Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mirena removal  (Read 12757 times)

dulciana

Mirena removal
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

I had the Mirena coil fitted 3 and a half years ago, when I was 51, because of heavy periods.  It stopped the periods and since then I haven't had another one.  What I'm beginning to wonder is, in the summer of 2015, I'm due to have the coil removed, but what's the likelihood of my periods starting up again then in the absence of the coil, when I'll be 56?  They were stopped artificially, so I've no idea when they would have stopped if I hadn't had the Mirena fitted.  I don't know what to expect.
Any thoughts?
Dulciana

Taz2

Re: Mirena removal
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »

I don't think you will know until you try it! At 56 your natural cycle will probably have finished although there are members on here who are still experiencing periods at that age.

Taz x

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »

I know, you're right, Taz.  I just had one of those "Mmm......." moments that made me wonder/cross my fingers/hope I don't go back to square one.  : :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »

:bighug:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:28 PM »

Hi dulciana
I wouldn't worry about 2015 just yet - If you do have problems, you could just have another Mirena fitted.
I'm having my Mirena out soon because it is at the end of it's life.  I've been using Oestrogel for the oestrogen part as I had the Mirena as part of HRT treatment.
I emailed Dr. Currie for advice and she recommended I have another Mirena fitted if my flushes etc returned.
I'm using Vagifem (local vaginal pessary) for problems with  atrophy and burning urethra and if my general meno symptoms aren't too bad I may just stick with this - time will tell.
I know I am post meno because I had a break from HRT in my early 50s.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 11:28:11 PM »

Hi dulciana

Just to add that if you are on HRT or go on HRT, you will probably need to be thinking about this before 2015 - probably next summer, as the Mirena is only licensed for the progestogen part of HRT for 4 years not 5. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

If you are 55 you may possibly still have periods. I went onto HRT at just before age 54 and I had had a period a few months earlier. As Taz says there are members on here with a natural cycle at this age. I think it's something like 80% of women have finished by age 54 - might have got that statistic wrong and could be more - whatever it is, there will be a small percentage who go on for longer but you would be unlucky to be one of these.

Hurdity x

dulciana

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

Thanks Taz2, Dancinggirl and Hurdity.  That's very helpful.  I'm probably worrying about not much.  I can't go on to HRT because of my family health history but I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll have all settled down anyway.

ann123

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »

I had mine removed last year, age 52, no period since getting my first at age 37. No period after getting it removed!!!!

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »

My friend had same feelings Dulciana. Had coil removed & has been fine since. No periods, no flushes, no sweats.

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »

Thanks everybody.   :thankyou:  I'm hopeful!

Maggies

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

I had a Mirena earlier this year removed ( was very wobbly thought hormonal etc)

Plan to have another put in Jan 17th ......at '50 how long can I use it for.....nurse said 3 years??? please not I need it until this Meno stuff is passed.......any ideas xxxx

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

Hi Maggies,
The mirena coil is licenced for 4 years in the UK as part of an HRT medication & 5 years as a contraceptive.
I had several fitted from the age of 41 - 56 & found them an excellent form of HRT (well & contraceptive)  ::)

I was offered to have another fitted this year but decided to give my body a rest from HRT to see how I would cope.....doh not good.
Cazikins x

Maggies

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »

Thanks Kazikins

Plan then to have for as long as I need it....don't need contraception as I had tubal ligation at C section 15 years ago....I will def hang on to the Mirena as long as I can as finding this meno stuff bit hard just now......give me sense back and a normal life ...after all I am only '50 and look '40 xxxxx lucky me xxxx

ann123

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »

I had the same issue when I had mine removed last year, age 52, and no worries no bleed. I had various mirena coils since I was 35 and have not had a period since.
I didn't worry about contraception when I had the last one removed, you don't hear of many pregnancies at that age!

ann123

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »

Oops, sorry I posted twice!!!
Pages: [1] 2