Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: where to put the vagifem?  (Read 38752 times)

Cazikins

Re: where to put the vagifem?
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »

We have had lots of chats on here about this Cazi. It came about because the American health authority insisted on the lowest dose possible of oestrogen being used. After that the company also decided to discontinue the 25mcg here also. It is still available in some countries but I believe it is up to each individual health organisation to decide which they will accept.

Some docs are prescribing enough to allow women to use double i.e. 2x10mcg twice a week so it's worth asking if you find they no longer have enough beneficial effect.

Taz

Thanks Taz  :-* :-*

I thought I had seen some talk about it, just lost track of it. Very interesting & I shall have to tell my GP that I shall be needing double dose.
Love Cazi xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »

Apparently it is Vagifem that is being dis-continued.   I never received a reply to my e-mail of 3 weeks ago from my Surgery so will be checking when I go to Lloyds Pharmacy ....... perhaps ladies you could also check?

scriv

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

Vagifem 25mcg is definitely discontinued in the UK.

Vagifem 10mcg is now prescribed instead.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:40:04 AM by scriv »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »

:thankyou:

andius

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

Anyone ever notice that they feel worse "down there" the day after vagifem?....i.e. more irritation?

Andius

Dancinggirl

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »

Yes andius.  I find the urethra is sore the day after - but I'm still finding the burning is still coming and going quite a bit .  I'm going to try the Ovestin cream around this area externally over  the next couple of weeks, as well as using Vagifem two times a week, to see if that gives relief.
DG x

Larney

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

Am still waiting for a reply re: "Ortho-Gynest UK discontinuance" :  to my e-mail from the Surgery  >:(

As this Forum is medic led, it would be helpful if Dr Curry or Emma would let us know if products are due to be altered or taken off the UK market.

I did see this somewhere online - it said that stocks should last till the end of Nov. I've just been googling, but can't find the page now. Grr. I've got a GP appt on tues to find out, but am going to carry on investigating...

scriv

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2013, 07:52:01 AM »

Nillers, you are right - I saw it too. You are not imagining things..... Was it on net.doctor or something similar?

I seem to remember it was a headline on a page about vaginal oestrogens, but there was nothing more about it in the text.

Morwenna

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

http://www.pjonline.com/discontinued_products

???

The information re Ortho-Gynest is listed under 28 September. It's interesting there's no reason given for their withdrawal - I wonder whether it will be available in different sized packs/alternative strength? There is a phone number supplied for 'Medical Information'. I have a GP appointment the week after next so I'll ask about it then...

Larney

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »

Thanks morwenna, I might print that to take to my GP appt on Tuesday.

Meadowblue

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »

In reply to Andius.  Yes I feel more irritated the day after using Vagifem and then it settles down with just occasional burning.  Very strange.

Rowan

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

Personally I think vagifem can be more potent then the lowest dose estrogen patch. The mucous membranes are a very good way of introducing hormones into the body and some women may absorb it systemically more then others.

Hurdity

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »

It is true that some women absorb more than others from all forms of HRT local and systemic, as we are all different. However I understand the main difference in the amount absorbed is due to the condition of the vaginal mucous membranes - which is why it is so important that those who only want to use topical/local oestrogen to follow the dosing instructions carefully, to minimnise systemic absorption.

As we have discussed on other threads, if a woman has VA and the vaginal tissues have thinned, then some systemic absorption occurs. After approx 2 weeks the tissues and cells have grown and systemic absorption, although it still occurs is said to be minimal, especially with the 10 mcg patch - although many have said this is not enough to keep symptoms at bay!

Morwenna - re Orthogynest pessaries: I've e-mailed the manufacturers and will post when I have a reply. I do hope it's not bad news for women....

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]