Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Don't know what to do next ??  (Read 8884 times)

Mini2005

Don't know what to do next ??
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »

This forum has been a godsend but up to now I have never posted, just got peace of mind that I wasn't suffering alone.

My many symptoms started towards the end of 2012 but because I have Underactive Thyroid (following radioactive iodine treatment), it took a little time to establish where the symptoms were coming from.  I started taking Elleste 1mg in February but it didn't really suit me so after 1 month I changed to Femoston 1/10.  This was much better but I was still getting a fair amount of anxiety and "low mood".  I then started also taking Starflower Oil and I cut out caffeine completely.  I started to feel my old self then and had no symptoms at all.  My doc was really pleased and we thought we'd cracked it.

In the last 2 or 3 weeks, I have started to experience quite a bit of anxiety again along with aches and pains and feeling a bit "down". It passes but I am really disappointed and started to wonder when I'll ever feel like me again.  I have searched this forum and I think maybe I should ask the doc whether I need to increase my dose of HRT.  It would make sense that maybe my hormone levels have dropped lower and my current dose of HRT just isn't enough anymore.  Can anyone help please ???  :-\

KatieLiz

Re: Don't know what to do next ??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »

I think you have answered your own question!  I started on Femoston 1mg/10mg but after about 6 months, my mood lowered and I felt quite tearful.  I asked my GP if I could up my dose and I have now been taking 2mg/10mg for the past 18 months.

I think in peri menopause our hormones can fluctuate so much.  The GPs usually start you on a lower dose and I think sometimes women find HRT doesn't suit them but don't realise they possibly need a higher dose.

I would make an appt with your GP to discuss trying a higher dose.  Let us know how you get on. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »

:welcomemm:  ........ medication can be Trial and Error as our symptoms alter, which in itself is tiring.  Have you read the menus, left of screen?  Give your surgery a ring and ask for a GP call back so that you can discuss whether to increase the dose?  It won't hurt to ask.

Let us know how you get on!

KatieLiz

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »

Oh and by the way - Welcome to the Forum!

Mini2005

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »

Thanks for your help.  I have read pretty much everything on this site along with anything else I can find but because of the complication of my thyroid issues I sometimes doubt myself.  I know there is no magic answer for any of us but it helps so much to get the opinion of people going through it.

I've had great support from my doctor throughout all of this despite blubbing in his office a couple of times.  He is on holiday at the moment but I have an appointment to see one of the other doctors next week.  I have propanalol to take in the meantime when I need them and I will ask to try a higher dose. 

I will let you know how it goes - might help someone else hopefully  :)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »

Hi there Mini.

As CLKD it can be trial & error. I was on oestrogel until about 15 months ago. I had not been coping too well with flushes. Got a referral to meno clinic and was changed to patches. Initially a higher dose, but now down to lowest dose.

Hope you find your optimum level soon.

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »

:welcomemm:Mini

Dyan x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »

Propranolol should be taken at least once a day.  Which doseage are you on?  Maybe take it on a regular basis to build up a maintenance dose which will help the anxiety.  I take 40mg at night.

Mini2005

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »

When I first had an extremely overactive thyroid 10 years ago, I had to take Propanalol until it was under control.   At the moment my doctor has advised just to take 20 mg as and when required.  They work very quickly for a racing pulse and palpitations and there are days when I don't need them at all.  Propanalol doesn't take away anxiety, it just deals with the symptoms.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »

I take mine every evening and it takes away the anxiety - most of the time.  When it hits badly though I need stronger quick release medication  :-\

Did you ring your GP?

Mini2005

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »

I just have days where I have anxiety and palpitations etc so the propanalol do the trick pretty much straight away.  I have lots of days where I don't need them at all and doc said he doesn't want me to take them all the time if I don't need to.

I finish my last pack of Femoston 1/10 at the end of next week and my appointment with doc is next Thursday.  Good timing for a change of dose if he agrees for me to try the Femoston 2/10. 

Thanks for your help.  I'm not having it as rough as some people seem to do - I just have the complication of thyroid issues too.  My doc says it's a nightmare combination but he's been fantastic.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »

That's good that you have a sympathetic GP, mine usually listens and is able to help too.  Otehrwise I return a week later saying 'I wasn't quite awake when you explained ........ last week'  ::)

Let us know how you get on!

Mini2005

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »

I saw my doc last Thursday and said before he increased my HRT dose, he wanted me to try taking Propanalol on a daily basis to see if it helps.  He told me to take 20mg 3 times a day until Tuesday then call him to tell him if it helped.    Previous to seeing him, I didn't have anxiety every day and could go a few days without any problems.  Since starting daily Propanalol on Friday, I have found that I have been getting anxiety symptoms 4 or 5 hours after the last dose.  Today I have had the the most horrendous anxiety all day despite taking the Propanalol.  I don't know why this is, but it certainly hasn't helped.

I will ring my doc tomorrow as requested and tell him how it has been.  I think the most logical step now is to try the Femoston 2/10.  Just hope this doesn't make things worse.  Anyone else had this problem with Propanalol?

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »

Hi Mini2005

I have no experience of propanolol and presume this is medication connected to your thyroid condition?

However if you were getting a resumption of some of the symptoms of menopause that led you to ask for HRT in the first place, then my first port of call would always be to increase the HRT rather than increase other medication, unless your physical condition (ie the thyroid problem) requires it. After all the HRT - well the oestrogen anyway - is something we already have in our bodies which you are just replacing whereas the propanolol is a drug.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

You may be anxious because you have upped the dose or it might physiologically be affecting you.   My neighbour couldn't tolerate it but I take 40mg at night and when necessary 40mg the next morning.  Add to that another drug for the really bad days on an as necessary basis  ::)

Did you ring him yet?
Pages: [1] 2