Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Holidays And Meals.  (Read 10427 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Holidays And Meals.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »

I'm a chocoholic who can't eat chocolate! I was in denial for a long time, ate it and felt ill afterwards.

I am intolerant to wheat and cows dairy, along with meat and fish unless cut very small and cooked in liquid. A lot of processed food causes problems. Can't eat free from bread. So I am condemned to cooking from scratch and eating healthily!  :) I miss toast.

A nutritionist advised me when planning a meal is to start with loads of veg, then add protein and last of all carbs. She also said also have some protein with every meal and eat little but often.

The good news is that after years of problems with certain foods, I can tolerate small amounts occasionally without instant payback, so eating out is not as stressful as it was.

Just seen your last post, though it seems to have disappeared It might help to seek advice from a nutritionist or dietician. My mum has your condition and saw an NHS dietician several times, while fine tuning her diet.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »

I also have diverticulitis and find a good pro biotic helps a lot.

There are so many things you can take to sooth your stomach. Aloe Vera is good as is slippery elm.

Has your GP given you anything at all to help.

Honeyb
X

catlady

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 11:48:47 AM »

Hi JuJu
I have seen a nutritionist, she could only give me liquid meals which gave me so much pain.
Something must have been in them that I can't tolerate.

Honeyb,
I take a probiotic every day, it seems to help a bit.   Iv'e tried slippery elm, didn't help much.
All my GP offered was to take me off of the  fybogel      sachets that I'd been on for years and put me on Laxido.   I feel better off the fybogel but try not to take the Laxido if I can help it as it gripes me.

Ann x

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »

Ok confused now. Is fibogel not for constipation?

Can you not ask your GP for something to help the burning sensation which will be caused by too much acid. PPIs can be great short term. They could calm your stomach down and once it's settled you could then look at a alternatives if you wanted but leaving you with nothing is ridiculous. If they won't prescribe then you can buy zantac over the counter and double the dose to prescription strength.

You need to try something because as Taz says your diet is really not good which will make you feel more run down

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

Fibrogel is often prescribed to stabilise bowel function. I found it helped for a short time but ineffective after a while. Contains sorbitol I think, which can be an irritant for IBS. Lots of meds do, so watch out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »

Is the pain along the bikini line?  Between the belly button and pubic area?  In the bowel area or back passage?  It could be spasms .......... have you been able to tolerate Actimel or LIVE yoghurt to aid 'good' bacteria ...........

Is there an on-line support group ............

Also; goat products are good for people who have allergies and gut problems ......... there are Companies who send products World wide.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

Any improvement?

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »

I'm lactose intolerant and though I hate making a fuss over what I can & cannot eat, have found most restaurants are pretty good at making allowances. If I can, I phone beforehand to check.
I'm lucky in that I don't get the pain, just the usual discomfort of the runs.
Before finding the cause of my problem I had heaps of tests done, they were worried I was in early stages of bowel cancer. My grandmother died of bowel cancer & my mum had diverticulitis. My niece suffers if she eats dairy or wheat.
I cannot tolerate goat or sheep products either. Just have to do without.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »

It is very unusual that someone who is lactose intolerant is unable to take goat products as the lactose is totally different.  I don't like goat/sheep products because they smell like the animal  ::)  ........... I can eat a very mild goat cheese and will at a push drink VERY cold milk but oh the flavour  ;D

I've been OK whilst away this week ........... but we have taken part in a raffle today which will give us a meal for 2 in a Pub. .......... where we like to eat but I can see that, should we win ......  >:(

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »

Yeah that's what I was told CLKD, so tried goat's & sheep's cheese exactly same reaction as with cow's.  A right pain in the butt in more ways than one!  ;D

You'll be fine, if you win, speak to them before you go. Fingers crossed for raffle.

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »

I am very allergic to goats as I found out at a farm park when the children were small. I thought I was dying  ;D my face was swollen and I had trouble breathing. I ended up in a very small cottage hospital. I was given anti histamines and ended up feeling very foolish. I have never tasted any goat products as I am scared I may have the same reaction.
I have a few....well quite a few strange allergies. Thought I might grow out of them and perhaps I have but I am not prepared to take a chance.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »

I am so lactose intolerant that slightest amount sets me off. Ibuprofen tablets for instance - have to take capsules. Even some asthma inhalers are a no-no. Lucky I can take ibuprofen with asthma as it is often contra-indicated.

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »

I think we need to give up or give in.

My mind is fine (ish) but my body is giving up and letting me down.

What next is something I often wonder.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »

As long as the meal isn't within a set period I will be fine: if we can go on the 'off' and even perhaps stay over-night ..........  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]