Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes  (Read 13726 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Digestive Enzymes
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »

I took digestive enzymes a few years ago following the advice of a nutritionist. Apparently I had 'leaky gut syndrome', meaning I couldn't break down the nutrients of food efficiently, as I had insufficient enzymes in my gut. At the time I couldn't keep the weight on. Now I can.....very efficiently...... middle age spread! I would take advice, as the enzymes were just part of the dietary support I needed. 

English Rose

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »

Hi Ju Ju
Thank you for the information. How did you manage to get your "leaky gut" diagnosis and did the enzymes help? Sounds like you're not taking them now.
I'm currently reading a book on the subject by a US nutrition expert (Susan Lark) who advocates healthy eating too with lots of fruit and vegetables.
I've had lots of tests which show nothing amiss and diagnosis always comes back to IBS; and I'm not losing weight (also middle aged spread I'm afraid!), but I'm very interested by this theory about enzymes - makes sense that as we age our digestive system is less able to break down foods efficiently.
All the best, ER.

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »

I saw a very good nutritionist, but it was expensive. My poo was sent off to a lab in the USA for analysis! I had various infections and parasites. All very nasty, but with treatment, they were cleared only to be replaced with new ones.

When I stopped working, I could no longer afford to carry on with this treatment and I wasn't feeling any better, so I felt disheartened. Bear in mind I have had IBS symptoms since childhood and I felt something else was going on.

I have since sought help from a therapist and did a course with a life coach, which have been very beneficial, even if I still have IBS symptoms. IBS along with other illnesses have an emotional and environmental background. Symptoms are very real.... says I after a long session in the loo!

I think seeking help from a nutritionist can be very helpful, but not without looking at emotional issues as well. When planning meals, I was advised to start with the veg, protein next and last carbs. Eat smaller portions, but more often. Never eat a meal without protein. Avoid processed food as far as possible and cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners which are worse.

Right I'm off to follow my own advice and lose my unwanted weight......after finishing the naughty things in my cupboard!  :-\   

English Rose

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »

Hi JuJu
Thanks....so the enzymes didn't help your IBS then? (if I understood you correctly).

I have heard of food combining...talks about that in the book I'm reading. Re emotions: I think my IBS can be triggered by tiredness / work stress but not always....sometimes just happens for no apparent reason.

IBS is more prevalent in affluent western countries apparently - something to do with our rich often unhealthy diet and use of processed foods.

All the best, ER x

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »

I'm not sure how helpful the digestive enzymes were. They were part of a variety of treatments. I believe they are helpful for other people. I think my IBS is part of a bigger picture. I was seeking a medical solution and wasn't prepared to look at the emotional background. I would like to go back to the nutritionist I saw at some future date.

I believe IBS set in after gastric enteritis at a time of trauma. Apparently, this isn't unusual. I didn't realise that other people didn't have to cope with what I was experiencing. Only recently have I talked about it, only to realise how common it has become. I had a healthy diet as a child, post war, cooked from scratch. I suspect, like asthma, it has always been about, but far more prevalent due to diet, environmental issues eg pollution, pesticides.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »

I think my IBS developed through an over use of PPIs. Long term use can cause bowel problems. It was exacerbated by meno.
I always had bowel problems when I had a period.

I got good advice and alternative therapies from Jan de Vries who is local to me. He is well respected and is excellent. Through his medicine and HRT I have gone from a limited diet to one where I can eat most things. I have blips and have to resort to main stream remedies but usually get it back under control. I had the D type IBS and it ruled my life. Things are much better now.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

Honeybun, (love the name!)

I'd be interested in what alternative therapies you tried. I'm still on a limited diet, although it has eased up a bit.
Ju Ju

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

The remedies I take are herbal from A Vogel.

I take Centaurium before a meal. This stimulates the digestive process.
Also Tormentil if I have the horrid washing machine sounding stomach and or the runs.
Also Iberogast for upset stomach and nausea.
I also take a pro biotic every day.
Tormentil is also an anti spasmodic which can help with pain.

It's not a quick fix. I think it took me about six weeks or so to feel the full benefit.
The alternative practitioner that I use also has a help line with great staff who can advise you and also sell you products.

Hope this helps.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »

Thanks. I have heard of A Vogel and will look into it when I can afford to. I am seeing a therapist and have Body Stress Release as well, but this adds up financially. I think what I am doing at the moment is helpful and will make me more receptive.

I hope English Rose or the regal ER isn't put off digestive enzymes, as used with other supplements such as probiotics.  I think the symptoms vary from person to person and is diagnosed by elimination of other conditions. I joined the Gut Trust (I think they changed their name since) a few years ago. They have plenty of useful information and advice.

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »

The supplements are not that expensive. Usually between eight or nine pounds and they last for months. I have a Google to see who has the best deals on and order accordingly. It's trial and error with stomach things and we are all different. I used to have such a strong stomach. I could eat anything and everything until my third pregnancy and had such bad heartburn my stomach never really recovered. I was then given increasingly stronger medication until my stomach forgot how to work for itself. It was a case of retraining.

Hope what you are doing now works for you.

Honeyb
X

Winterose

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »

Er.

My friend who takes these is only 25 and just started a month ago , will update you when I see her, know she doesnt take them all the time  but maybe one could ?

English Rose

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »

Hello all
Honeyb - I agree with you about PPI's. I tried them for a short while and they made me feel yuk.  At the end of the day they prevent your body from making digestive juices/ acids needed for digestion of foods so this feels counter-intuitive for me. I've had IBS since my twenties.

No I'm not put off digestive enzymes Ju Ju, I started taking them a few days ago before meals (found some good chewable ones mixed with a probiotic) and so far, so good. Much less indigestion up to now anyway. I have read lots of reviews on the internet........majority seem very positive. I will check out the Gut Trust too (now known as the IBS Network it seems; lots of helpful info on their website about IBS in general).

Winterose - thanks for the update on your friend, I am glad she has found something to help. I think you can take them up to 3 times a day with meals but I guess it's trial and error as to how much/little an individual needs to take.

Best wishes, ER x (NOT the royal one, ha, ha  ;) )
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:59:38 PM by English Rose »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

I didn't think that an apology was required  :sigh: (sorry I spoke) - this is after all, a discussion Forum  :-\

rosie c

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »

I can see you were only trying to help clkd, but i think English rose meant that she didnt need  or want personal advice, re going to drs etc.. she just wanted  specific info, comments, advice on the enzyme question...  x

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »

It's easy for a post to be misconstrued. Now we know that English Rose had already consulted a doctor but from the original post this was not clear.

IBS Network link for anyone who needs more advice/info http://www.theibsnetwork.org/

Taz
Pages: 1 [2]