Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Acid indigestion and heartburn  (Read 38917 times)

maggiemck1978

Acid indigestion and heartburn
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »

Anyone find this is a menopause related problem? Never suffered too much with it, maybe the odd bit of heartburn, until recently. I'm in the midst of raging peri menopause. Periods spaced out to 2 or 3 months, mood swings and now this!!
Heartburn attacks and acidy taste in my mouth. Wake up in morning with yucky taste too. Interested to know if this is something others have experienced and how they managed it. Thanks!

Sweetpea38

Re: Acid indigestion and heartburn
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

Hi

Yes, I get this, I think it is quite common, it is always best to get anything checked out as its all too easy to blame memo for stuff, but since meno I have had repeated bouts of heartburn, bloating & indigestion.  I take Omeprazole which helps, so have a chat with your Doc first but you are not alone!  :)

Lucky Stone

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »

Me too - never suffered with my insides before now  :-X I take Lansaprozole which is similar, the doc will probably do a GERD questionnaire with you which should indicate where the problem lies, you can also get something called Peptac which you can take alongside if you need to. Stress brings mine on something chronic.

maggiemck1978

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »

Thanks for replies. Good to share experiences. I realise shouldn't put everything down to the menopause but it does seem like it has quite a bit to answer for! ::)
I didn't have niggly things like this before. Also the mood swings are pretty horrible. Maybe stress contributes to the indigestion problem as you say...thanks v much anyway :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »

I ate my chish and phipps too fast this evening and am off to take a small mouse (rennies)  ::) ........ if I take my evening medication too late and lay down then heartburn swoops and I have to sit up to sleep until the small mouse takes effect  :-\

andius

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »

Yes, I had this in perimenopause.  The RX acid medicines made me nauseous.  My doctor then gave me Sufulcrate (sp) which is a pill that breaks up in the stomach and forms a coating and if you have reflux, it then protects the esophagus from the acid.  May work on the acid too, not sure.  The key is I had to take it a couple of hours before and after eating so the pill schedule is kind of difficult.  This went away after 6 months of daily bother with that feeling.  The pill saved me from carrying around a bottle of antacids.

A

andius

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:25 PM »

Sorry it is SUCRALFATE....brand name Carafate.  ;)

bev567901

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »

Yes me too I was given omneprazole (sp) recently, never had acid in my life maybe heartburn when pregnant but things like zantac etc where bought here for overeating husbands at Christmas. I stopped taking it though as I was on a lot of anti nausea drugs too for a few weeks & felt worse for all of them.  The doc said she thinks I will still benefit from the omneprazole but I told her I won't take it. My tongue actually turned brown, acid? Drugs?   B x

Js

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »

Hi I was getting indigestion and I don't normally get it but getting abdominal pains  too went to docs  thought it could be IBS so took bascopan and it did help then I got pains in stomach and went back to docs he had a feel round and sent me for an endoscope which is a tube down my throat you can have a throat spray or be sedated I chose the latter as I am not very good with things like that I can't even take tablets anyway it turns out I have a hiatus hernia didnt even know I had it so now just careful what I eat no spicy foods and nothing to eat 2 hours before bed
 Going back to docs to see how I have been and if he can give me anything for the bouts of burping and bloating . maybe has something to do with hormones I'm going to check that out next to see if I can come off hrt patches as I've been on it for about 3 years now as I feel a bit depressed on it anyway us women going through this crap must stick together

Is

moonbeam121167

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »

Hi all,  I too never suffered from acid up until peri-menopause and even after Hysterectomy I suffer badly, on Omperazole and Domperidone for nausea, it helps a little and as from Thursday just gone my GP has drop my Omperazole from 40mg to 20mg cause she felt it is was too higher dose to be on, I wish I could take something first as last to make it better but so far nothing, what us women have to put up with ::)

Forgetful

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

Hello Moonbeam

Was surprised to find that your doc wants to move you down from 40 mg of omeprazole to 20. I have recently been diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia also had gastritis at the time they did the endoscopy anyway my doc has me on 40mg omeprazole a day (20 mg in morning and 20mg in evening) and 600 mg ranitidine a day (300mg at lunch time and 300mg at bedtime) she said that the high dose will not do any harm and to keep taking it until it calms down? (If it ever does) I am trying to lose weight as they said that would help although I am not that heavy (I am five foot 6 and weigh 10 stone and my bmi is in the ok range) but all my fat is on my stomach. I can't do stomach exercises as I had too major surgerys , a hysterectomy and then an oopherectomey and endo removal and I have a trapped nerve in the surgical scar which flares up everytime I do stomach muscle exercises :o.

I have tried loads of pills for this acid reflux even nexium did not touch it. There is a surgery you can have but it does not have a really good success rate and I do not fancy having my stomach wrapped round my osophagus which is what they do.

Anyhow I have found adding the ranitidine helps a bit.  I get a lot of pain in my back in between my shoulder blades from the hiatus hernia. It is far worse than the hot flushes which I have learned to live with since having a surgical meno in 2007. You can get ranitidine ..brand name Zantac.. over the counter its cheaper in the supermarkets than at Boots for the branded one. Just thought that might help you to add that in as well. My doc said that omeprazole does not last a full 24 hours even though it is meant to.

Best wishes

Forgetful

moonbeam121167

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »

Hi Forgetful, I went back to the GP and she has kept me on 40mg and referred me to the hospital, I am  ok sort of on Omperazole 40mg but would like to know whats causing it, my Gp thinks its all done to the Menopause but I just want to check, thanks for your reply

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »

There are SO many threads on this that I have decided to add on here - has anyone read Dr James Le Fanu's article in the Telegraph today? about using 'rennies' or other OTC remedies rather than Omeprazole etc.?  Apparently the latter can cause HUGE problems due to what it's made of!   :o i.e. hydrochloric acid!!!

Halfpint

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

I always use Rennies. I like the orange flavour ones! They do the job for me. I don't like the taste or texture of Gaviscon.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »

I like 'spearmint'  ;) - fortunately I don't need to take it very often. >phew<
Pages: [1] 2