Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Migraine again, sorry.  (Read 3644 times)

Sarai

Migraine again, sorry.
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »

I am along term migraine sufferer who experienced massive relief on being diagnosed with Antiphospholipid syndrome in 2004 and being put on warfarin.
However I am now suffering new different migraines like a very tight band around my head and the inability to think straight. due to warfarin I should not take ibuprofen which I have for years as it worked well but I now know I have been taking a huge risk due to bleeding risks.
But what on earth can I take, I am 51 and still peri I guess, so I am blaming bl**dy hormones.
I am wondering if a soya based supplement may help. Any ideas I am really struggling at the moment as I work from home and still have a stroppy teenager at home.

Joyce

Re: Migraine again, sorry.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »

I used to be given prescription meds for mine years ago. Had to take on daily basis to prevent them, but was left spaced out. Can't remember name of them though. Nowadays I manage with Migraleve for the odd time I need them.

bramble

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

I have had great success with homeopathic remedies for migraines. Worth a try?

Bramble

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »

Sarai I think this is beyond the scope of us advising you.

Have you asked at your Warfain Clinic for advice alsoI think you should ask your Doctor.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anticoagulants-warfarin-/Pages/Interactions---other-medicines.aspx  you probably know all this already.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12452752 Effect of soy when on Warfarin.

Really think you should speak to your doctor

Smokey

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »

Hi Sari,

I had the tight band feeling around the head, just like when you tie your hair up all day and then take it down.

I was told by my neurologist that it was tension headaches due to menopause and was prescribed Nortriptyline which also treats nerve damage.

How your Tinitus? Have you got anything sorted yet?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »

I wouldn't have thought that this was a migraine headache Sari but more as Smokey has described. The tight band feeling can also be caused by wear and tear in the neck - strange though that may seem!

Taz x

Sarai

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »

Silverlady I don't gave a warfarin clinic as I self test and self medicate as I was told not to return 9 years ago after buying a testing machine on the advice of my London consultant.
To be honest all my GPs have known and agreed me to taking ibuprofen I fact continue to prescribe it. I am just getting a bit worried in case my luck runs out.

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »

Smokey how many years did you suffer with them. Mine started this year.
Thank you for remembering my tinnitus, right now it is a lot quieter ( though I am afraid to admit it in case it's a jinx). The tinnitus therapists swear it never alters volume but I disagree as mine is always louder as the day goes on and almost silent when I wake. As it is now I can cope, long may it continue.

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

Taz you could be right, my neck is shocking and often I feel a correlation between how painful my neck us and the pain in my head.
I was told about 6 years ago I was borderline for osteoporosis but not been tested since.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »

You might have got some wear and tear in the neck vertebrae and this is often made much better by a course of physio. I have a six week NHS course of treatments once a year to keep mine ok and it really does help. http://www.patient.co.uk/health/cervical-spondylosis

If it's a tension type of headache then you might find this useful http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Headaches-Tension-Type.htm

I hope you get some relief soon.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »

Sarai I have not heard of self medicating and testing Warfarin and I think it would scare me if OH was allowed to, but I did find this

https://healthunlocked.com/hughes-syndrome/questions/139839/are-you-self-managing-warfarin

OH had pacemaker and has AF and maybe that is different, he is not allowed Ibuprofen or aspirin, that's why I was concerned about you taking it.

If your GPs and Consultant have continued to prescribe it, then maybe it is OK for you to take it for your migraine but it still leaves me uneasy.

I have a couple of books on Warfarin and neither of them OK blood thinning drugs with Warfarin.

What ever is causing your new type of migraine I would seek medial advice.

Warfarin isn't exactly a pleasant drug to take.

Hope your luck holds.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:45:11 PM by silverlady »

Smokey

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »

Sarai

I originally didn't suffer with migraines, I think I've only had one a few years back that I can remember, but as soon as I went into meno I had lots of problems as well as ms being diagnosed at the same time, it started with a heavy feeling at the back of my head it felt like my neck wasn't strong enough to hold it up , it was very scary I made an appointment with my neurologist who said it was due the menopause, I then had light problem that's supermarket lights everything seemed so much brighter and made me feel spaced out, then then panic attacks and doom feelings and all sorts of weired feelings and then the tight feelings around my head so back to nuro and he said it was a classic case of silent migraine and tension heads caused yet again but menopause.

The Nortriptyline worked very well at low dose I think I started At 30mg and then increased 10mg a day to 50mg .

The tension heads went very quickly.
But I was still getting meno symptoms bad anexiety so went on HRT which was so effective and everything else went too.