds etc but I'm not so good at this now although do still have the seeds on my muesli when I remember.

I make sure I eat a very healthy diet - which is low fat, with very few processed foods - ie cook from fresh ingredients, lots of fruit and vegetables every day and at almost every meal, and quite a lot of fish, yogurt and pulses. I take pure cod liver oil (the original one, without anything added) when I remember, and now and again a herbal iron tonic, a calcium with vit D tablet and occasionally Vit C if I feel I'm going down with something - but mostly I make sure I get what I need from my diet, as you are wanting to do.

Following a recommendation I bought the book ( on offer!) "The Medicinal Chef" - Eat your way to better health by Dale Pinnock - but haven't started using it yet (going to get my husband to wrap it up for me for Christmas!  ;D).

I've increased the amount of exercise I take, reduced the amount of alcohol I drink, and make sure I keep my weight within healthy BMI range, and I don't smoke. I don't think I can do any more - and most of the time I feel well (although more tired than I used to) and rarely get bugs etc - fingers crossed re good health continuing but sometimes these things are unpredictable.

At your age you should take HRT anyway to protect your bones and other health benefits - at least until the natural average age of menopause, which is now 51.

I hope this helps and that you decide and are able to take some of these vital steps to maintain good health during the years to come!

Hurdity x

andius

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »

D:   WELCOME!!!! What you are going through is normal for this stage of life so don't worry. I use an estrogen patch and take micronized progesterone daily continuously, not the sequential way and it keeps the hot flashes, insomnia, tearfulness, etc away.  I'm 57 and still struggle with vaginal atrophy. I try to eat more vegetables and salads than before menopause....also taking vit D with calcium.  I recently stopped taking my multivitamin because I think it was contributing to acidic urine which was aggravating my VA.  I may try to get some plain B vitamins to take though. I already take separate B 12 as I am known to be low in this.  My energy levels and mental focus is back to premenopause.....I just wish I could have some sustained relief from VA....  :(, but I am working on that.

Hey Hurdity............what are pulses????

Andius