Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Meno and stroke  (Read 2332 times)

Mags 7101

Meno and stroke
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »

Can anyone help does anyone know if you can take HRT if there is a family history of stroke and heart disease

Joyce

Re: Meno and stroke
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »

I am. It was an informed choice. I'm on oestrogen only & have been for quite some time. I've been told the risks, but meno consultant says that as I was relatively young when I started it, the oestrogen will have helped protect my arteries as they were at that time. Of course no way of knowing what they were like at that point.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:42:24 AM »

Yes you can but it is not advised after the age of 60 and patches are safer than pills. The risk of stroke/DVT is highest in the first year of taking it - that's for everyone of course not just for those with a family history.

You may be able to get tested for the more common genes which cause stroke and DVT. I had a test which came back negative. My GP was happy to arrange this for me so it would be worth asking. It depends on how many members of the family have been affected and what relationship they are to you I think.

Taz

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »

Thanks for this info. I am going forward with a 3-6 month trial for HRT and Testosterone at age 59. My mum had a stroke at age 66, but I am convinced it was caused by her emotional state and behaviour after a series of bereavements. I am only going ahead as I feel crap all the time. I want quality of life.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Hi Juju

At your age I would definitely only start on patches or gel not pills (for oestrogen) - as Taz says they are safer, and especially if you start later.  Have you got the testo prescription through a private consultant?

Hurdity x

andius

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/estrogen-death-hysterectomy_b_3622710.html'show_comment_id=270875711

I think you will find this article informative.  I found it on the home page of menopause matters.

Read it and be happy about your decision for the HRT 3-6 mo trial.