Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Article on gut health.  (Read 7896 times)

Taz2

Article on gut health.
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »

Having had a month of antibiotics I find that my whole digestive system is not working at all well despite daily probiotic. I've got an appointment with the doc today to try to find out what I can do to get back on track. I've always had a tendency to IBS but this is different. Anyway, while looking around the various internet articles on IBS and gut problems I found this which I think is interesting http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/9197756/What-your-guts-telling-you-why-your-digestion-holds-the-key-to-your-health.html

Taz x

honeybun

Re: Article on gut health.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »

It's very interesting Taz. I always thought that for me having a bout of IBS made me feel down but perhaps it's the other way around.
If your digestion is not working properly then everything feels off.

It would be great if eventually more research gave us better answers.

What do you feel wrong Taz

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »

I was expecting things to be a bit upset after the antibiotics - I was fine while I was taking them - and then the stomach bug and for three weeks things weren't too bad but last weekend my whole system from throat to rectum felt inflamed somehow. I had horrible diarrhoea saturday evening for a couple of hours and since then it's just been very unpredictable. If I eat anything I feel so full as if I've eaten a three course meal even though it may be just a slice of toast.

Yesterday and today things were different in that it felt as if I was having a contraction - not the horrible pain - but some pain and so much pressure. In the loo I suddenly came over very nauseous and dizzy and broke out in a drenching cold sweat. The pressure was horrible. It took around fifteen minutes and I felt better once I'd had a bowel movement. It's as if my body just took over and was determined to expel whatever it needed to. I had this once a few years ago and mentioned it sort of in passing to the doc. She said something about the vagus nerve so I'm wondering if the whole system is just out of sorts somehow. It makes it very difficult to go anywhere as it's not just a case of finding a loo - it's difficult to cope with the pressure/pain feeling.

I've been on the IBS Network site and it does seem to be something that IBS sufferers can experience and they do tie it in with the vegus nerve but I'm not sure what, if any, treatment there is. I'm not looking forward to going back to work next week!!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »

Your gut sounds really out of sorts. I have had the cold sweats with IBS but only just ordinary stomach pain.
I hope the GP can give you something to help. If you are not right then don't go to work until you do. I am sure your GP will give you a sick line given what's been going on.

I hope you start to feel better soon. When is your appointment?

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »

Thanks Honeybun - it's at 4.40 so not long to wait. I can have seven days off anyway self certified but I hate having to do that. It's been boring enough staying at home this week. Will see what she says. I also have aches and pains especially in finger and toe joints and wrists and I feel sure that coming off HRT has probably quite a lot to do with that as sleep is always disrupted, as you know, and also I feel really low probably from the infections but also just because hormones have disappeared.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »

Let us know how you get on. She might be able to shed some light on what's happening.

Good luck.

Honeyb
X

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »

It sounds as if the antibiotics have sort of knocked you off kilter (is that a word). Maybe once they get out of your system completely you may get back to normal?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »

What a lovely doctor - even though she gives you time to talk which makes her usually an hour behind with her appointments! She thinks that it is the antibiotics which are causing the IBS to flare up and she said she knows exactly what I'm talking about as she too has suffered from the contraction type feel and the sweating and knows how painful and also embarrassing it can be as you have to sit in the loo for ages while it sort of works it's way through. She has given me Buscopan for the cramps and if it's not better by Tuesday she said to "Trot along to see me again" - great sense of humour.  ;D

I feel better than I did earlier. I have to cut as much dairy out as possible - just milk in tea and no yoghurt - and I also have to cut out as much sugar as possible.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »

You have my sympathy! I have IBS and know I need to avoid antibiotics. However, while camping around New Zealand, I was bitten by sand flies, which turned into cellulitus on my face. I felt awful, but refused antibiotics at first until it was explained I could lose my sight and get a brain infection, so I had no choice. The infection went very quickly, but the IBS went into over drive. When I got back I went back to the nutritionist for help. We found out that I had become intolerant to eggs and soya. The worst of the pain and diarrhoea disappeared as soon as I stopped eating them. After a year, I was able to reintroduce them back into my diet.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

Thanks Ju Ju. The funny thing was that while I was taking the antibiotics my IBS disappeared totally. I've been a month off them now which is what seemed strange as the first three weeks, although a little bit "urgent", were not too bad. This last week has been very uncomfortable and I have never had it affect the whole of the GI tract before. Maybe two things going on - a bit of lactose intolerance maybe?

I already have an intolerance of soya and eggs can make me sick.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 01:32:16 AM »

Difficult to tell and all too easy to blame it on what we eat. The nutritionist sent off a sample of my poo (lovely!) to a lab in the USA at great expense. Apparently my gut was full parasites, infections and candida. We successfully treated a lot of this only for new infections to develop. I got disheartened and retired from work early, so could no longer could afford the treatment. Also, I became convinced how I was emotionally was playing a huge part in my health issues. So for the last few years, I have sought and stumbled on help to deal with emotional issues.

My husband says that it is my job in life to cope as best as I can, to look after myself and that it is as it is. He is a lovely man.   

Trey

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »

After a course of IV antibiotics and ruptured appendix and peritonitis I carried around a bedpan in my car for over a year as I never knew when.......... I think the ABs destroy to good flora in the gut and it takes ages to get it back in balance.  Are you taking probiotics still?  Especially if no yogurt allowed! 

I hope things get better and soon, but seems the reaction to ABs can be long lasting.   Do you have Pepeto bismpl in UK?  It is very effective at smoothing out the gut and reducing the quick stops to the loo.

R4CT0M

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »

Thanks for that article Taz, really interesting :) mind you I was taking the probiotics they mention, Acidophillus and lactobacillus? *sp

couldn't understand why I was constantly bloated, windy and uncomfortable, but they do recommend them don't they, so I carried on for ages hoping they would help..
one day the penny dropped ::) and I stopped taking them ;)  Instant relief within a day, no more bloating etc
obviously they're not for everyone :-\

recently mentioned in another post about binning all my so called menopause remedies, well I binned these too, gone back to basics.....plenty of money in the bin in my house ;D

feel better though ;)  suppose it's trial and error for all of us..

Mony xx

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 10:50:57 AM »

That's interesting Mony. I did ask the GP about the capsules I've been taking and she said to break them open and sprinkle them onto my food as a lot of people get a reaction to the capsule itself. I had checked the capsule for soya.

The bowel feels better today - less crampy - but the stomach itself feels like it's got a brick sitting in it still. I think that it's a case of trying to sort out the bowel part before then tackling the actual stomach. A few months ago I said "Wish I could drop a few pounds" so that is definitely a case of be careful what you wish for - always put a proviso on the end to clarify what you mean!  ;D

Taz x

bev567901

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »

Interesting article. Do you think taking glutamine could be a good thing? My AD gives me daily D & now I am on amoxciliin too so double D  ;D ;D  I have to take immodium every day since starting the AD, going to mention it to the doc next time I go. Both common side effects but can't be good long term. My poor 8 yr old son hates toilet smells I feel so sorry for him. B x
Pages: [1] 2