Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New findings on causes of Fibromyalgia  (Read 2471 times)

Taz2

New findings on causes of Fibromyalgia
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »

Well I say "new" but I've only just read this report which came out in June - apologies if it's already common knowledge http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/06/19/skin-abnormality-may-prove-biological-basis-for-fibromyalgia/56233.html

Taz x  :)

rosie c

Re: New findings on causes of Fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

Thank you Taz... very interesting. x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »

I might print it off for one of my GP's. She doesn't believe in Fibro and made me feel a right moaning minnie when I mentioned it. She couldn't come up with an explanation though as to what it was I had/have. I see another doc now!

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »

thanks Taz.
The neurologist I saw for my weird sensory symptoms does believe in fibro but they do tend to treat it with a sledgehammer (SNRIs or pregabalin etc). Hopefully more research will mean better drugs with fewer side effects. It's encouraging that there's some funding for fibro research.
I'm tired though of being told that my fibro and CFS are 'anxiety based' (which neurologist also told me). I've always been wired but haven't always been exhausted and in pain!

I don't have especially painful hands - do you? Sensitive feet yes and hands and feet way too cold.
I'm wondering if something as simple as hand massage/reflexology might help.

rosie c

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »

Painful feet yes, but hands not too bad. Ive heard plenty of explainations for fibro. My doctor does believe it exists, but its'nt very forth coming with a management plan. A physio friend of my sister says its all to do with "fascia," ( the tension and anxiety that  builds up in the fascia can cause  all the body pain .)  This new research is very interesting.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »

I think it was the rheumatologist who explained that the pain is caused by the muscles always being held "ready". He mentioned that adrenaline didn't switch off so even when resting the muscles still felt they were working. Lactic acid came into it somewhere. It was around fifteen years ago I first got it after a proper bout of flu which just didn't go away.

Hands and feet hurt when I get a flare up together with the outside of my hips and the inside of my knees. My wrists get very sore and I get episodes of hot, burning patches on my back and on my left leg and foot - just like standing next to a radiator. This can also be an MS symptom but the MRI scan revealed only  minor changes. I was diagnosed with fibro but with possible benign MS. Benign meaning that it should stay the same. I tend to forget about the MS part until the left leg plays up.

I have been fairly free of it for a couple of years but I think that it has got a bit more active over the last couple of weeks. It was only the fact that this doctor I see now mentioned it when I said that I still felt tired after the kidney infection, stomach bug and tooth infection that she reminded me that it takes time to recover normally and with fibro even longer.

Taz x  :crutch: