Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Article on how lifestyle changes may prevent certain cancers  (Read 2698 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Article on how lifestyle changes may prevent certain cancers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »

Pretty obvious really.  My Paternal grand-parents ate well - a lot of stodgy foodstuffs but they also had a LOT of exercise - from the age of 4 Grandma walked 4 miles to school in the morning, had a sandwich of pork dripping and a bottle of cold tea for lunch - then back 4 miles at night.  They used a lot of suet in cooking.  Keeps the body warm.

She died aged 86 from what I believed to be a stroke but on the Death Cert. is was something more complicated but rarer
Grandad died from lung cancer ......... aged 71

My Maternal Grand-parents ate less well but still grew their own, raised chickens/rabbits etc. for the table.  She died aged 86 from bile duct cancer and he from pneumolcylicosis probably - he was a baker.  Aged 55.

I think what we eat and GOOD exercise is important.  Refined sugars and fats cause the body to layer fat which can affect the internal organs.  Out of sight, out of mind  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

Yes I think exercise counts for such a lot in staying healthy. I found the alcohol information interesting considering that the guidelines are no more than 14 units a week and a 175ml glass of wine is 2 units but 1.5 units a day puts up the risk of cancer by.. can't remember how much now.. but it does make you think.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »

We are what we eat, I suppose. I've lost weight, just because I was fed up looking overweight. I'm still needing to lose a wee bit more, about 5 KGS, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »

we don't put on weight over night so it won't come off over night  ......... I rarely touch alcohol, I did have half a glass of DH's red wine the other evening but that was in sips not a whole gullop - it was OK-ish, a bit dry.  If really thirsty I grab a bottle of lager  ::) ........... but only take that one gulp to help.

Currently we are picking fruits and veg. from our garden .........