Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Alternatives to Vagifem  (Read 21325 times)

catlady

Alternatives to Vagifem
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »

I can't use vagifem due to bad side effects, I've also tried a cream but again got
side effects.

Does anyone know of an alternative I could use as the burning and dryness is so painful ?

Ann x

rita

Re: Alternatives to Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »

Hi Ann.  I know how you feel..I cannot use vagifem, then someone suggested trying  Soya isoflavin tablets and soya milk I have found it very helpful.It's worth a try.Hope you feel more comfortable soon! :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:41:06 AM by rita »

rita

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »

:Forgot to mention.Replenish gel I find helps too.your doctor should  prescribe it for you. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:40:08 AM by rita »

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »

Here are some alternatives

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/vaginal-eek-dryness-8-natural-remedies-to-get-you-well-lubricated-again-468836.html

From  MM News  New American guidelines for treating Menopause symptoms 
Date 6 January 2014 

Hot flushes affect from 50% to 82% of US women who experience natural menopause, and 10% to 40% report vaginal atrophy. Of those who have hot flushes, 87% suffer daily and 33% have 10 or more episodes daily. Median duration of vasomotor symptoms is from 4 to 10.2 years

So 60% of women may not have VA problems and could well be using these alternatives naturally and not reporting VA.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:25:40 PM by silverlady »

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

Interesting guidelines from America silverlady. In UK,the British Menopause updated their recommendations in 2013.

What cream did you use and what side effects did you have Ann? Estriol creams are very very weak but do the job - although unfortunately some women are allergic to what the creams are made of. I would recommend Orthgynest pessaries as very gentle - but I doubt you will get hold of these and makes me angry that this excellent product has been discontinued. Gynest cream is the weakest of the other two  but needs an applicator which itself I imagine can cause irritation.

Other than that it will have to be the natural remedies - most of the suggestions in the link below are worth following anyway for everyone  ;), although Black Cohosh is not recommended as a long term solution because of potential adverse effects on the liver (so I've read).

Hurdity x

catlady

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »

Hi ladies
Thanks for the replies.   I have tried replens, it doesn't help much.
I've tried estriol cream which gave me the same side effects as vagifem which were
strong period pains, plus awful pain and heaviness in the tops of my legs, I did carry  on
with the vagifem until I nearly cried with the pain.

I've tried all the  pills for meno symptoms,  black cohosh, sage, etc.. Nothing helped then and I
don't think they are for vaginal dryness.  ???   Looks like I'm stuck with it.   :'(
I haven't had a period for nearly 11 years but still get hot flushes, I can cope with that it's the dryness I find hard to manage.

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »

I sometimes use an oil-based lubricant on the outside, when I just feel I need something to soothe (Yes organic lubricant with shea butter)  It doesn't solve the problem, but it is kind and safe (at least safer than the hemp handcream I had been driven to try, not that that caused any problems, but really it is for hands!).

I find the water based lubricants/moisturisers irritating when my tissues are out of sorts, and was actually blaming them for what I thought was thrush.

There are some things in Boots in the vaginitis section (balance active/ multigyn) if you are adventurous and I have heard of people using vitamin E capsules (if you can find ones that dissolve)

catlady

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »

Hi dahliagirl
Thanks for reminding me about multigyn, I have bought some so here's hoping.  :)

Ann x