Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Arthritis question  (Read 2694 times)

honeybun

Arthritis question
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »

I seem to be developing arthritis in one of my fingers. It's the fourth finger on my right hand. It is bending inwards towards the middle finger from the top joint. Up to now it's not been painful but now if I bend it the wrong way then it really hurts.
I also have some lumps and bumps on some of my other fingers. This is really bothering me. I know it's minor but it's unsightly and painful and just makes me feel old.
I can't take anti inflammatory medicines so is there anything else I can do to stop my finger bending any further than it already has. I think this is going to be a real problem.

Anyone got the same kind of thing happening and should I see the GP about it.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

Re: Arthritis question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »

My left thumb has gotten very achy as has my pointer finger on right hand. Finger isn't misshapen as such but top knuckle very large compared to same finger on left hand. Pain bearable for now.
Not sure if you should see GP, unless pain is unbearable of course. I've not bothered to see mine, though may mention it next time I'm there.
Would hand massaging help, or is it too sore for that?

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:41:14 AM »

I would say talk to your GP about it as your finger is bending wrongly.  It may be possible to get some sort of support made to help ease the pain.

I have a form of inflammatory arthritis associated with psoriasis (but the symptoms and treatment are like rheumatoid arthritis), and also can't take anti-inflammatories as I'm allergic to ipruprofen and all its friends!!  I have pain and swelling in the third and fourth finger and base of the thumb of my right hand (and elsewhere, but that's irrelevant here!).  I bought a fingerless glove that provides warmth and slight pressure than I wear when it bothers me (make is Thermoskin - about £20 a pair - I got mine from Boots) and I find is does help, especially with the thumb.

scriv

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »

Honeybun, are you able to use Ibuleve to rub into the finger when it is flaring up? I find that helps the pain in mine.

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

Honeybun my OH had exactly the same symptoms as you, the forth fingers on both hands became swollen and started to bend inwards, he was prescribed  Sulfasalazine which halted the inflammation, pain and progress of the disease.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/sulfasalazine.aspx

He did see a Rheumatologist privately, but I am sure your GP can refer you.

Boron a mineral you should take if you have signs of Arthritis is Boron

http://justmeint1health.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/boron-a-magical-mineral/

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:11:09 AM by silverlady »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »

If ti worries you see a GP?