Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just need to vent.  (Read 9692 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Just need to vent.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »

Siblings!

My brother-in-law has always been hostile towards me from the day I started going out with my husband and also to my daughter. He would 'blank' me even in our home. If he actually spoke to me, it was clear to everyone that it was a great effort for him to talk to someone so not worth bothering with. And no, I have not done anything to provoke him, just been too nice. He stormed out of our house into the sunset one day, never to return, because I politely asked him if he would mind removing his muddy shoes. He won't phone the house in case I answer. He demanded that I not go to their father's funeral, with whom I had a lovely relationship. My mum-in-law used to apologise for his behaviour. The only communication my husband has with him is by email. My husband now feels relief. He no longer has to 'step on broken glass'. Oh one of the criticisms of me is that I was not welcoming and that I did not have even my sister to stay. Seeing she died several years ago this would be rather difficult.

Sorry having a vent on your post, but there is a point. I think we colluded with his bad behaviour. We were too nice. We should have said we love you, but that is abusive behaviour. We want to enjoy your company, but cannot if you do not respect us.

And know you can't change or fix people. You can only change your behaviour. When people treat you badly it is not about you. It is about the 'bad place' they are operating from. I recently read about paranoid personality disorder. We decided they used my brother-in-law as a role model!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »

:thankyou:  for your useful post!

Elena

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »

Grrrrr, I would like to learn to be a tortoise too please.

Well done HB for standing up to your sister.

Families eh?   :(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

Grrrrr, I would like to learn to be a tortoise too please.

Well done HB for standing up to your sister.

Families eh?   :(

You could try getting a copy of the Mindfulness book by Professor Mark Williams which I recommended some time ago.  I dip in and out of it and it certainly helps me - along with my yoga. 

I used to allow myself to get really hot under the collar about my horrible brother and his wife who ignore me in front of poor old Mum.  They also never have her over their house, never take her anywhere or do anything for her yet she thinks they're wonderful.  ::)I would go home and have a cry and feel wretched for days and think about it 24/7. 

I am now able to recognise negative, damaging thoughts and then watch them evaporate.  It is very liberating and I feel so much better for not carrying all this horrible, negative stuff around in my head. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »

I did and that's what has caused the problem. You are not allowed to disagree with my sister. She is the one who is always right.  ::)

I am having a week off next week. Well four days to be exact. She did not bother to ask me my plans so does not know what I intend to do or when I will be there. It's hopeless trying to tell mum because she does not retain anything now.
I will write it in mum's little note book and it will be a nice surprise for her.

Really can't be bothered with her self centeredness anymore.

Honeyb
X

Well done Honeyb and have a lovely few days away. :)

My Mum is a bit forgetful too so for the last few months I have been writing things on her calendar which hangs by her phone.  Like when she's having her hair done, when she's at mine for the weekend, when I'm going on holiday etc. 

A while back I had to go somewhere one Saturday so instead of coming to me for Sat & Sun, I suggested she come to me Sun and Mon and I'd take her home on the Mon night after we'd had a day out on the Mon.  Well you'd have thought she'd been abducted by aliens .... she says the fuss my brothers made because they said she didn't tell them and she wasn't home on Sun night.   I said "yeah right, they were so worried that they couldn't even pick up a phone and check if you were  here."   ;D ;D  That would have meant speaking to the She-Devil herself.  ;D ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »

::)
Pages: 1 [2]