Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surgical Menopause  (Read 10951 times)

Babylon Burning

Re: Surgical Menopause
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »

Hi Sparky, I do feel for you as I'm in exactly the same boat.  I had a TAH in March and had to have my ovaries removed as I had ovarian cancer.  Not one single person mentioned surgical menopause!  Thankfully I was aware of it but that's not really the point is it?  My main problems are night (and day!) sweats where I end up absolutely drenched several times a day.  I went to the docs to discuss it and all she could suggest was to go buy some black cohosh. oh and maybe I would feel better once I was more mobile after the surgery!  You should have seen my face!

So I am soldiering on and not sure what else I can do.  I was going to go private but it's a few hundred pounds for a consultation and as I've cut down on work I just can't afford it at the moment.  Sorry I can't be more help but wanted you to know you are not alone.

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »

Hi BB - have you been told you can't take HRT or have you made this decision yourself? The info on this site is interesting - scroll down to Sudden Menopause and see what you think http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/ovarian-cancer/living/recovering-from-ovarian-cancer-surgery

Taz xx

Sparky64

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 08:44:20 AM »

Hi BB.. It's horrible isn't it, like you I was aware of it but just didn't realise how bad it would be.. I seem to get them every 20 minutes morning, noon and night  :'( 
I have read a little about black cohosh but some said it's not good for your liver, don't know what truth there is in it?

I find myself standing on the doorstep at stupid o'clock in the early hours just trying to cool down roll on winter!!

Sparky

Babylon Burning

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »

Hi Taz, thanks for the link.  The idiot GP thought it would probably be a no-no, however, the private GP said she could help me but then money became an issue, isn't it always the way?!

Sparky, I have also read that Black Cohosh can cause liver damage in certain women so I am steering well clear of anything dubious like that.  Apart from anything else I don't expect a medically trained professional to present herbal remedies, I could consult a witch doctor for that if I were so inclined!

Your GP appears to be talking rubbish re side effects as you don't have a cancer issue to muddy the waters.  If I were you I would try to see another doctor as soon as you can and tell him or her exactly what you want.  Meanwhile I will save you a place next to me in front of my large fridge - blessed relief!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »

Could you contact Dr Curry on here?  Have you looked at the UK-based OVACOME web-site - for ovarian cancer information?

Madge11

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:27 PM »

Well I'm one more lady who had a hysterectomy and was dunked into the muddy waters of surgical menopause.  It's sad that this is still going on, because I had my op nearly 7 years ago when I was 44.  I asked my consultant about menopause and she said "you'll have a surgical menopause, but don't worry, you'll be fine" !!!!   She didn't know what she was talking about  :na:

I had been diagnosed with endometrial cancer and she told me I couldn't have hrt.  By the time I was 3 months post op I was having major whole body hot flushes day and night, and because of this I could hardly get more than an hours' sleep, was suicidally depressed, my whole body ached with joint pains, in fact I had just about every symptom you could think off.  This was the worst experience of my life.

After I refused to see the consultant who did my op for check ups my gp referred me to another consultant. This was about 6 months post op.  He took one look at me and said "you need estrogen"  He said he was happy to prescribe it as my cancer was an early stage and he was of the opinion that a low dose hrt would do me more good than harm.  He gave me Estradot patches, just the smallest ones (25?) at first but later it was increased.  Some months after that my gp prescribed anti depressants and I took them for about 18 months.

It's no consolation to those ladies who've just had the op, but the first 2 or 3 years are the worst.  By the time I reached the five year mark I was feeling pretty much back to normal.  Since then I've cut down (and eventually stopped altogether) the hrt.  I still get the occasional hot flush, mostly at night, or if I'm under stress, and I still get tired more easily than I used to but I'm doing OK.

As well as hystersisters, try googling "survivors guide to surgical menopause".  They used to be part of yahoo groups, but I just had a look and they have moved.  The lady who runs this is a mine of information and she helped me a lot.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 [2]