Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Upper Urinary Tract Infection  (Read 41510 times)

Limpy

Re: Upper Urinary Tract Infection
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

When I kept getting UTIs Nitrofurantoin was the one identified as the best for the job. It has never worked for me. As for Trimethoprim - hah - that's even more useless. The thing that worked for me was Co-amoxiclav, that lasted 14 years.
However UTIs started again in 2011, I tried Nitrofurantoin for about 2 years, it would work after 2 days then infection would come back after 2 months. Eventually spoke to a sensible GP about getting co-amoxiclav again,  he said that it was one of the antibs that had been identified as a match, so gave me some. This was 7 months ago, so far so good, peeing is pain free.
Doesn't take much to make me happy   ;D

Note to self - must get some acidopholos tabs

Taz how are you now?

Taz2

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »

Hi Limpy - this bug is resistant to co-amoxiclav  :(

I'm still really tired and look "dreadful" - thanks neighbour! I am much better than I was last week though. Still not had any pain while peeing just an uncomfy feeling like you get just before your get cystitis.

I'm hoping to go into work tomorrow morning on the understanding that I will come home again if I find it too difficult. Feel a right wimp!!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »

Not a wimp Taz just human.

I think you should be staying at home. School will be there when your not.
In the meantime get the slap on before you scare the kids  ;)

I hope you feel much better in the morning .....take care of yourself.

:foryou:

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

Like Honeybun says, school will still be there. No point pushing yourself if you're still not 100%.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »

If you have a bug then your immune system is low, leaving you open to other infections  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »

Taz - If/when you feel duff come straight home - take care

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »

How are you this morning?  The drizzle is enough to damper anyone's spirits  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

How did you get on Taz? I agree I'm sure you shouldn't really have gone in especially if you are still really tired. You've had one hell on an infection by the sound of it and not to be taken lightly. You sound like me - wanting to get back to it and feeling like a wimp and probably can do that most of the times with minor bugs - (as I do - usually a couple of paracetamol or lemsip and I'm on my way) but just sometimes now and again you get laid low by bugs and ther's nothing you can do about it.

Rest is so important - and I'm sure you are eating well, lots of fresh fruit and veg? Did you go off your food while you had the bug - if so maybe an iron or multi-vit tonic, or cod-liver oil? I used to give these to my children after they'd been properly ill.

What you don't want is to do too much when still tired/recovering and end up with a secondary infection - espcially from all the other kids!!

Hurdity  x

Taz2

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »

Thank you! I lasted the day and it wasn't too bad. I feel much better than I did but know that the infection is still grumbling away. I'm going to try for an appointment in the morning to see what happens when I finish this course of antibiotics on Friday.

I wasn't hungry at all in the beginning but am eating better now.

CLKD - the drizzle cheered me up!!  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »

Bet the cats were upset if you went back to work  :catscratch: :cat88: :cat48:  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »

How can drizzle make you cheery.   ;D

Glad you managed the day but rest up tonight if you can.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »

Feet up, fluffy slippers and nice cuppa in front of the TV for you tonight.

Taz2

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »

Today is the last day of the second course of antibiotics (Ciprofloaxcin) and although I am still much better I still feel uncomfy around the bladder and urethra area so I managed to get an appointment with the original doc today.

She was really helpful and explained that I would still be feeling below par due to the fact that it was an established and bad infection. She advised pro-biotics in tablet form as there is not enough whatever-it-is in the drinks to be taken for a month to try to re-establish good gut flora and ward off C.Dif. I have to take in a urine sample on Monday to be tested to make sure the bugs have gone but she did say that with what we have thrown at it she would be really amazed if any had survived. I have to drink no less than two and a half litres throughout the day to keep flushing the kidneys through.

She then talked to be about my prolapse and asked what I was thinking of doing about it. This doc is much better than the other one I see sometimes who totally put me off having any surgery. She was upfront about the fact that all surgery is risky but then talked me through what would be likely to happen if I have nothing done. Her own mum had the same and wouldn't have anything done until, at the age of 75, hers prolapsed properly (eek!) so it was right outside of the body and she obviously had to have emergency surgery. She said that at 59 it's not too bad an age to have it done but by 69 there could be many more problems with recovery. She feels that this kidney infection was due to sex  and that it will only get worse over time - especially as I am at the age to stop HRT. I have an appointment with her next week to "take a peek" because a couple of weeks ago - before the infection - I did have a small amount of bleeding after sex. All related she feels but I am on the "merry go round" of scans and possible hysteroscopy.

Thanks for all your support ladies - I felt so horrible ten days ago!!

Taz x  :thankyou:

Joyce

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

Good to know she's on your side Taz. I use pro-biotic capsules daily. 

I remember being given various antibiotics when I had pneumonia and nothing shifted it. Ended up in hospital on drip versions of various other ones. Thankfully never got C Diff, but oh boy an awful dose of thrush!  Hope that doesn't happen to you!

Taz2

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »

Me too!!

Taz  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10