Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Dreaded Big 5!!  (Read 11406 times)

Cassie

The Dreaded Big 5!!
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »

Did anyone else dread turning 50 as much as I do or am I just being silly?? Somehow, turning 40 was still kinda cool, but 50, just seems ancient and over the hill. I know that I should not feel like this as I have friends who are in their 70's and who still look and act like 40 year olds. I just feel that I am losing my desirability and my zest for life, probably just hormonal and ridiuculous, but I just cannot shake this feeling of dread, pls tell me that 50 is not the end of the line :) Thx dear ladies x

lily

Re: The Dreaded Big 5!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »

I dreaded it too Cassie and like you I had not minded turning 40, but it is just another number and you get nice pressies!  I don't feel any different after it, other than peri-meno symptoms increasing of course  ::)  I like to think that I don't look like I'm 50 as I dye my hair to keep the grey at bay and try to keep my weight down.  It's really not the end  :)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »

Turning 50 was fine because I felt great  - no sign of any meno symptoms and still had all the energy etc. Turning 60 in a few months time, however, makes me feel totally different. I think we all have particular ages we hate getting to. 30 is a big one for some.

Taz

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »

I was not looking forward to 50 either. It came and it went and the years just roll on by.
I was a lot better fitness wise than I am three years on. I am sitting here on a Saturday night absolutely knackered after having done not a lot.

Enjoy your birthday and make the most of every day.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »

I'm not far off turning the BIG 6  :o  ;D

kes

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »

You'll laugh at this - I hated turning 20!!!  I suddenly realised my mortality at that age.  I am going to be 56 tomorrow, it's not so bad.  TBH, I find there are compensations for getting older - ok the menopause sucks donkey balls, but there is the whole "when I am an old woman I am going to wear purple" thing kicking off.

I find I care much less of what people think of me as I get older - I am what I am - take it or leave it.  I don't think there is any reason to be less desirable over 50 - it is down to the twinkle in the eye, that is what the opposite sex find attractive, they don't notice the saggy bits etc - especially as they have got the same, unless you are a cougar out for 30 year olds!

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »

I too am fast approaching 60. My ambition is to get back my energy and sort out health issues by my birthday so I can get back to enjoying doing the things I love to do. One of the most wonderful, joyful things that has happened to me in my 50s is becoming a grandmother.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »

I am going to be 60 in a few days time and I am looking forward to the celebration. Not being 60. I must get my energy levels sorted out and my anxiety levels lowered. That is my plan...  I don't feel 60 - I still feel mentally alert. I am thinking about rejoining the gym.

Bramble

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »

It really is just a number :)  I turned 50 last year - celebrated in New York with DH.  Since then I feel better, am much fitter and hardly even think about my age unless I have a form to fill in or something.  Could you maybe find a way to celebrate it in style?

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »

Have a wonderful birthday, Bramble! Maybe life begins at 60? More time to do what you want to do?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »

I got to 30 without problems: woke on my 31st feeling down my sides as I lay flat on the bed - really thought I would balloon overnight  ::)  ;D ........ DH asked what I was doing and gave 'the look' when I told him.

The Spring when I was due to be 50 in the Dec. I decided to have a party in the Summer, we picked August Bank Holiday.  Mum was really excited but by then Dad was quite poorly - Brother in Law refused to 'drive through Bank Holiday Traffic and could we please give them an alternative date?' .......... M in L wouldn't come unless B in L drove her: so DH and I went to Rockingham Castle that August and had a Great Time!

Never invited them a gain.  Now we do our 'own thing'  ;).

:cake:   :congrats:   :party09:

Evenstar

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »

Turning 40 was a breeze and I both got married and had my first child in my 40s. Turning 50 I HATED with a vengeance. I'm 51 now. All of a sudden I looked in the mirror and thought Urrrrrgh!!!!!
    But you have to get on with it, so I decided I needed a new hobby. I start as an assistant leader at Rainbows next week :)  We also had to take our daughter out of school last year, so I home school her and in my spare time make carnival costumes.
     Think that'll keep me busy for a while ;D ;D
   Have a wonderful Birthday xx

Cassie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »

Thats exactly how I feel evenstar! But as you say, there is nothing one can do about it, thankyou lovely ladies for your encouragement x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

I see my Mum looking back from the mirror  >:(

miramar

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

All I wanted for my 50th was to sit on a beach with my OH and we did
no party no family no fuss
Its just a number so I dont have problem with it.
One of my sisters has been 32 for the last 12 years cant wait for her 50th.
Pages: [1] 2