Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: urine infection or not?  (Read 3555 times)

rosie c

urine infection or not?
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »

After going to drs  last week with urine sample thinking something was brewing ( constantly going to loo, pressure, smelly wee,  tingly feeling ) ...... yes, you have a urine infection, and just finishing course of anti biotics.. the receptionist tells me this week, that the sample they sent to lab had no significant growth. Well the dr dip tested the sample... so if there was no significant growth at the lab, what did he see? sorry to sound stupid.. just dont want to be taking these anti biotics again if no need.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: urine infection or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »

The Lab will have 'grown' the urine sample to see if any cultures are present.  If not then you are more likely, given that you are of menopausal age, to have vaginal atrophy.  A urine sample dipped or otherwise is often the way GPs treat ladies in early menopause  ::) ......... you need to talk to him/her or the Practice Nurse about VA and ask for treatment  ;).  It is usually a 2 week course followed by twice weekly.

rosie c

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »

Thanks CLKD. just off to make appointment. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  You may have to push for treatment 'cos many GPs believe that urine infections are not a pre-cursor to vaginal atrophy.   SuziQ's thread might be worth reading  ;)

rosie c

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »

Many Thanks CLKD. :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »

Hi rosie

I agree you have to push for treatment for VA but "smelly wee" is more likely to indicate something wrong other than VA or in addition to it. Could you ask what the doc found when s/he tested your urine?

Also no significant growth doesn't mean there wasn't any - perhaps you are more sensitive to a mild infection due to VA?

Is there a female GP you can go to to ask to confirm VA - although most of us do go on symptoms ie dryness, itching, pain during sex, sore external area etc as well as bladder frequency and pelvic pressure. How far into menopause are you re periods and have you taken any HRT?

If you treat VA then you are less likely to develop urine infections .

Hurdity x

rosie c

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »

Hi Hurdity... I am in peri. Still as regular as clockwork with the periods, but struggle with hot flushes, heavy periods, fibroids, weight gain, low mood, aches and pains ( diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.) reflux,.... I could go on. tried Hrt fem seven patches but gave up last december as wasnt really feeling any different, and the patches coming off all the time, drove me mad. Have thought about asking for oestrogen gel + progesterone tablets recently, as struggling to cope. This is the second urinary infection in as many months. No soreness, no dryness, just frequency and pressure and smelly wee. ??? just threw me when she said no significant growth, yet the dr gave me these anti biotics, and boy did they make me rough. Didnt have time today to make  an appointment, but I think i will go back to drs and clarify things, and ask about hrt at the same time. thanks for your comments x