Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tailbone!  (Read 19878 times)

Pauline

Tailbone!
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »

I have had coccyx pain for seven months now and although an MRI revealed no sinister findings it still hurts when I sit for any length of time. Worst thing is I can't ride!! Has anyone had experience of coccyx pain and how did you cope?

Suzi Q

Re: Tailbone!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »

HJeat packs and Chiropractor xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »

I managed to bend mine out of shape years ago after lifting someone at work (before hoists etc) and the pain was excrutiating.  I ended up going to see a physio as we were just about to go on holiday - she manipulated it which hurt like a bit*h but it did ease the pain off a lot.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »

Yep.  Due to a long story  :'( I had to sit on a thick cushion for 6 months, imagine that, in school  :o
Swimming was painful but did help.
No medication.

You can buy cut out cushions so that the buttocks perch and the cocyxx area is in the 'hole' to ease any pressure of sitting

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »

Mine happened many moons ago. In my teens in fact. We were all showing off who could kick their height, except I somehow ended up doing it with both legs!  Landed with an almighty bump. Pain took forever to go away.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

I am pretty sure I broke mine. I slipped coming down a cobbled stair and landed on a sticking up bit of cobble. I have never felt pain like it. I could hardly walk for days and it took months to get better. I never saw anyone about it though.

CG, how on earth did you get both legs off the ground at once. Don't mean to laugh as I know how sore it is....but.... ;D

Honeyb
X

Tabbycat

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:36 PM »

Yep, got that too - a few years ago now, for absolutely no reason, and it was really painful, especially during yoga, and lasted for ages - about a year, I think.

I was careful not to sit on hard floors (well, it was too painful to!), bolstered myself up with thick cushions when I could but generally felt miserable the whole time.

Like all the other weird meno symptoms, it started from nothing and just as suddenly stopped.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »

Wish I knew HB. I'd have to ask my 2 friends who were with me at the time. Once they'd stopped laughing of course. They couldn't believe what I'd just done.  It's not something I've cared to repeat, but oh boy the pain was incredible. When I walked, it looked like I'd been on horseback for a very long time. A leg at each corner springs to mind!  ;D Strangely I'd forgotten all about it until I had reflexology a few years back and the therapist asked if I'd ever had a bad fall on my tailbone?

Pauline

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

Thanks for all these replies. Mine started from nothing really. I have got a cushion with the strategic hole in it and that helps a bit. The worst thing, apart from no riding, is that I can't sit in the hard bath and I love a good soak.
Oh well. Here's hoping it goes as suddenly as it came. If it lasts a year I am over half way through!!

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »

Hi Pauline,

I've had it on and off for about a year. Started from nothing. Hurts if I sit too long and when I go from sitting to standing so you're not alone xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »

Can you not cut a sponge appropriately?  I lay down in mine even to wash  ;)

Pauline

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »

That's an idea. Thank you. It's frustrating but good to know, from the experiences of others, that this nuisance will eventually cease.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »

I find it painful if I get constipated, even though it is over 35 years ago  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »

Hi Pauline - although this site is American I wondered if there was anything on there you haven't tried? http://www.coccyx.org/

Taz x

fiorinda

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »

OMG! Just seen this thread!! I've been suffering pain in my coccyx for months now, thought it was just me!! When I was a child, about 8 or so, I fell out of a tree in a sitting position and landed in the same position, and probably cracked my coccyx. Didn't have any more problem with it till I went back to college after my second child was born (when I was 28) and sitting in classes all day made it flare up - doc said it was inflamed. A child's blow-up swimming ring to sit on really helped and eventually it went away. Recently (so another 20+ years later) it has flared up again. I do sit at a desk half the week, but I've been doing that for 8 years now. It doesn't hurt when I'm sitting, but it really hurts when I sit down and stand up. I didn't know why it had suddenly started to hurt again for no apparent reason - but maybe it's related to peri, like all the other bloody miserable problems!!
Pages: [1] 2