Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: St John's Wort  (Read 6882 times)

Mrs Bennet

St John's Wort
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »

Hi Ladies.  I have just come home from a visit to my GP, I have been suffering with anxiety which has given me IBS symptoms, along with panic  etc. she has suggested that I take St John's Wort as opposed to prescription meds. to see if it helps. Can anyone tell me if they have suffered any side effects with this ie. diarrhea ( really don't need that  :) ) all this is due to a lot of stress at the moment together with meno.

Thankyou Mrs B xxxx

oldsheep

Re: St John's Wort
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »

Hi, sorry you're feeling bad. I've never taken it for anxiety but a 3 day course worked well on neuralgia ( I get that often in my head) so it does work in some way on the brain. I've heard that people use it for depression.
No side effects when I took it.
I remember reading not to take it if you're on HRT so I don't take it these days. Can't remember why, or whether it's the oestrogen or progesterone it interferes with.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »

I do take it with HRT. I know it probably effects both but not to any great extent in my case although we are all different.

It has helped my horrible anxiety and as I can't take AD's then I am prepared to try anything.
I don't have stomach problems with it. I take it with my evening meal.

Honeyb
X

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »

Thankyou  :-* just taken my first tablet lets hope I feel better tomorrow!!!!  ;D  ;D xxxxxx

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »

It takes a couple of weeks at least. Hope they are the high strength ones.

Feel better soon.

Honeyb
X

Weejeannie

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »

Hi

I take it at winter time, always my worst time for anxiety and the blues.  I have always found it to work well, although this year I am confused by the dosage, I was sure I always took 900mg. I have the max strength Boots make and it says to take one 425mg per day. I am sure I had these last year and positive it was a higher does. Difficult to understand the dosage and cannot find any info online.
Usually it says 900mg max if 0.3% hypericum. Mine says 3.5-6:1 equivalent to 1490-2550mg of St John's Wort, totally confused, would appreciate if anyone else can decipher the contents of the tablets.

Sorry, back to the original post, I have not suffered any side effects at all, definitely lowered my anxiety levels and made me feel a lot happier, I should have started them weeks ago, ho hum !!

Good luck, they won't harm you, I am sure you will benefit.

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

MIND have information about side effects:

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/st-johns-wort/safety-and-side-effects/#.Up3FBScatqA

I took it for a while.  I had breakthrough bleeding (using oral contraceptives at the time) which the doctor could not explain (did not seem unduly worried either).  Research came out later about it interfering with some drugs.  There is information about this on the MIND site.

I can't remember any other side effects, and I stopped taking it as I forgot to buy some new stuff, and it did not seem to help.