Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Cat Pancreatitis.  (Read 7870 times)

catlady

Cat Pancreatitis.
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »

Hi
I'm just wondering if there are any cat owners who have a cat that suffers with pancreatitis ?
My cat has been at the vets with this since yesterday,  it looks likely she will have to stay
over the weekend as she is on a drip.

Any info welcome as I'm devastated and don't know what the outcome will be.
It's the 1st time this as been diagnosed so don't have any experience of it.  :'(

Ann x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cat Pancreatitis.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »

I can't remember  ::)  :-\
Make an appt to see your Vet./Nurse next week with a list of questions before the cat comes home.  That way you will be prepared.  Puss will probably need a special diet.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »

Sorry about your cat Ann. It will depend on the cause of his illness I think as to how well she recovers. I use this organisation for advice and they have seen my cat when the vet failed to diagnose an illness. This is from the patients log http://www.fabcats.org/owners/pancreatitis/pancreatitis_case.html

Fingers crossed for her.

Taz x

catlady

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »

Thanks CLKD. 

Thanks for the link Taz.   I will have to ask my vet some questions.
Puss is still on a drip,  she is looking brighter but still not eating yet.
The thing is my vet doesn't do 24/7 care so I have to travel 20 miles away so she can
be looked after during the night,  then take her back to my vets for the day, then it's back 20 miles for overnight care!!     

I will be looking for a new vet who does 24/7 care hopefully when she's better!!

Ann xx

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »

Really sorry about your cat Ann.

The constant driving must be a pain, for both you and the cat. However, on the bright side, she probably prefers to be at home rather than the vets.

Can totally understand you wanting to get a new vet who does 24/7 care

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »

I thought that a UK Vet Surgery HAS to provide 24/7 care in order to be given planning permission and a Licence to Practice?  I hope that your Surgery is paying for the petrol  :-\ ..........

catlady

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

Thanks Limpy.

I thought that a UK Vet Surgery HAS to provide 24/7 care in order to be given planning permission and a Licence to Practice?  I hope that your Surgery is paying for the petrol  :-\ ..........

No such luck CLKD,   she's home now, but it's back to my vets tomorrow for a check up to see she's ok.
It's been an 160 mile journey back and forth to the overnight vets,  thats not counting the trips back to
my local vets !

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

None of our local vets offer 24/7 care. They are discharged at the end of the day no matter what they have had done. The nearest constant care facility is the vet hospital and they are referral only.

Honeyb
X

valiantkate

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »

Hi, my cat had the same, it was a worrying time and was put on a drip and kept in for two days/ nights, but she fully recovered and was back to her old ways before too long. I had to modify her diet slightly as she'd been fed on 'human' food by my dad in law before he died- we had inherited 'Sooty' from him. She lived to be a very old Puss- much loved by us all and fondly remembered. Dont worry too much, nice to know that there are loads of lovely animal lovers out there. It must be a royal pain in the a*** to make such a long journey though.
Hope your cat fully recovers.

catlady

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

Hi Kate
Thanks for your reply  :)     Glad to hear your cat went on to live normally afterwards.
My cat is very special as she was a birthday present from hubby 9 years ago.
She's a cream Birman with a very loving personality,  all the vets and nurses love her !!

She seems more like her old self again now,  she's a bit underweight after no food for days but
she's eating again now so hopefully she'll put a bit of weight back on.

Another problem is one of my other cats seems to have "forgotten" her and keeps growling
when she's near him.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

I expect she smells of the vet's! so he's making sure that he isn't next to go there  ;)