Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Frightening experience in Spain  (Read 3612 times)

ariadne

Frightening experience in Spain
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »

While we were on holiday in Spain, my husband had a severe allergic reaction to something -at first we thought plants or an insect bite as he had been gardening with our friends who own the villa, but later we thought it could be penicillin.

My friend and I had gone out into town when she got a call from her husband to say come back quickly as my husband was feeling ill. When we got back he was lying on the bathroom floor, scarlet all over, feeling sick, shaking violently, dizzy and with stomach pain. We thought he was having a heart attack but he said he knew he wasn't.

My friend called 112 but the recorded message was in Spanish. We called an English friend we have out there and he said he would try to get someone who spoke Spanish to meet us at the local medical centre. My husband had to be helped into the centre by wheelchair but they wouldn't do anything until I had produced his EHIC card.

Because at the time we thought it was a reaction to plant or insect, that's what he was treated for and he was put on 2 drips and given a total of 4 injections over an hour but because there wasn't much improvement, an ambulance was called to take us to the nearest hospital.

To cut a long story short, the allergic reaction went away and he was released from hospital with instructions to go to our GP when we got home and get tested to try and find out the trigger as the doctor stressed that it was very dangerous and that next time would be worse.

When we got back to the villa, my husband said he needed to check something and then said that he had taken a penicillin tablet instead of his acid reflux tablet that morning. He had had dental work before our holiday and the dentist had given him penicillin in case of infection. He has taken penicillin before with no problems but I know allergies can start at any time.

So we are going to visit GP as instructed and see if he can have some tests. The experience was very frightening and we all realised how hard it is to get help in a foreign country when you don't speak the language or have the number for doctors and hospital. Our friends were equally alarmed- they don't even take their EHIC cards with them on holiday!

So ladies, when abroad make sure you carry your EHIC card with you when you go out and about and put the phone number for local doctor and hospital in your phone. Find out where nearest medical centre and hospital are too.

I was frightened my husband was going to die and all manner of thoughts about how I would cope went racing through my mind. Thank god he's OK.

I told you we always have a disaster when we go to spain ::)

Ariadne xx

honeybun

Re: Frightening experience in Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »

Ariadne, that sounds so frightening. I hope you have that appointment booked already.
Trying to deal with an medical emergency is bad enough when you are at home but in a foreign country it must have been a nightmare.
I am glad he is ok but try and get to the bottom of it.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »

That sounds quite an ordeal Ann and I'm glad your husband was ok in the end.

I am not sure it would be an allergy to pencillin as this usually causes rashes and swelling rather than stomach pain. Maybe he picked up a bug. Did he vomit or have diarrhoea at all?

Taz x  :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »

Ariadne, crikey what a scare!  Glad to hear he is fine now, but hope he can find out the cause as you don't want that happening again.  I react badly to antibiotics nowadays amoyxicillin, erythromicin to name but two. Stomach often in agony with bloody diarrhoea. Sorry if TMI. Different people react differently.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:31 AM »

Sounds horrible CG - poor you - although diarrhoea is not seen as an allergy to antibiotics but is horrible nonetheless. Bloody diarrhoea though does need mentioning as this is not a normal reaction. Have you mentioned this to the doc? I am waiting with interest (?) to see what my course of Ciprofloaxcin does as I had it for campylobacter a few years ago with no problems but it is always the second time of using an antibiotic which sets up the rashes. I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't get added to the long list of ones I can't have.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

Ariadne, I really know hoe you must have felt, due to my recent experience with OH, but in a foreign country, beyond terrifying. I still get flash backs!

You must get to the bottom of this, what it was and why it happened.

I had an frightening reaction to  amoyxicillin, it caused me to have the worst headache I had ever had in my life, I have made sure it is in my Notes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »

Amoxycillin is usually given when a pateint is allergic to penicillin.  Apparently I am allergic to the latter - I think it's my sister whohas the problem  ::) ............

How awful for you all  :foryou:

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »

Well I've told GP Taz, whether they've noted it ........ I have my doubts. They do have note of one, as I broke out in hives with it.  Used to be fine. Lots of horrid antibiotics when I had pneumonia and BANG! Haven't been able to tolerate anything since. So bad last time they thought I'd developed C Diff!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »

C.Dif - such a horrible bug - wish we could get rid of it!

Rashes and hives are the important thing to tell GP about as this notes that your body has logged it and the next time you have it the whole immune system goes into overdrive to fight it off.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »

Anaphaylactic shock

ariadne

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »

I've had a look and it was Amoxycillin he took. I don't know what to think then Taz if it wasn't an allergic reaction to the tablet. It seemed unlikely that a plant or insect bite could be the cause as there was no area on his body that looked like the site of a bite or sting.

He did feel sick and have diarrhoea but why would a stomach bug cause him to be scarlet all over and his blood pressure to drop drastically. He was also shaking quite violently all over. The whole episode was over in 6 hours.

I hope the GP can help us find out what it was  :-\

ariadne xx

leony

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »

That must have been awful for you and your OH I know you can develop allergies at any age my son developed an allergy at the age of 3 to penicillin now 33 and never goes to the GP last time he went the GP asked who he was and said I haven't seen you in 10 years said he hates sitting in a room with a load of sick people god knows what he would be like if he had to go into hospital. Its now all over his notes and he has 1 of those medical discs that states he is allergic.